Page 1 of 2
Just as it says on the tin, my Mum thought it'd be a great idea to throw my new Silverface Bassman in a family brawl and, when I turned it on again, it's got a weird distorted undertone under the sound... What the Hell has she done to it, and how can I repair it?

She's said that she'll pay for any repairs needed and I am moving out over this little mood swing... I'm so pissed off.
Hit her with a brick.
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Oh lawd. Repair your family relationships before that amp! Seriously...

To me it sounds like the tubes F'ed up. Maybe try re-seating the tubes? They probably got knocked around pretty bad when she threw your amp around .
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Just take it to a repair shop, it'll probably cost a lot, but it's your mums fault, and she'll pay, so...
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
HellBoy, I've spent my whole life trying to sort out my family problems and at 20 I think the best thing I can do is get up and leave them all to it. As soon as she's paid for the amp repair and paid back the £160 she owes me I'm out.
Quote by Aidy Damage
HellBoy, I've spent my whole life trying to sort out my family problems and at 20 I think the best thing I can do is get up and leave them all to it. As soon as she's paid for the amp repair and paid back the £160 she owes me I'm out.

Fair enough

Sounds a bit stupid to chuck an amp around knowing you have to pay for repairs, but whatever

Just try re-seating the tubes. If that doesn't work then probably take it to a tech.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
Fair enough

Sounds a bit stupid to chuck an amp around knowing you have to pay for repairs, but whatever

Just try re-seating the tubes. If that doesn't work then probably take it to a tech.

i might assume alcohol was a factor, which decimates all forms of logic.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
No alcohol 'cos she's on cancer meds. She just throws things when she's angry, and she was angry at Eastenders. I have a wonderful family life, don't I?
Quote by Aidy Damage
No alcohol 'cos she's on cancer meds. She just throws things when she's angry, and she was angry at Eastenders. I have a wonderful family life, don't I?

family members battling a life threatening illness take president over tube amps in my world. if my mom was battling cancer i'd let her throw my gear off a roof if it made her feel any better. set the shit on fire if she wants. they are just things, she is a life giving human being.

you need to rethink your position here friend, she gave you life.

just my opinion.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Cancer isn't much of an excuse for breaking a possesion that someone loves. And i was so happy for you when you posted in the NAD thread about it too, i didn't post it but i was thinking it.

I guess it might be a preamp tube or something in that region.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by gregs1020
family members battling a life threatening illness take president over tube amps in my world. if my mom was battling cancer i'd let her throw my gear off a roof if it made her feel any better. set the shit on fire if she wants. they are just things, she is a life giving human being.

you need to rethink your position here friend, she gave you life.

just my opinion.

I agree with you, Greg. People, especially family members, are much more important than material possessions. I'd focus on repairing your relationship with your mom before repairing an amp.

Also, she has a terminal illness. If chucking guitar amps around makes her happy then you should just let her be happy. If I were in your situation I admit that I'd be a bit upset about the whole thing but if at the end of the day it made my mom happy then I would care a lot less about the whole thing.
Throwing things around doesn't make people happy, frankly. It's not something people do to show joy, is it. I think moving out would be a sensible option at Aidy's age. Moving out does not mean severing all ties with family, it means getting your own place and your own front door. I think Aidy knows what he needs to do guys
Letting my Mum treat me like a piece of crap is a bit of a stupid thing to do. I've been quiet about it on UG, but I'm having scans and tests at the moment to ascertain whether or not I too have cancer, as I've been showing a lot of the symptoms and my doctor feels that I should be tested, as both of my parents had cancer very young.

I've also had a lot of personal battles this year and, as I've also been quiet about, several failed suicide attempts and broken-down relationships. Treating other people and their prized possessions with total disrespect isn't therapy at all.

She's not terminal, she's on the mend, but most importantly is that she's been like this all the time, before cancer. Me and my Mum are very close, but she's a very volatile person and I feel that the time has come for me to distance myself a little.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Letting my Mum treat me like a piece of crap is a bit of a stupid thing to do. I've been quiet about it on UG, but I'm having scans and tests at the moment to ascertain whether or not I too have cancer, as I've been showing a lot of the symptoms and my doctor feels that I should be tested, as both of my parents had cancer very young.

I've also had a lot of personal battles this year and, as I've also been quiet about, several failed suicide attempts and broken-down relationships. Treating other people and their prized possessions with total disrespect isn't therapy at all.

She's not terminal, she's on the mend, but most importantly is that she's been like this all the time, before cancer. Me and my Mum are very close, but she's a very volatile person and I feel that the time has come for me to distance myself a little.

It's no excuse. I agree entirely. You shouldn't want to throw somebody's things in the first place as an outlet for anger.

I offer you my condolences. It takes a big man to step up and spill your guts out to random people like us. I hope everything goes well for you.

As for the amp, is there an increase in hum or buzz? Do you smell smoking or anything when you're using it?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by ze monsta
Throwing things around doesn't make people happy, frankly. It's not something people do to show joy, is it. I think moving out would be a sensible option at Aidy's age. Moving out does not mean severing all ties with family, it means getting your own place and your own front door. I think Aidy knows what he needs to do guys

This. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Aidy, really hope everything's alright man
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Aidy Damage

Well then i think you know what to do. This isn't the pit so it's not the best place to talk about this but theres no reason to stay around if she makes you feel like crap. The independence might be just what you need.

Good luck with your tests too man, i wish you the best for that.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by ze monsta

No, people don't throw things to show joy. However she obviously throws things as a method of venting anger and/or frustrations, thus making her feel better.

Also, he's moving out because he has a bad relationship with his family so chance are things will just stay the same or the relationship will worsen. He needs to try to make things better rather than saying "**** this - I'm leaving" because doing so is essentially just giving up all together.

