Hi everyone
I recently purchased a new amp, the Marshall MA50C. This Amp is powered by 3 ECC83 Preamps and 2 EL34 Power Amps, and contains 1 x 12" Eminence AX-75 Speaker.
I brought this amp after trying similar Marshall Valve amps, reading reviews, and watching the Performance demo here (at the page, go to Theatre > Product Performance). However, upon playing it with my Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded model, it sounds great on Cleans but when I turn on the Overdrive, playing rhythm sounds very broken up, without any real body, and leads sound incredibly thin and get hardly any sustain or smoothness. It almost sounds like I am playing leads through a low-power beginner amp.
My Guitar has Burstbucker Pro pickups in both positions, although these pickups are behaving oddly; they tend to randomly enter a state of extremely low or no output, and sound fairly dusty and worn out, although they are only a year old.
So, if anyone can advise me on how to get tones from this amp like the one in the demo video, or could tell me what my problem might be, I would be very appreciative. After reading reviews, and watching the Demo videos, I find it impossible to believe that this is how my amp is meant to sound. Since the cleans are good, could there be a problem with the Power Valves?
Thank you.

EDIT: In comparison, my old amp, which was a Line 6 Spider III 30-Watt was getting superior lead tones. That, in my opinion, is pretty worrying.
Last edited by alexec947 at Dec 26, 2009,
well after playing with several Marshall amps today I did notice that The MA has to be EQ'd properly. You will just have to spend some time trying to get a good tone or you can look on the internet for something that can help.
Check the power tubes. and also make sure it's not your pup's like you said
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by McBaino
well after playing with several Marshall amps today I did notice that The MA has to be EQ'd properly. You will just have to spend some time trying to get a good tone or you can look on the internet for something that can help.

Thanks. I will play with it a bit more, but I'm still pretty sure there is a problem since no matter what I try, everything is still pretty weak and broken up.

Quote by Bostonrocks
Check the power tubes. and also make sure it's not your pup's like you said

Thanks, but when checking them, what exactly am I looking for? How will I know if the problem is with the pups or valves?
Buy a set of power tubes and change them. If that doesn't fix it, it would be your pickups... make sure the connections (solder joints) are intact, in that case.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Buy a set of power tubes and change them. If that doesn't fix it, it would be your pickups... make sure the connections (solder joints) are intact, in that case.

If it isn't them, I suppose it's good to have spares anyway. How much are two power tubes? And, if I do buy them, should I use more EL34s?
try a different cable. if there is a short in your cable it will mess with your output
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
It sounds like a selector switch problem to me. Same thing happened to me not long ago. Check your selector switch and tighten it up, and make sure it's connected right. If it is, then it might be your power tubes.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Sounds like you don't like its sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G78jAQfA5bo

Here's a pretty good demo of the amp.
In the video it sounds like you described.

I'd get a good OD pedal and EQ for the amp in your place or just return the amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
power tubes
pickup problems
bad cable

Those are the only things problem wise that I can think of that you might be dealing. If it's a matter of just tone, I have no experience eqing it so I can't help...
@ JesusCrisp
Hmm... While that does not sound at all like marshall's videos (Perhaps they were using a distortion pedal?), it still sounds a lot thicker than mine. Towards the end of the video, where the guy switched to his Neck Pup (I think), he managed to get some quite thick, solid tones out of it. When I go for my neck pup, it still sounds really thin without any body or sustain. It just really isn't delivering the power and body that I would expect from an all-valve amp and two Burstbuckers in a Les Paul...

@ sg4evr
I will test all of them... It's odd that this problem was never there with my previous amp, which was a crappy Line 6 Spider III... I don't think it is the pups or the Lead, which is a Fender 15ft. I will see what I can find out about the Power Valves.

Has anyone heard this amp outside of videos and thought the same thing?
Last edited by alexec947 at Dec 26, 2009,
The tone in the video probably also sounds thicker because the guy plays at really high volumes and has a stack setup and not a combo.

Without buying any new stuff you could try adding Resonance, Bass, Mids and lowering treble and presence on your amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
The tone in the video probably also sounds thicker because the guy plays at really high volumes and has a stack setup and not a combo.

Without buying any new stuff you could try adding Resonance, Bass, Mids and lowering treble and presence on your amp.

Hmm... I will try this. Tomorrow. It's almost 12 in England and I don't really want to be firing it up now :P
Maybe I won't have to do it, but briefly, how would I go about changing the Power Tubes, and how much do they cost?

EDIT: I tried playing with the EQ more and it still sounds horribly scratchy. When using my amp, only two valves appear to be glowing, and I can only see 4 valves inside the amp when there should be 5. Unfortunately, I cannot take off the back cover for a closer look. What should I do?
Last edited by alexec947 at Dec 27, 2009,