I saw an article here on how to mute your guitar when playing.

Muting the high strings was easy, use your fretting hand to mute strings higher. Piece of cake.

However, muting the lower strings is difficult. The article basically said you rolled the palm as you move downward(upward?). As you moved from low E to high E. However, I seen other people that use the side of their thumb.

Which is the proper or easier way to do it?
There isn't really a proper way to mute strings, just do what feels more comfortable for you.

Personally, i'd use the palm to mute the lower strings.
Quote by iamsomebody
I saw an article here on how to mute your guitar when playing.

Muting the high strings was easy, use your fretting hand to mute strings higher. Piece of cake.

However, muting the lower strings is difficult. The article basically said you rolled the palm as you move downward(upward?). As you moved from low E to high E. However, I seen other people that use the side of their thumb.

Which is the proper or easier way to do it?

I found using my thumb harder at first, but once I got used to it it seemed to give me more control, might be just me but that's how I think about the matter^^
Use your fingertips on your fretting hand. I mute without my right a lot of times, it does take practice to do this right, a lot of guitarist put a hairband around the 1st fret to stop the ringing, if it works for them...

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
If I legato on 1 string I mute the two strings beside it with my R hand middle and first/thumb (while still holding the pick) It's easy when you get used to it and works really well for me.