I need a bass amp for around $150-200. Something for band practices in a small basement, and something that I can mic up to a PA.

I'll be playing through a Ibanez GSR200, and in a band with 2 guitarists running at about 70w and a moderate drummer playing alternative/metal.

Is there anyway I can pick something up at this price?
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
At that price point, used is going to be your best bet. Just avoid lower end Ampegs, GKs and the dreaded Behringer.

Comb your local craigs list for deals. I've seen rather nice Kustoms and Ashdown combos go for your price point.
Definitely look for something used I'd say.
I got an Ashdown Electric BLue 150 for what would be equivalent to around 135 USD. It sounds pretty good and holds up just fine with 2 guitarists and a drummer.
^but probably not as loud as the rating on the specs.

Some folks have had luck with Behringer, but many have not. Besides the overrating on the specifications, they have a rather high failure rate and in some cases, have been known to smoke and fry. Trying to deal with their warranty and repair department is a nightmare of Kafka-esque proportions. Just something to consider.
Thanks for all the replies.

I just got back from Guitar Center and picked up an Acoustic B100 for about $230. So far, so good.

EDIT: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=482902V

That can't be right, can it? That's $30 cheaper, the same brand, and 100w more!

Free shipping too. Can anyone prove that this deal is legit?
Quote by imdeth

Last edited by RG5EX1 at Dec 26, 2009,
it's just a sale, I'd go for it, you'll be hard pressed to beat price
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Quote by BamaBlues
it's just a sale, I'd go for it, you'll be hard pressed to beat price

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

I guess I'll go ahead and order it, then once it arrives, take this amp back to GC. I got 30 days.
Quote by imdeth

Quote by anarkee
Trying to deal with their warranty and repair department is a nightmare of Kafka-esque proportions. Just something to consider.

That comment really makes me want to write a parody of The Castle in which the protagonist is stuck on a customer service line for three weeks.

TS you can find some nice sized peavey combos used for that budget, if you're really lucky you might find an old carvin head and 1*15 cab for around that.

If nothing like that comes up used, I'll jump on the band wagon and suggest a new acoustic amp. Wait for a some nice 15 or 20 % deals to pop up online or at GC and grab one up.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
That comment really makes me want to write a parody of The Castle in which the protagonist is stuck on a customer service line for three weeks.

TS you can find some nice sized peavey combos used for that budget, if you're really lucky you might find an old carvin head and 1*15 cab for around that.

If nothing like that comes up used, I'll jump on the band wagon and suggest a new acoustic amp. Wait for a some nice 15 or 20 % deals to pop up online or at GC and grab one up.

Thanks man. I just ordered the 200w Acoustic that was linked to earlier in the thread.

I should get it by Friday, and I'll just return the 100w I bought today.

EDIT: And just incase anyone is wondering, the B200 for $200 is a refurb, but I called and it comes with the factory 3 year warranty, so no worries.
Quote by imdeth

Last edited by RG5EX1 at Dec 26, 2009,