So I am going to get a Gibson Explorer soon but I am having a bigger debate over which amp to get this Explorer with. So far my main option is a Fender Frontman 100w. I've used this amp before and I like it, but how well do you guys think it will sound with an explorer? Is there an amp that you ppl recommend that goes fairly well with a Gibson explorer? Thanks for your advice.
the fender frontman is awfull.
You should spend some more money on the amp than on the guitar.
A nice marshall/bugera/peavey with an epiphone explorer will sound ten times better than a crap amp with a gibson explorer.
What is your total budget for guitar and amp?
Are you willing to go used?
Do you gig?
Where do you live?
fender sounds nice!

EDIT: well i guess i say tht because i have a 'good' spider 3 but now want tone, which the spider barely has.
Last edited by huskyplayer at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by huskyplayer
fender sounds nice!

Not the frontman series. At least not without a pedal - I put a Zoom G1X in front of it and now it sounds ok. But to be honest, there is not much sound of the actual amp left.
I agree with henis .

In terms of contribution to tone: Amp > Guitar

I have a friend who runs a PRS custom 24 through a Line 6 Spider III
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
that sounds like me - but I'm getting a good amp soon so its all ok.

My buddy still thinks his tone is good...and this is about his 6th year of playing
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

If you are spending a lot of money on a quality guitar like a Gibson Explorer, you should get a good amp to go with it. Save for something better; preferably a good tube amplifier.
Whats your entire budget?
What genres/bands do you want to sound like?

Also have you considered going used on both items, you could get great quality stuff for less.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Don't buy an expensive guitar, and a crap amp. You'll still sound like ****.

Get a good amp first, the chances are that you have an okay guitar. After that, you upgrade your guitar.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
i don't know why i read into this that he is going to be getting an explorer. not buying one, getting one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
i don't know why i read into this that he is going to be getting an explorer. not buying one, getting one.

+1

Nowhere does he state that he's "buying" one.
^ fail.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by zillafan74
If you want to be a rockstar, you'll get a higher end Marshall.

All I have to say is:

i want a silverburst...

congrats on the explorer TS!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by TOMMYB22
^ fail.

There was a little sarcasm there, but really, I love the JCM800.
hi everyone. thanks for the feedback so far.
just to clarify...

i WILL be BUYING a gibson explorer.

Now for the amp...

I will be out playing in small venues, hence the 100wts. I'm looking for a rather small solid-state combo amp but to play in a the smaller venues some medium size ones. Price it at maybe... max $700... I've saved for a long time. And I play rock music (nothing really hardcore metal... just... rock)... and some blues.

I know what a good clean tone sounds like... I just don't know which amps produce such tone. That's where I'd like your help. Just yell out a model that you think is good... that will make a Gibson Explorer sound good... and under the budget of course.

I do appreciate your help. Thanks again!
Quote by LuiRok
hi everyone. thanks for the feedback so far.
just to clarify...

i WILL be BUYING a gibson explorer.

Now for the amp...

I will be out playing in small venues, hence the 100wts. I'm looking for a rather small solid-state combo amp but to play in a the smaller venues some medium size ones. Price it at maybe... max $700... I've saved for a long time. And I play rock music (nothing really hardcore metal... just... rock)... and some blues.

I know what a good clean tone sounds like... I just don't know which amps produce such tone. That's where I'd like your help. Just yell out a model that you think is good... that will make a Gibson Explorer sound good... and under the budget of course.

I do appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Well that changes everything then.

You should really spend more money on your amp than your guitar since your amp is the main source of your tone. Also, I'm not trying to bash SS amps because there are some nice SS amps (Ampeg VH140 and Roland JC are two very nice and very popular SS amps, just to name a couple) but you are pretty much ruining the point of having a Gibson if you're playing it through an SS amp since SS amps aren't very responsive to different pickups/woods/etc. like tube amps are.
Get a higher end tube Fender combo and a good OD/distortion pedal.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
In your case a 100W combo or half-stack from B-52 would probably be a good way to go. You get a potent tube amp for tearing up the clubs and when you need to keep the volume down you still have a practice amp. If you can go used one keep an eye on Craigslist, etc., people seem to dump them all the time because they get them with no idea of just how loud/big they really are. Last week I saw two half stacks sell for $200 and $350!
Quote by jpnyc
In your case a 100W combo or half-stack from B-52 would probably be a good way to go. You get a potent tube amp for tearing up the clubs and when you need to keep the volume down you still have a practice amp. If you can go used one keep an eye on Craigslist, etc., people seem to dump them all the time because they get them with no idea of just how loud/big they really are. Last week I saw two half stacks sell for $200 and $350!

Why settle for a mediocre budget tube amp when he could get something much better simply by adjusting his budget?
+1 to the 'lower your guitar budget, raise your amp budget' suggestion

Your guitar won't make as big of a difference in your sound as your amp will.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

I'm with everyone here saying to spend less on the guitar and more on the amp. If you bought something like an Epiphone Explorer instead (or heck, there are many other decent explorer clones out there, especially if you look used), you'll have money for an amazing amp.

"Rock" can be kind of a vague term, but try out some nice tube amps. Most do not sound "bad" at lower volumes like some people say. High end Fenders like the Bassman would definitely be worth looking into, or maybe an old Marshall JCM 800 or JMP combo. Or perhaps something boutique? The amp is most of your tone, so bear that in mind. Try stuff out!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
First off, The explorer's pickups are pretty damn hot, so if you're not playing with a lot of gain and some somewhat heavy stuff than they will be out of place a little bit.

Maybe something with tamer pickups, especially for blues?

Something with some standard PAF's should probably be alright.

You should also think about looking used for both the guitar and amp to save money. You will be able to stretch your budget. I would recommend a JCM 800 combo, and a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Both used that is in your budget, assuming you were planning on getting the Explorer new thats about 1100, and the 700 you tossed in for a guitar. 1800 can get you a les paul studio and a 800 if you're lucky.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
TS, if you are set on getting an Explorer, then don't come here for help... All you will get is people trying to tell you to spend less on the guitar. I do not know what style of music you are playing, but maybe a Bugera 6260 would be good at this price range?

If you are not absolutely set, then heed their advice.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
TS, all i'm gonna say for now is what most everyone else is advising: allocate some more money towards the amp fund, and you won't be creating a 'i have a sweet guitar but my tone still kinda stinks...time for new amp?' thread. if you buy a mediocre (assuming you don't get a great amp for $700-which wouldn't be surprising if you went for a brand new one and not used) amp, that'll set you back further in the long run b/c you'll lose money just from buying an amp and then trying to resell it for a price someone will buy at (unless you're savvy with your pricing, like some UGers are here) and then saving money to add to THAT, just to get an amp you coulda got in the first place from dropping a few hundred from your guitar fund and putting it towards the amp fund.

sooo, yea, i say if you have 1K to spend on an amp, especially used, you're going to get one HELL of an amp, and STILL get one hell of a guitar as well....i'll try to refrain from suggesting lesser known guitar brands lol....not trying to completely reinvent the way your mind thinks.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out