Page 1 of 2
You ever see an ad for a movie and say to yourself, "Wow, that's gonna suck so much."???

I know I do. A lot.

I think Sherlock Holmes will flop. It just doesn't look that good and the theme isn't that appealing to many people any more.

Anyone else predict the success of movies based on the advertisements?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Sherlock Holmes is going to be awesome.

Goodnight.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
Sherlock Holmes is going to be awesome.

Goodnight.

This.

Not even demon grannies can save that heap.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by dudetheman
You ever see an ad for a movie and say to yourself, "Wow, that's gonna suck so much."???

I'm confused, is the question we see films we know will flop or films we know will suck?

Pretty much every film I see that looks really good I know will flop because it's one of the few that isn't produced with the good ol' lowest common denominator, mall focus group creative strategy.

I see a lot of ads that make me think "Wow, that's gonna suck so much," but with that comes the thought "it will probably gross hundreds of millions of dollars."

There are maybe two or three exceptions each year, but even those films don't do very well, they just break even or make a modest profit.
Quote by sashki
That new Karate Kid movie

This also.

And yeah, Avatar didn't look/sound that great until the HD preview showed up on Youtube.

Most everyone is seeing it solely for the effects though; I've heard the plot kinda rips off Pocahontas.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
GI Joe... Oh dear God...

Also, Sherlock Holmes looks good. I would go see it, but our car is lying upside-down wedged between and tree and a ditch, so that may be problematic.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by whitenihilist
The Last Airbender.

I loved the cartoon, but with M. Night. Shaymamamlamalon at the helm, I am sure it will suck. =/

This. Dear God, this...
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
There is a difference between bad movies and flops. Flops are the ones that don't make much money.

How could anyone think that Avatar was gonna flop? James Cameron always makes a shitload of cash. So does Michael Bay (his movies suck)
Pfft, Sherlock Holmes kicked SO much ass. Was an awesome watch
Quote by Spartan101400
The rest of that god-forsaken Twitlight series.

That couldn't be more wrong.
Quote by Spartan101400
The rest of that god-forsaken Twitlight series.

Suck? Yes. Flop? No.

Here's one that'll do both: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaWFeGxuXgM&feature=PlayList&p=A4FD66B66B2FA812&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=140
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
cant remember the name of the film but i saw an advertisement for one at a bus stop starring hugh grant and sarah jessica-parker... that will be nothing but horrendous unless they are both graphically tortured and killed
Quote by TheBadPlace

That cannot really become a movie. Seriously...?
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
That is the most unfunny trailer I have seen of anything... ever.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
That live action Dragon Ball movie that came out last spring.... one look at the teaser and I knew it was destined to be a horrible bastardization of my favorite cartoon as a kid.
Quote by MaritMatrix
New f*cking Moon.
I'm so sick of all the little girls go all orgasm over that f*cking Edward.

The weirdest thing I've heard about 'Edward':
Me: Robert Patinson (sp? meh) isn't hot
Friend: Nah, he's not.
Me: I thought you said Edward was hot?
Friend: He is
Me: They're the same person
Friend: But Edward's a vampire and mysterious
Me:
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
The movie of your life will suck
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
Quote by el-ECTRO
The weirdest thing I've heard about 'Edward':
Me: Robert Patinson (sp? meh) isn't hot
Friend: Nah, he's not.
Me: I thought you said Edward was hot?
Friend: He is
Me: They're the same person
Friend: But Edward's a vampire and mysterious
Me:

Hahahah. Right.
I bet he dies and all the teen-blondes (excluding me there.. Thank you.) will go suicidal.
That would be something to make a movie about.
After seeing paranormal activity I thought that would have but...

It was awful. Not even scary me and my friends laughed the entire time
P.S. this is what the alphabet would look like without the letters Q and R
The Lord Of The Rings: A Couple Of Towers.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by im not mental
also that tooth fairy movie with the rock is gonna flop BIG TIME.

Oh God, forgot that one.
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
I really liked Sherlock Holmes......

I think Prince of Persia (sands of time?) and Clash Of the Titans will flop...
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I'm almost positive that The Crazies will fail miserably in the box office sales, but I think it looks like a pretty kick ass movie. Also, I'm afraid the new Nightmare on Elm Street will probably bomb strictly because Michael Bay is the Ex. Producer. In all actuality, he probably had nothing to do with the movie and just put his name on it to make it sell

Quote by dudetheman

I think Sherlock Holmes will flop. It just doesn't look that good and the theme isn't that appealing to many people any more.

Anyone else predict the success of movies based on the advertisements?

Actually, I'm pretty sure the definition of "flop" (according to dictionary.com) means "to fall or plump down suddenly." So, no, Sherlock Holmes did not flop. It was a pretty badass movie.
Page 1 of 2