K, heres my situation...

For a few years now i have had my guitar; a nice simple beginners one - Squier Strat by Fender.
All I've done really is learn how to play songs already written, and I've learned different styles of songs. So i am reasonable in the techniques field.

However I feel something big is holding me back as a musician, I dont understand the theory.

Ive been studying it for months but i can't grasp it.

I have always wanted to be able to improvise some awesome acoustic solo, or maybe a chord prog, but i dont understand the theory.

Any help or directions would be appreciated, but dont tell me to buy a book. Done that.
Is
My
Signature Or
What?
Well this website has a good thread for theory. Scales are basically how you would improvise an acoustic solo, and are the basics of how to make a good chord progression. The crusade is a series of articles on this site that I would recommend you read(and take notes). Good luck.
thanks bud, ive had a quick look with searchbar, and im not having much luck.
Links please?
Is
My
Signature Or
What?
You're being pretty vague as to what you do and don't know. You must know something, right? Any basic theory suggestions you may get would be pretty much the same as reading a book. So if you already did that and it didn't work, we're pretty much left with a blank slate here. Something seems to be holding you back from understanding.

Anyway, check this site out if you want something practical and specific to jamming and improvising. It includes backing tracks to jam along with, which is pretty hands-on. Fretjam.com

Try to elaborate on where your understanding ends. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for a possible bombardment of theory from a dozen different people here which could confuse you and discourage you even more.

Good luck
Quote by STE 969
K, heres my situation...

For a few years now i have had my guitar; a nice simple beginners one - Squier Strat by Fender.
All I've done really is learn how to play songs already written, and I've learned different styles of songs. So i am reasonable in the techniques field.

However I feel something big is holding me back as a musician, I dont understand the theory.

I have always wanted to be able to improvise some awesome acoustic solo, or maybe a chord prog, but i dont understand the theory.

Any help or directions would be appreciated, but dont tell me to buy a book. Done that.

What book did you buy?
JudgeDrey, you are right indeed.
Im not sure what it is that is holding me back.
What im suspecting it is, is that I have been bombarded with lots and lots of information by these books and inm having trouble putting it all together. Also, it is quite frustrating trying to learn it all in a short amount of time. You see, I am like that. I want to learn fast.

Thank all of you for the help and resources.
Is
My
Signature Or
What?
Sean0913, i have many many many MANY books.
Is
My
Signature Or
What?
Quote by STE 969
K, heres my situation...

i would recommend you study for a theory exam , for summer or winter 2010
i found a website of a tutor who could help you in liverpool http://www.potentmusic.co.uk/tuition.htm
Good advices, dut I have something unusual to say

I've never studied a theory from books or teachers. Actually, I was never learning "music". It all came to me with time and experience. I just played to satisfy myself. Now I can record almost everything I need.
I'm not saying you don't need theory. I'm just saying, you do not need to think about it as it is you mission. "Learn theory OR you won't be able to make music and improvise!!!!" Just TRY! Improvise and record. Listen to your favorite bands and play along with them ) Add some guitars!

BTW best way to learn how to improvise is to play with someone. Better with the band, of course. And much better with people who already has some experience.