So, hi there!

Pedals!
I'm in the market for some pedals, preferably used, and not too expensive. I've got a Blackheart Handsome Devil, very happy with the sound, but it's very basic, so I'm looking for some more sounds.

I've just bought a GFS Delay, which should be arriving in the mail soon. I am also going to buy a Delta Lab Chorus from my friend.

I was thinking about an OD, but I'm not sure if I really need one, and even more unsure of which one to go for. I'm looking for the heavier tones of Blue Oyster Cult's Cities on flame, and the lighter cleans and slightly overdriven tones of David Gilmour. (A good example would be "Time", clean chords part, and the slightly overdriven solo.)

Maybe some kind of Reverb? But then I though that I could probably use the delay to get nearly a Reverb-y type sound. But I'm still thinking I should probably get one, just not as urgently as said other pedal.

Maybe a Compression/Sustainer?

EQ? Do you guys think that's incredibly necessary?

And other pedals you think I should get? I'm very open to suggestions. I just really want something different to my sound, which the delay and chorus will bring, to some extent.

I don't really have an absolute budget, I've got quite a bit of money right now, about £200+ open to guitar spending, but I'm not going to be spending it all at once, so I'm buying one pedal, then waiting a bit for another. I also might be selling my guitar, so I'll probably get another £100 or so. But I don't really want pedals costing over £80ish. (Remember I'm buying used!)

Pickups!

So, I'm thinking about upgrading my Squier's pickups. I know a lot of you don't like Squiers, but seriously, I LOVE the feel of mine, I prefer it to all of the Fenders I have played. But, I love the sound of the neck coil and the middle coil together, but I don't like my Humbucker sound. It seems to harsh, too treble-y. and gives loads of volume boost, that I don't really want.

So, I'm thinking of maybe buying a new humbucker, for Gilmour type tones, as said above. I know absolutely nothing about pickups, so I'm hoping you nice people will help me! I need something not harsh, but not too mellow. It needs a bit of bite to it, without being over-the-top. It's hard to explain, but basically, this (the solo, 3:15): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntm1YfehK7U
I know I'm not going that exact tone from the gear I have now, but I do wanna try and get as close as possible. That means bags of sustain!

Thank you very much if you have actually bothered to read all of this, your help is much appreciated!

- Gabes.

EDIT: I think I put people off by writing so much.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Dec 26, 2009,
Yes, EQ's are always a good thing. Look at MXR's, I got the 6 band, but a lot of guys will tell you to go for the 10. And as for pickups, you're already on the GFS site, and they stock the best pickups for the price, and have some of the best customer service around, so just shoot them an email, and within a day they'll tell you what pup's are best for the sound you want that they have around. That's what I did, they're really nice guys.

By the way, I want a review on that Delay soon as you get it eh?
-Chris
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
Yes, EQ's are always a good thing. Look at MXR's, I got the 6 band, but a lot of guys will tell you to go for the 10. And as for pickups, you're already on the GFS site, and they stock the best pickups for the price, and have some of the best customer service around, so just shoot them an email, and within a day they'll tell you what pup's are best for the sound you want that they have around. That's what I did, they're really nice guys.

By the way, I want a review on that Delay soon as you get it eh?
-Chris

Will do, In fact, I made a thread on GFS products, and I've got mikeyElite to review the pedals he got, those videos will be on sometime this week, apparently.

Thanks for the advice.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
the whammy pedal is always a great pedal to experiment with, especially in todays generation of electronic music. As for pickups i don't know but if you wanted to change your single coil pickups check out Area 51's they sound beautiful
Quote by Jmoarguitar
the whammy pedal is always a great pedal to experiment with, especially in todays generation of electronic music. As for pickups i don't know but if you wanted to change your single coil pickups check out Area 51's they sound beautiful

I really don't want a whammy pedal... I play mainly Pink Floyd and I'm not interested in modern electronic music, as you put it.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Well I personally love my Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal.
It might look a bit odd in your strat, but I've heard good things about Seymour Duncan Phat Cat http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=67101
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
I really don't want a whammy pedal... I play mainly Pink Floyd and I'm not interested in modern electronic music, as you put it.

Haven't you heard 'Marooned'? Dave's use of the octave up function on the whammy in that song is brilliant.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
Haven't you heard 'Marooned'? Dave's use of the octave up function on the whammy in that song is brilliant.

Actually, that's a very good point, although you don't really get many songs like that, it's not worth forking out the £140 for one.

