For Christmas I got a Tascam US1641. I did a lot of research and decided that it was the best value for the money (16/4 i/o is unheard of in that price range) but it's been nothing but trouble since I got it. I installed the drivers and of course they didn't work so I went to the website and downloaded the 64 bit Vista drivers (I have Windows 7 but there aren't drivers for that) and tried using it with my copy of Cubase and my Nuendo. Whenever I recorded anything, the program would freeze and shut down after about 4 seconds.

So I tried it with Reason: no luck. I finally got it to work with Adobe Audition (not my first choice of program but the only one that worked) and tried to make a few recordings but that was trouble, too. While recording the first track, everything was fine but when I do just one overdub, there are clicks, pops, and dropouts all over the place and they get worse when the number of tracks increases.

So I'm thinking of trying something else. FYI, I'm running Windows 7 with an Intel dual-core processor and 4gb of ram so I thought I should be able to handle this. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything in the 300 range that could be a good substitute and actually work without dropouts and pops and clicks? It would be great if I could have money left for monitors and a mic because I'm mixing with shure scl-3's and using an SM57 right now.

TL;DR? I want an interface for $300 dollars or less that will work with windows 7, USB2.0, preferably have more than 2 inputs but that's hard, and will work without clicks or dropouts.

Edit: or, is there any way to use the PCIexpress slot in my computer (notebook) to give myself firewire ports for under 100 bucks? Cause I've heard firewire is a lot better than USB
My Gear
Fender Player's Stratocaster
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Moog MF-103 12-Stage Phaser
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by guitarded32 at Dec 26, 2009,
A lot of 8 channel interfaces arent supported by Windows 7 32 or 64bit yet, audio manufacturers are notoriously slow at fixing these sort of issues, or getting round to doing the in the first place even. I should know, I avoided upgrading to 64bit because Line 6 are a bunch of lazy ****s.

Firewires a compatibility bitch too, you have to get the right card with the right firewire chipset before half the interfaces will work, and you'd be paying more. If your determined to run your Tascam straight away you'd be better downgrading to something supported like XP or Vista.
Unfortunately, downgrading the operating system isn't really an option. I'm going to call Tascam tomorrow and ask if they plan on having Windows 7 drivers any time and whether or not they will fix my problems but do you know of any USB interfaces that are compatible with Windows 7?
My Gear
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
There are no 8 channel interfaces that are USB other than the Tascam AFAIK. Other usb audio manufacturers have also been a bit slow in bringing out driver support too, most channels you could get is probably the M-audio fast track pro (I think) which has 4, but I don't know if even they support Windows 7 yet, it's a very grey area.
Okay well thanks for your help. I may return the interface and put that money towards starting a Mac fund.
My Gear
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
I tried that but I don't have a compatible processor. Thanks for the help, though. I use an iMac at school and never have any trouble so I may just get one of those in a year or so.
My Gear
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
Probably a driver issue, but don't blame the hardware and say it doesn't work with your computer when its not supported yet. Windows 7 has only just come to market recently, I doubt there is but a few manufacturers that work with it yet. Also, what does Steinberg say about cubase compatibility and Nuendo, and Adobe about Audition and Reason about their Windows 7 compatibility.

Sure its not your copies of the software? Whatever you do, is what you do, but crappy cracked copies sometimes don't always work well.

I'd say wait until some Windows 7 drivers are out as I doubt you're going to find many other interfaces that have been updated with Windows 7 drivers yet.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
I think I'm gonna save the money and buy an iMac cause, having worked with macs but never owned one, they always seem to have a way of making things work. The macs at school handle Logic Pro and the Alesis MasterControl just fine and they're several years old.

And I know I won't be able to afford the Alesis MasterControl but we also use a smaller Alesis that works just as well. It really seems like the best thing to do cause I've never used a PC that handles audio as smoothly as a mac.
My Gear
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
PC's can't handle audio is an old myth. Thousands of studios have PC's in them and they work fine. If they didn't Cubase/Nuendo/Audtion/Repear/Audicity/Protools all wouldn't make software for them if it didn't work and no one would buy them.

You have a new OS thats not compatible with a lot of software or hardware yet. If you go buy a new Mac with Snow Leopard on it, some of the software that was for Leopard may have problems too. Its not like Mac never updates their OSes and create problems either.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Macs are still better at handling audio with less hardware. My PC has 4 gb of ram and couldn't handle editing audio even before I got this interface and the mac at school has at most half that and can handle 30+ tracks of audio and midi no problem (running snow leopard). A new Mac would handle an interface and editing no problem.
My Gear
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by guitarded32
Macs are still better at handling audio with less hardware. My PC has 4 gb of ram and couldn't handle editing audio even before I got this interface and the mac at school has at most half that and can handle 30+ tracks of audio and midi no problem (running snow leopard). A new Mac would handle an interface and editing no problem.

That's most likely due to processor speed, not RAM amount.
Quote by guitarded32

I did 28 tracks on my PC running Vista yesterday. 4gbs of ram, 5 year old dual core processor (Athlon X2 3800+) and Pro Tools LE. Also had a ton of high CPU plugins running too (Pod Farm, Melodyne Studio, 7 Virtual Instruments, Auto Tune, etc).

Am I the exception to the rule?
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by guitarded32

If your pc can't edit audio, then there is something wrong with your pc. The Mac's are school are probably only used for audio. Your pc is probably used for surfing and all the other daily pc tasks and if you surf and have virus scanners and adobe and java and google and flash update software always running in the background, its going to slow things down a bit. Your pc specs should be fine. I used to use an p3 800mhz with like 384ram and get 10-15 tracks, vsts, and more running like 8 years ago when I started with audio recording, so a dual core 4gigger should be fine, really.

If you like macs, then go spend 2-3 times as much as a pc on one, but really for the price of a mac you could get a pc that would blow any mac away with tb's and tb's of storage.

And how is buying a mac an option but downgrading your os not an option?
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
I don't want to downgrade my OS because I've gotten tired of buggy Windows OS's. I know from experience that a Mac with half the specs of a PC will outperform it at pretty much anything: Audio editing, video editing, and even just surfing the web. The computers at school are all purpose computers hooked up to the internet and used for browsing, audio, and any other stuff that people use it for and they are weighed down with tons of data which uses up about half the hard drive. Also, my favorite of all the programs I've used is Logic and I've tried most others (Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Audition, Reaper, Audacity, Reason, Record, etc.)

Also, call me shallow but the form factor of a Mac is really something and a big selling point. Not as much as the performance, but it's all so neat and organized.
My Gear
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
Meh, do what you want in that regard but don't bitch one out over the other, they're both viable options and the last thing we need is to start Mac v PC threads around here.
Yeah, I'm not trying to start any sort of argument. I'm just saying that in my experience, Macs have worked better than PC's and I've enjoyed using them more so I plan on getting one. I don't have a problem with PC's or their users or anything like that, I just have a different preference.
My Gear
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112