when i screw in the ToM bridge mounting posts into the inserts its rather wobbly. they don't seem to connect very well. there's a lot of play. which i would assume leads to a loss of sustain, resonance and tone.
are there higher quality, tighter fitting ToM posts and inserts i could get?
They build em with not so tight tolerances so things fit together easier. You can put a wrap or 2 of teflon tape on the threads which will tighten things up.

I did the tone pros mod on my TOMs drilling and tapping small holes so a set screw can be tightened against the posts.
Quote by Tackleberry
They build em with not so tight tolerances so things fit together easier. You can put a wrap or 2 of teflon tape on the threads which will tighten things up.

I did the tone pros mod on my TOMs drilling and tapping small holes so a set screw can be tightened against the posts.

that TP-mod sounds like a very economical alternative
did you notice any diference?
tone?
resonance?
sustain?

how did you machine the threads for the screws? and how did you actually DRILL the holes in the first place? do you need a special drill bit to go thru metal?
Last edited by sethp at Dec 26, 2009,
Most TOM housings are made of aluminum so dont need a special drill bit, regular high speed steel works.

Drilling the holes would be a tricky thing to do with a hand drill and trying to hold it with a pair of pliers. I have a drill press w vise.

So you need a tap and the proper size drill bit. The card a tap comes on will give you the size bit you need. And the little allen head set screws, they are just look like a screw shaft w no head. Making sure you match the thread pitch for tap and screws.

As for a difference. There is some difference as you are more solidly clamping things together. Its hard to do a before/after thing taking things apart doing the work etc. Another benefit the bridge/tailpiece wont fall off or studs move when you change strings. And its really cheap compared to tonepro, 5$ in screws bits tap(which will do TOM and stopbar) vs 60$ for tonepro(just the bridge).

Tonepro also offers a locking stud. Havent messed w this yet as its a bit harder to drill a straight and center hole the length of the stud.
Quote by Tackleberry
... So you need a tap and the proper size drill bit. The card a tap comes on will give you the size bit you need. And the little allen head set screws, they are just look like a screw shaft w no head. Making sure you match the thread pitch for tap and screws.

what are a "tap", and "thread pitch"

Quote by Tackleberry
... Tonepro also offers a locking stud. Havent messed w this yet as its a bit harder to drill a straight and center hole the length of the stud.

is this a locking stud for the bridge, or for the stop-tailpiece? cuz it seems to me that all one would need is a nut to screw down ontop of the bridge posts, in order to lock it down
A tap is a tool they sell that cuts threads in metal. If you try to use a screw to cut them usually you just break the screw off in the hole. You have to match the tap and screws thread pitch, there will a number like 32 which is threads per inch. Use mismatched tap and screw and you just tear up the newly cut threads.

A locking stud has an internal screw which when tightened pushes against the sleeve in the body keeping it from turning or moving.