Guys, some more recommendations please? I took ages making the thread, maybe I shouldn't have written so much.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
if you want a giant killer od get a danelectro transparent od.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Hmm, how much are you looking to spend on an OD? (sorry if this is in the OP but I skim read it )
If it's a fair amount perhaps look into a Jetter pedal, I personally like the Gain stage gold & gain stage purple. Lt. Shineysides just got one as well that he loves but not sure on the model.

If it's not that much how about looking at a Made By Mike Overdrive? Seemed pretty versatile in his videos.

Other pedals, how about a nice fuzz, stomp under foot make some great ones that'll get you a nice Gilmourish tone. The made my mike green muff is also pretty nice and there are some clips on my profile.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

A nice fuzz pedal is tons of fun. I use the Dunlop JH model, which sounds great but isn't very practical (no external adaptor sucks; it's huge!).

Also, check out Zvex. The Fuzz Factory sounds like tons of fun (though I haven't actually used it) and the Box of Rock is AWESOME (I have it and reviewed it, and it's especially good with a strat).
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Quote by SimplyBen
Hmm, how much are you looking to spend on an OD? (sorry if this is in the OP but I skim read it )
If it's a fair amount perhaps look into a Jetter pedal, I personally like the Gain stage gold & gain stage purple. Lt. Shineysides just got one as well that he loves but not sure on the model.

If it's not that much how about looking at a Made By Mike Overdrive? Seemed pretty versatile in his videos.

Other pedals, how about a nice fuzz, stomp under foot make some great ones that'll get you a nice Gilmourish tone. The made my mike green muff is also pretty nice and there are some clips on my profile.

Thanks, for the OD, I'm not looking to spend a load, I mean, I don't wanna spend over £100 on a pedal. Made by Mike OD looks good, I think I might get one of those, I've seen them before, decent enough.

Fuzz seems like a good option, I'll have a look at your clips.

Quote by bullets34
A nice fuzz pedal is tons of fun. I use the Dunlop JH model, which sounds great but isn't very practical (no external adaptor sucks; it's huge!).

Also, check out Zvex. The Fuzz Factory sounds like tons of fun (though I haven't actually used it) and the Box of Rock is AWESOME (I have it and reviewed it, and it's especially good with a strat).

Thank you, I'll look at some videos on the tube tomorrow, it's too late now. I may look to see if any one of those come up on the Bay.

Thanks guys.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Dec 26, 2009,
And don't forget about the Peavey Classic 30/50! Those things are great for stacking pedals into, and pretty good on their own as well. Used fender twins and deluxe reverbs sometimes drop pretty low in price, too, and those clean tones make anyone sound decent, providing a great platform for pedal stacking.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Quote by bullets34
And don't forget about the Peavey Classic 30/50! Those things are great for stacking pedals into, and pretty good on their own as well. Used fender twins and deluxe reverbs sometimes drop pretty low in price, too, and those clean tones make anyone sound decent, providing a great platform for pedal stacking.

I went for my Blackheart over the Classic 30, I didn't like it...I sounded too, well, loose and tinny IMO.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
I went for my Blackheart over the Classic 30, I didn't like it...I sounded too, well, loose and tinny IMO.

Agreed. The classic 30 is way overrated on UG.
If you do decide to go for the MBM overdrive report back

While the subject is on amps, have you ever had chance to try out the Blackheart Hothead?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

i highly recommend the voodoo lab sparkle drive, if you can find it used, you can probably pick it up for about 70.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by SimplyBen
Agreed. The classic 30 is way overrated on UG.
If you do decide to go for the MBM overdrive report back

While the subject is on amps, have you ever had chance to try out the Blackheart Hothead?

No, I haven't. I'm very interested though, let me know if you ever try it out!

Oh, and thanks for the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive recommendation, sounds very good by listening to Youtube demos.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
for your od part, get yourself an Ibanez tube screamer, and for the david gilmour tones get a big muff.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
So, I think I'm settled for the OD, I'm gonna get a Maxon OD9 off Ebay, demos sound great, and I won't lose money from it; it's used so I can just sell it for roughly the same price as I bought it.

Is this a good option?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Don't buy from Made by Mike. His pedals look like he gave a chimp some chewing gum and wire to put them together.

Quote by bullets34

Buy my Will Slegde judge ff clone!

A Maxon OD808, a big muff (tone wicker or a Stomp Under Foot clone) and a Malekko Chicklet reverb will do you very nicely imo.

Around these parts we like Fralin Pickups, Bare Knuckles and Rock Monkey (made by CorduroyEW).
Last edited by ze monsta at Dec 27, 2009,