Hey everybody,

The Acrolith is back! After two years, we're writing new music again.

www.soundcloud.com/the-acrolith

We're lacking vocals atm, but this demo could interest fans of Meshuggah, Car Bomb and Blotted Science.

Feedback is encouraged!

- Adam
Last edited by Dante53 at Sep 1, 2012,
I thought that was really cool, actually. Something different. I was surprised when it ended though, and almost disappointed that it had.
The playground of the world
The sample sounds really intriguing - be shure post the whole song when it's finnished. I'll always appreciate good Djent! ; - )
Gear:
Parker Nitefly-M
Carvin DC 727 Custom w/ Bare Knuckle Pickups
ENGL E625 Fireball 60
BM 2x12" Celestion Vintage30 Custom cab
Line6 POD x3 Live
Behringer V-Tone GMX210, lol.

www.serpentia.pl
www.soundcloud.com/harpo777
Here we go! Two new tracks posted! One with vocals too, although the mix is questionable.

Thanks for the overwhelmingly positive feedback guys!

- Adam
Quote by The_flower_king
The sample sounds really intriguing - be shure post the whole song when it's finnished. I'll always appreciate good Djent! ; - )

Also, thanks for the add! I just listened to "Bound in Blood Pt. 2" and it sounds amazing, the beginning especially. I really like the sound you guys have.

Cheers!

- Adam
A new track is up now, "Emergence", but the best mix seems to be on "April's Fire".

Thanks for listening.

- Adam
I really like the feeling of Emergence - the a bit 'modern jazz' intro is really great, fresh sounding. Kinda reminds me of Animals as Leaders; Abasi obviously has lots in common with contemporary jazz haha ; - )

The best part IMO is the break in Emergence about 1:47 - the one with clean tremolo guitar. Reminds me very much of a band called Irepress, google their myspace if you don't know them; the new album is really worth buying lol.

Anyway I love the idea of mixing Djent with some clean (jazz-or-not) parts - there are so many bands trying to sound like Meshuggah these days that hearing your musical direction really sets me in an optimistic mood!

What is your tuning? low F#? I tried to convince my bass player (not in Primordial/Unlike the Waves but in another band) to restring and tune to F# (since I'm playing 8 strings) but he wont... lol I'm hardly ever using the lowest string with this band.

You're using DKFH for the drums, am I right? The mix sounds really clean and neat, how do you set DKFH up in your DAW?

One word of advice though - these recordings are really low on volume. For mastering I use T-Racks, you can get a free demo on their site. The factory-made presets are really good, I'm not a tweaker myself so I'm really satisfied with the effect.

Cheers man!
Gear:
Parker Nitefly-M
ENGL E625 Fireball 60
Line6 POD x3 Live

www.serpentia.pl
Quote by The_flower_king
I really like the feeling of Emergence - the a bit 'modern jazz' intro is really great, fresh sounding. Kinda reminds me of Animals as Leaders; Abasi obviously has lots in common with contemporary jazz haha ; - )

The best part IMO is the break in Emergence about 1:47 - the one with clean tremolo guitar. Reminds me very much of a band called Irepress, google their myspace if you don't know them; the new album is really worth buying lol.

Anyway I love the idea of mixing Djent with some clean (jazz-or-not) parts - there are so many bands trying to sound like Meshuggah these days that hearing your musical direction really sets me in an optimistic mood!

What is your tuning? low F#? I tried to convince my bass player (not in Primordial/Unlike the Waves but in another band) to restring and tune to F# (since I'm playing 8 strings) but he wont... lol I'm hardly ever using the lowest string with this band.

You're using DKFH for the drums, am I right? The mix sounds really clean and neat, how do you set DKFH up in your DAW?

One word of advice though - these recordings are really low on volume. For mastering I use T-Racks, you can get a free demo on their site. The factory-made presets are really good, I'm not a tweaker myself so I'm really satisfied with the effect.

Cheers man!

That was a very comprehensive reply!

Ok, first thing's first, thank you so much for writing all of that, it's very encouraging. Secondly, I'm playing the Ibanez RG2228 8 string, tuned DADADGBE low to high. I've been experimenting with different tunings a lot recently, this one just stuck. Next; if your bassist is planning on tuning to Fsharp, I would suggest that he tune a standard EADG bass up a whole tone, to FsharpBEA, your first four strings in Fsharp standard (on an eight string), as the Fsharp an octave below yours sounds really mucky (my old band did that...) Next! That is DKFH indeed, you have a keen ear. I'm using Logic 9, basically, I st up three midi instrument tracks, sequence the drums in Guitar Pro, export that midi and load it into Logic. Then I manually split the track into snare, kick and cymbals & toms, then individually EQ and amplify those three components. Yeah, Emergence is the EP opener, so we decided to try and foreshadow the ideas we had for the whole EP through it, so in it's short time it sort of displays a lot of what we're feeling.

Finally, the recordings are very quiet. I bounced them all from Logic, but they are just so quiet for some reason. I've read that apparently I have to export them as .WAV, then convert that so I don't lose as much quality. I'm not sure why it's doing that, but .mp3 is apparently a bad format for high quality music anyway.

So, thanks a lot for the massive amount of feedback!

- Adam
holy frijoles that is siiiiickkkkk
AWESOME songs!
reveal wings is just EPIC!
my fave of the bunch, tho the others are just as epic too :P
keep up the good work, dying to hear more
Wow, good feedback feels strange.

Thank you guys so much, we just remixed Reveal Wings, it's a lot louder and clearer now, so we'll post that on the myspace soon. Stay tuned!

Thanks again.

- Adam
Quote by Dante53
I'm playing the Ibanez RG2228 8 string, tuned DADADGBE low to high.

Wow, thats quite an unusual tuning - the bass player just tunes down to dropped D (with low A in case its a 6 string)? I'll try dropped E for the next couple of rehersals - I dont want the bassist to get pissed, lol.

Quote by Dante53

That is DKFH indeed, you have a keen ear.

The snare drum is very charateristical, some people say it's got way too much compression but I like it.

Quote by Dante53

I'm using Logic 9, basically, I st up three midi instrument tracks, sequence the drums in Guitar Pro, export that midi and load it into Logic. Then I manually split the track into snare, kick and cymbals & toms, then individually EQ and amplify those three components.

That sounds like some work to do - I don't know Logic since I am a PC user, but in Cubase you can have DKFH automatically split the drumkit parts on independend channels. Just enable it in the 'vst instruments' section and turn it on in the DKFH mixer. I've noticed that when you split it that way you get an effect of different drum microphones catching different parts of the drumkit ex. mics from the toms catch the snare, the cymbals catch some toms and everything has the base drum recorded on it. I don't mind it since it's actually a natural effect but I don't know if it's a positive factor for the overall mix. Doing it your way prevents that effect making the mix a bit more stable and clear from what I've heard. You can at least EQ the cymbals without boosting the bass drum, lol ; - )

Anyway, Reveal Wings sounds great, man!

Cheers!
Gear:
Parker Nitefly-M
ENGL E625 Fireball 60
Line6 POD x3 Live

www.serpentia.pl
Hi again!

I'm posting to inform you of a new track on our myspace. It's a remix of the old "Reveal Wings" from our EP "April's Fire". I hope you like it!

- Adam
I enjoyed the music actualy. Though I'm no fan of death\black metal. Best for me is Emergence. There is some progressive metal which I love!

Only thing... I didn't enjoy vocals. Maybe it's my taste, but it's bad. It's ruining the music!
Last edited by vict at Jan 10, 2010,