I play on a really crappy amp ( not even for a guitar, its my pc speaker , since I'm broke i can't afford an amp ) So anyway, I'm trying to learn the verse riff of harvester of sorrow and my hand is really tense doing all those power chord slides and stuff since i'm still just a beginner, but i noticed that if i turn up the volume by alot, my hand is much less tense and it's just much easier to play. I don't know why is it like that, but has anyone else experienced this? Or is this just an illusion by the mind.

P.S Sorry if wrong section of forum, wasn't sure where to put this.
You're just imagining it, you're probably simply enjoying it more because louder always equals more fun.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MaXiMuse
If your speaker is soft, you might think that you have to play harder. When it`s loud you might be more relaxed because you can hear yourself properly

Gunna agree with this
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by MaXiMuse
If your speaker is soft, you might think that you have to play harder. When it`s loud you might be more relaxed because you can hear yourself properly...

could be...

Yeh I think this is it. I suffer from a similar problem, in that when the guitar is quieter I feel like I want to play harder, but since I'm aware of it, it's not too much of a problem.

Just trust that it'll come out the same w/e the volume and turn it up if you really need to. I know it's a weird feeling, but with electric guitar you don't have control over the guitar's volume, the amp does.
I often have to practice unplugged - I have two young kids, 6 and 2, so any time after about 8 or 9 and I have to make sure that I don't wake them up. In some respects, this is good practice, it takes a lot more solid technique to get your notes flowing nicely when you don't have any amplification and esp. distortion. What I do notice though is that when I practice unplugged I've got a tendency to pick a little bit harder - same thing for hammer on's high on the neck. So, I'd say it's probably not an illusion. And probably, when it's louder you can lose yourself in what your doing more easily, hence the less tension.
If your speaker is soft, you might think that you have to play harder. When it`s loud you might be more relaxed because you can hear yourself properly...

louder always equals more fun.

+1 +1

All you really need to do is hold the strings down just enough to make the note without ringing, as close as you can to the fret.
And all you need to pick, is enough to make noise. Practicing hammer-ons (pull offs also)unplugged will greatly improve them though! If you can hear them unplugged they usually turn out very clean when adding distortion.

Electric guitar is meant to be played loud, so crank it up!

(for those of us with kids - Crank up the... Headphones. )
This is what i use to play (when I need to not make to much noise i.e.late at night)

It is connected via USB no power leads or batteries
You can have virtually any amp & pedal combination & listen to it via headphones (only) in real time + you can record & edit. In short I bought a second one to be able to practice at work LOL. The recorded files are in wav format & you can play them through media player or put them on CD etc & they sound as good as , well as good as you are !!

edit: oh yeah it uses the Guitar Rig 2 software (supplied).

For $50 AUD i cant fault it.

eBay link :
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GUITAR-2-USB-RECORDING-INTERFACE-VOCAL-AUDIO-TRAINER-G3_W0QQitemZ350297318047QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Instrument_Accessories?hash=item518f58e29f
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Dec 27, 2009,