Page 1 of 2
Fireflies - Owl City

I'm just wondering, has this song become popular where you live? Where I live it has become annoying popular.

Also, what do you think of it?

For me personally, I don't think it deserves to have become as popular as it has, but that being said, I still kind of like it; I especially like the chorus.
There was a point where I liked it before it got shoved down my ears.
I heard it on the radio for the first time and was like "WTF? It's mainstream?"
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Last edited by soXlittleXtimeX at Dec 26, 2009,
I hate it. Owl City just wants to be MGMT/The Postal Service.

That one lyric that reads "I'd like to be hugged, from 10,000 lightning bugs". is truely dreadful.

However, I am impressed that the recording for the band was completely DIY, they did a great job.
Here its Hello Seattle, probably has something to do with living just outside of seattle
Best guide on writing power metal lyrics
Quote by ReaperWaits
keep it fast, keep it epic, and for god sake mention dragons.
watch it fly away in a week or two just like the rest of mainstream

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Everyone loves it where I live. What I hate about it is how it obviously has terrible auto-tune
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
It has become really popular here. The songs makes me want to throw chairs against windows, I swear.
The song is overplayed, overliked and should go die. Nobody likes Owls.

GO SAVE A FREAKIN WHALE!
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by TheReverend724
^ that too

It's catchy and fun, but Owl City doesn't have shit on The Postal Service

I know I will get shit for this, but I don't think they should be compared. The Postal Service isn't very good to begin with.

They're just really bland to me. Both bands.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
First time I've heard it (in the UK) and I turned it off when the vocals started.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
There was a point where I liked it.
Then I heard it on the radio for the first time and was like "WTF? It's mainstream?"

So you don't like it anymore because it's popular? That's open-mindedness for you...

Here it loads on the radio. It's not a terrible song, but I always get the feeling it was aimed at 5-year-olds because of the weird production.
Quote by JacobTheMe

That one lyric that reads "I'd like to be hugged, from 10,000 lightning bugs". is truely dreadful.
Agreed; lines like that are why I can't take it seriously. Still, like I said in the OP, for some reason, the chorus just has me hooked for some reason, especially "I'd like to make myself believe; that planet Earth, turns, slowly".
I like it. It's not my favorite song, but the other albums are worth a listen. imo at least.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
First time I heard it. Shouldn't have opened the link
It's one of those songs that I would really like if it wasn't so popular. Which stinks.
The.
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I like it. It's not my favorite song, but the other albums are worth a listen. imo at least.
What are some songs you'd recommend from them?
The guy that did it is from here so idk everyone likes it, but it's not my thing.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Never heard it. But I don't listen to the radio or common opinion, so I have no idea if other people around here like it
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
I think it's just terrible. It's catchy as fuck, yeah, and sounds vaguely like something I could potentially like... But after hearing it a couple of times I realized it was just a produced version of the indie trend made into a marketable song that is based off of gabage. I mean, really, I GET 1000 HUGS FROM 10 MILLION LIGHTNING BUGS?! Kill me now.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
I think it's just terrible. It's catchy as fuck, yeah, and sounds vaguely like something I could potentially like... But after hearing it a couple of times I realized it was just a produced version of the indie trend made into a marketable song that is based off of gabage. I mean, really, I GET 1000 HUGS FROM 10 MILLION LIGHTNING BUGS?! Kill me now.

There's way worse lyrics than that out there. Also, he had been doing this kind of music while he was unsigned. He's more lucky than a label's product.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Yeah, it's popular where I am.

And all I have to say is that I hate that man's voice with every fiber of my being.

His vocals have no balls, no feeling, his vocals are, for lack of better term, the generic "gay lisp" of music.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Dec 26, 2009,
The vocals killed it for me, though I do appreciate that they recorded it all by themselves, that's pretty cool.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by TheReverend724
^ that too

It's catchy and fun, but Owl City doesn't have shit on The Postal Service

Agreed, I was gonna mention the postal service to.

Owl City is just a copycat of playradioplay, who's a copy cat of the postal service.

Postal Service>all other bands of that genre.
I dunno if it's got more popular around these parts, but my friends around these parts are never into the same music everyone else is. But my gf sent me the song, and I quite enjoyed it, so
They came to my campus early in december and everybody went batshit insane trying to get a ticket... A couple friends of mine helped set up for the show and they said that the Owl City guy was quite the asshole.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
It is popular. BUT I still tell everyone who likes that they're a dumbass. As we all know, bands like Owl City lack musical talent & skill. Plus, it's said the band is a bunch of douchebags.
Quote by herby190
What are some songs you'd recommend from them?

Well, my favorites are Cave In, Hello Seattle, Vanilla Twilight, I'll Meet You There, Sunburn, and Saltwater Room. I can listen to all of his stuff though.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
OH! THAT's who that song is?!
I've heard it a couple of times on the radio at work, I assumed it was new Hellogoodbye.

EDIT: actually I can hear how people think it's The Postal Service. It sounds like a mix of Such Great Heights, Brand New Colony, and Recycled Air.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by JacobTheMe

However, I am impressed that the recording for the band was completely DIY, they did a great job.

It's actually just one guy.

Proud member of the LGBTQQ group.
Quote by JacobTheMe
I hate it. Owl City just wants to be MGMT

This is where I stopped reading.

Owl City sounds almost NOTHING like MGMT, besides the fact that they both use synths.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by crazy8rgood
This is where I stopped reading.

Owl City sounds almost NOTHING like MGMT, besides the fact that they both use synths.

Tbh yeah this.
I'm no expert on Owl City, but I've now listened to a few songs and hear zero resemblance to MGMT.
Quote by Shred Head
I hate it so much.

You're a man, sound like one when you sing!
Brian Molko disagrees.
Meh, its not that bad.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Page 1 of 2