You guys ever feel that you've hit rock bottom, and you just dont really want to play guitar anymore? I have. And i really dont know what to do! I feel that i cant learn anymore, and that i suck. I was lookin forward to getting some tips, to keep playing, and to keep getting better.. Please help me! =X
Man, when you hit that rut, just switch it up a bit. Learn a different style of playing (If you play blues, learn jazz or something), learn a different instrument, take a little break...

You'll most likely feel a fresh wave of inspiration the next time you pick up your axe.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Keep on playing, try different things, do technique exercises, learn techniques you haven't done before, make a song, improvise over backing tracks.. etc etc
I have the same feeling sometimes.. but it doesn't really stop me from playing and I get lots of selfconfidence when I get over it.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by RDSElite
Keep on playing, try different things, do technique exercises, learn techniques you haven't done before, make a song, improvise over backing tracks.. etc etc
I have the same feeling sometimes.. but it doesn't really stop me from playing and I get lots of selfconfidence when I get over it.

When you're in a rut, this will most likely frustrate younger guitar players. Doing exercises requires a lot of patients and a will to learn you know? If you've lost your groove for the instrument, doing rudimentary exercises will probably put one off more in this case.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well what else can i do.. I think the main reason i'm in the dumps, is because i cant learn the songs i want to.. They are too hard for me.. And i really want to do what my favorite musicians are doing! I listen to alot of metal.. From Necrophagist.. To killswitch engage..
Well then practice those songs with a metronome and a LOT slower. I'm sorry but speed isn't something that can be rushed. You have to build up to it. It'll seem boring at first, but if you stick to practicing that way, while slowly building up the speed, you'll notice a big difference in your playing.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Man, the people from these bands were playing before you were born. So, don't get discouraged now. All of us guitarists must feel like you are at some point, but you have to think "The guy from Necrophagist didn't give up, why should I?"
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
When you're in a rut, this will most likely frustrate younger guitar players. Doing exercises requires a lot of patients and a will to learn you know? If you've lost your groove for the instrument, doing rudimentary exercises will probably put one off more in this case.

patience......hospitals require patients

take a few days off listen to some new music, find your inspiration again, i was once so bored i learnt poker face by lady gaga........soon got back into my normal routine..it happens to everyone periodically
3 years into playing i was going to give it up forever because i felt i just wasnt good enough..... you will hit plateaus, and than bam, its like after just enough time noodling and messing around and youll realize you become much better at putting shit together/playing smoothly and than you will greatly improve for a few weeks, and than hit another wall....... you gotta just bust through them walls man, dont ever give up guitar if you love to play it
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Trust me mate weve all been there.Ive been playing for over a decade and hit one of those moments earlier this year after an arm injury.After several months of not playing guitar for reasons of recovery when i finally picked up guitar again i was so disheartened with not being able to play like before, i was ready to take all my equipment down to the nearest pawn shop and quit once and for all.But it was at that moment fate decided to intervene.Out of shear frustration i dumped the low E string down with the tuning peg before chucking the guitar down.After calming down a bit i picked the guitar back up and tried to tune it without a tuner and found that id tuned it too high (F sharp i think)i sat there for about five minutes just retuning it weirdly and came across a bizarre tuning that ive never found anywhere else (wont reveal it yet though,its my secret weapon lol).That tuning reinvigorated my interest in the guitar and i have since wrote an entire album of material using it.Keep the faith brother we all have those moments.Just ride the storm through the other side and you will feel better about your playing than ever before
Figure out why you can’t play the music and fix the deficiency. I stopped playing for years because I couldn’t play what I wanted to. It took me a long time to realize that it was because my expensive professional music teacher was leaving out all kinds of technique and theory information so I completely misunderstood a lot of stuff. Now I’m just filling in the gaps and rebuilding my hands by watching Metal Method and it is SO much fun.
you're doing yourself a diservice by saying "i'm not a s good as ------. so i'm gonna quit.". taking time off is a good suggestion. the other thing is (and its a tough one) perhaps you'll never be able to play like the guys you want. no shame in that. i've been playing for 30 years and even if i practice for another 30 i'll never be yngwie or steve vai. about a year ago i sat back and assessed were i was musically and tried to write songs. despite wanting to do the shred thing thats not what came out. then it hit me, don't worry about being something your not and let the guitar take you where you're meant to go. i'm alot happier writing music that is me than trying desperately to do what i'm not. sure i still practice to improve my skills but i no longer worry about being the next yngwie.
Quote by Joshua_Krunch
Well what else can i do.. I think the main reason i'm in the dumps, is because i cant learn the songs i want to.. They are too hard for me.. And i really want to do what my favorite musicians are doing! I listen to alot of metal.. From Necrophagist.. To killswitch engage..

Dude, the only way to get that good is to NOT give up.
Muhammed Suicmez has been playing for nineteen years, and he practices every day. That's why he's good, because he's been playing since before you were born.

You have to realize these guys take their guitar playing VERY, VERY seriously. It isn't a hobby to them, it's the way they make a living.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.