I mean their low wattage offerings. Apparently they have no power amps similar to what others use.

For Blackstar HT-5 it's 1xECC83 and 1x12BH7 valves

Blackheart also do not use a real power tube.

They do this to get low volumes, compared to AC4TV which is a true tube design but using an attenuator.

So, do you classify these blackheart/blackstar as the marshall AVT class of amps?

They are tube amps.

No you cannot classify them with the Marshall ATV amps because those amps are just gimmick SS amps.
the 1x12bh7 is used as a power tube in the ht5.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by SimplyBen

Does it matter?

using a tube in the power amp as opposed to using a ss circuit?

naw...

i'm pretty sure you were eyerolling the TS ben, just taking the option to be capt obvious...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by SimplyBen

Does it matter?

Big +1 to Ben.

Seriously, if you think they sound good then it shouldn't matter if they have tubes in them or SS circuitry or even if they're powered by a bag of skittles, a button, and two pieces of yarn.
What everyone else said...
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by gregs1020
using a tube in the power amp as opposed to using a ss circuit?

naw...

i'm pretty sure you were eyerolling the TS ben, just taking the option to be capt obvious...

Curse you Captain Obvious
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

That's a stupid way of thinking.

They're not a 100% tube signal path - as far as I know the HT-5 uses some diode clipping to increase the gain, not unlike having an onboard tubescreamer. Some snobs call this' cheating' but it sounds great so who gives a damn? Hell, the Marshall Jubilee uses clipping diodes - and that's widely seen as the best amp they've ever made...
Well w a single preamp tube its gonna be hard to get high gain without some SS help. But TS it is a tube amp. It may not be a marshall w a pile of tubes in it. But its not a hybrid with a tube running at starvation voltage so they can try to claim it has tube tone.
which blackheart are we talking about? cause the little giant uses an EL84, which is a power tube...
sure the killer ant uses a second 12ax7 as a power tube, but its still a tube based "power amp" section.
same kinda thing with the blackstar ht-5. might not be a traditional setup tube wise, but its still a tube amp.

anyone who thinks they dont qualify as a tube amp obviously doesnt know what they are on about.
what the **** are you on about?
Blackheart use EL84s - the same as the fabled Vox AC30, AC15, many early Marshalls and several very respectable Mesa Boogies. I've never heard of the Blackstars 1x12BH7 power amp tube, but it is very much still a power amp tube and just because it isn't common dosen't mean it isn't real!
they're not power tubes? if they're used in the power section, they're power tubes, presumably. Just because they're not the "usual" ones, doesn't mean they're not power tubes.

That being said, i think the blackstar has a ton of SS stuff in there too (it's somewhat based on their pedals), but it's still technically a tube amp if it has a tube power amp, and partly tube preamp, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know about the Blackheart but my tech and I went over the Blackstar pretty extensively. It is "technically" a tube amp but that is stretching the definition very very thinly. The thing has something like 12-13 op amp stages and only 2 of them are run through tubes. The rest are most definitely transistor based. Whether that matter or not is up to you of course. I still think mine sounds great for bedroom playing.
AcousticMirror hit the nail on the head about the HT-5. There is quite a lot of SS tech in there. Credit is due to Blackstar though. Despite it's SS attributes it still sounds, and behaves, enough like a tube amp to keep me happy while I'm rocking out in my bedroom.

To address the actual topic, yer dumb. A tube is a tube. They all make power. A power tube isn't a power tube because it makes power (makes me wonder what you think the preamp tubes make). It's a power tube because it's a tube that's being used in the power amp section.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Tackleberry
But its not a hybrid with a tube running at starvation voltage so they can try to claim it has tube tone.

You, sir, obviously don't know what a hybrid is. Check out a Randall V2 and get back to me.
haha, well it's not a hybrid because there's no ss power or pre-amp section, only op amps.
But I can't help laughing at the Randall V2...1 whole 12at7 in the poweramp section. That's a tube with the raw brootalz power of roughly 3/5 of a 12ax7...which itself is a bajillion less then a single el84. That's some real power tube distortion right there.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
haha, well it's not a hybrid because there's no ss power or pre-amp section, only op amps.
But I can't help laughing at the Randall V2...1 whole 12at7 in the poweramp section. That's a tube with the raw brootalz power of roughly 3/5 of a 12ax7...which itself is a bajillion less then a single el84. That's some real power tube distortion right there.

Maybe they've changed the design but the original V2s were three 12AX7s in the preamp and a Mosfet power section, no tubes. Therefore its a hybrid.
i'm not arguing that it's a hybrid. I'm just laughing because it's also a magic trick.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror

what the hell do you think an op amp is?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ITT: Ignorant people not buying blackstars because they're not "tr00 t00b"
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz

I was thinking the same thing. Who cares. I would rather worry about my actual playing then debates like that.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by SquierLolz

But how do you expect us to achieve tr00 tonez without teh tr00 t00b amps!? WE NEEDZ ONLY TR00 T00BZZZZ!!!!!!!one!!1!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
I was thinking the same thing. Who cares. I would rather worry about my actual playing then debates like that.

i'd rather have an Ampeg vh-140 then a lot of expensive high gain tube amps.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H