i'm new to electric guitar, having only played acoustic for a short short while (simple chord progressions, easy songs like "wonderwall" etc.) and have encountered some problems

my guitar sounds horrible, and assuming i've tuned it correctly (standard tuning), i don't know what the problem is. i have two audio clips: one of me strumming every string together, then each one separately

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/vqvr
http://www.tindeck.com/listen/ykxz

if i AM tuned correctly, what could be the problem? maybe i'm simply not? i dunno, but i feel like something is definitely WAY off. i'm not using any effects or anything

any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance. i also apologize if the answer is obvious
Last edited by happywanderer at Dec 26, 2009,
You're not tuned correctly.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by 5kuzgib
You're not tuned correctly.

what could i be doing wrong? i'm not doing it by ear, i'm doing it with an electronic tuner and everything SEEMS to match up. though i notice that even after i tune, let's say, the low e string, after i've wrapped up tuning everything else, i'll go back and it'll seem out of tune again
Quote by happywanderer
what could i be doing wrong? i'm not doing it by ear, i'm doing it with an electronic tuner and everything SEEMS to match up. though i notice that even after i tune, let's say, the low e string, after i've wrapped up tuning everything else, i'll go back and it'll seem out of tune again

Do you use a relatively cheap starter's guitar? Those tend to go out of tune rather quickly.
didn't just change my strings, but it is a cheap starter guitar (fender)

maybe i just don't know how to work the electronic tuner?? somehow i doubt this given its straightforward nature...
use an online tuner to get the bottom E in tune, then the tune one string off of another ( A should be 5th fret on E, D should be fifth fret on A, G should be 5th fret on D, B should be 4th fret on G, E should be 5th fret on B )
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Your high E and your B are in tune (thinnest 2 strings) - the rest are all out.

Remember, it's E-A-D-G-B-e, from thickest string to thinnest.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
alright i tuned it up nicely and it's sounding pretty good i think, but the low e string won't stay in tune...in fact, to even get it to sound like it's supposed to, the string is loose to the point where it feels like it's going to fall off (and buzzes like crazy)

should i replace it?
Have you stretched the strings? You'll never get tuning stability if you haven't stretched them - use the search bar, it's been covered lots.
Quote by happywanderer
i'm new to electric guitar, having only played acoustic for a short short while (simple chord progressions, easy songs like "wonderwall" etc.) and have encountered some problems

<--- clickey

OT, starter guitars go out of tune really fast. I'm really not sure what will help other than a better tuner. You might want to adjust the intonation too. Theses starter guitars are almost never set up properly.
could you post the tuning?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Still out of tune... You're getting there but your G string is horribly out of tune
Last edited by FCurimao at Dec 26, 2009,
Check your tuner is set to 440hz frequency if it has such an option.

I remember this was something that caused me problems when for some reason the tuner I bought was set at 420 to begin with.
nice, that solves the problem with my electronic tuner, it wasnt in standard tuning (my fault for assuming it'd come out of the box in standard...) i got everything tuned well now, it sounds leagues better. thanks guys
In the future, try using the 12th fret harmonic. No one believes me about that working until they come to my house and i force them to try it.