Quote by Aidy Damage

All, let me repeat myself, ALL cancer is considered terminal.

And not to go too deep into your personal life but I guarantee you that there are people, even other UG members, who have lived much, much worse lives than you and have been treated far worse than you have been. Take a look around and what you have and be appreciative of it all rather than being so pessimistic about your life.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
No, people don't throw things to show joy. However she obviously throws things as a method of venting anger and/or frustrations, thus making her feel better.

Also, he's moving out because he has a bad relationship with his family so chance are things will just stay the same or the relationship will worsen. He needs to try to make things better rather than saying "**** this - I'm leaving" because doing so is essentially just giving up all together.

All, let me repeat myself, ALL cancer is considered terminal.

And not to go too deep into your personal life but I guarantee you that there are people, even other UG members, who have lived much, much worse lives than you and have been treated far worse than you have been. Take a look around and what you have and be appreciative of it all rather than being so pessimistic about your life.

Highly debatable. She could feel better after throwing the amp, sure, but the consequences and guilt following her actions will likely to stop that. When you're angry,
you aren't thinking and the things that you do don't hit you until you cool off. You could take that any way but I think people who are prone to outbursts like that likely continue due to feeling guilty of having outbursts like that and the damage it does.

Just my $0.02
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah, there's hum and buzz now.

metalhead, I know you're just trying to offer advice and all, but you're not in my situation and you don't know the half of it. I just need to do something for me for once.
in the grand scheme of things it boils down to a few things.

people a people, things are things.

take care of the people, things can come and go.

sorry to hear about your troubles, we all have them to a vast degree. life does that.

retube the fender when you can. pray for your family as i'm sure we will. peace.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I think it might be a tube issue. If you haven't replaced your filter caps in a year or so (if ever, some people dont ), you should look in to having those replaced as well. You'll notice your amp will seem a lot more lively and present after all is said and done.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I don't think it's had the filter caps replaced since the 70s!

Just got it a few days ago- I'll call up the previous owner and ask him about its service history.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I don't think it's had the filter caps replaced since the 70s!

Just got it a few days ago- I'll call up the previous owner and ask him about its service history.

I think you should just take it to an amp tech and have it serviced. I think it's always a good idea when buying used or vintage gear.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
If I'm ever in the UK or you're ever in Canada, I'll call you up on that offer.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
In fact, if the time ever arises, we can just have a party with cake then. I want to take the band over to Canada. Every band I've talked to who has been has said it's awesome. Like America, but better.
Quote by Aidy Damage
In fact, if the time ever arises, we can just have a party with cake then. I want to take the band over to Canada. Every band I've talked to who has been has said it's awesome. Like America, but better.

I don't think we're so much like America. Maybe Toronto and the bigger cities. We have better pot then those damn yanks anyways. Not that I would know or anything...

If you're ever going to be gigging in Ottawa, I'd love to check out that Bassman in action dude.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
We'll see what I can get booked! Is your username a Misfits reference, by any chance?

I've just fixed the amp by myself- tube switching worked! Me and Mum are back to normal now, too. We're very close, but we're both really emotional people and sometimes that gets in each others' way.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Just as it says on the tin, my Mum thought it'd be a great idea to throw my new Silverface Bassman in a family brawl and, when I turned it on again, it's got a weird distorted undertone under the sound... What the Hell has she done to it, and how can I repair it?

She's said that she'll pay for any repairs needed and I am moving out over this little mood swing... I'm so pissed off.

What kind of person would have that little respect for someone else's property? Cancer or no cancer she needs to chill, or a bit of a kick. She's not doing herself any good.
Quote by Aidy Damage

thats the impression i got when visiting canada. ah i love it there haha. and aidy, im sorry about your situation and ill be praying for you and your family.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Thanks for all the love and prayers. This is why GG&A >>>>>> Pit. Love and circuitry.
haha this is true.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
in agreement with everyone else, I'd try to make it up with your mum - cancer is tough, and if (god forbid) a few weeks after you moved out she died of it, you'd feel like total shit. We aren't here to give you family advice, but it never hurts to keep in a good relationship and help her through these tough times. If my mum had cancer and thought it'd make her feel better, I'd let her ****ing bandsaw my PRS without buying a replacement!

Anyway, like I said, UG isn't the Jerry Springer Show, so try to reseat the tubes, open it up and check everything is still soldered in properly, and if none of that works, take it to a tech.
Keep it the way it is and get a new amp. in 25 years you'll be trying to get that very same sound.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
in agreement with everyone else, I'd try to make it up with your mum - cancer is tough, and if (god forbid) a few weeks after you moved out she died of it, you'd feel like total shit. We aren't here to give you family advice, but it never hurts to keep in a good relationship and help her through these tough times. If my mum had cancer and thought it'd make her feel better, I'd let her ****ing bandsaw my PRS without buying a replacement!

Anyway, like I said, UG isn't the Jerry Springer Show, so try to reseat the tubes, open it up and check everything is still soldered in properly, and if none of that works, take it to a tech.

Aidy said the amp is sorted now, and he's put across the message that him and his mum are already close, and their relationship is just a bit volatile and tentative sometimes.

Good luck with everything man, and looking forward to some recordings with this thing.
There's already some recordings with my producer's bassman 70, one is already on the myspace in unmastered form- click my sig!
I hope you're ok mate
Bassmans are tough amplifiers. Hum and Buzz sounds like shotty capacitors, something that happens on most vintage amps, it probably was about to need them replaced anyway.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Too bad, nice amp. If all the tubes are seated properly I would also say it's probably a capacitor.
It is indeed a capacitor- you're right! Wow- the fall probably did nothing to it... these things are tanks!
Page 1 of 2