So I got a fretless bass from Rondo yesterday for Christmas and I hate the glossy finish they have on the fingerboard, so I want to sand it off. How do I do this? Is it as simple as sitting down for a while with a peice of sandpaper?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Well it's maple but the finish actually interferes with my playing. It's not a typical finish used on fingerboards, it's like the finish usually used on bodies. Polyutrethane, I think.

And what would the problems be if I did sand it off a maple fingerboard?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by David Collins
You'd be pushing very hard vibrating strings against a very soft piece of wood. It will wear quickly, dampen the strings to some degree, and of course get filthy dirty in no time. Finish on a fingerboard typically isn't going to be any different from body finishes anyway, though of course a proper rosewood or ebony board should not be finished at all.

How exactly does it interfere with your playing? If it's just a matter of a sticky feel against your fingers, you're going to get that with other fingerboard finishes as well. Maple fretless boards are a bad idea in so many ways to begin with in my opinion. If you just want remove some of the gloss to make a more satin finish though, you can just scuff it with some 0000 steel wool. This will have to be repeated periodically, as gloss will return as it's rubbed with use, but is a reasonable option anyway.
That's what I understand, too. I thought they were mostly Ebony, and others, Rosewood, and with Epoxy hardeners.