Well I'm looking for a new amp for preferably 500 dollars or under, but i would be ok with going over a little. I play everything from 3 Doors Down to Bullet For My Valentine. Though, I do normally play more metalcore/hardcore than anything. I'm not sure what I want because i really have no clue about amps, but I think anything would probably be an upgrade from my Fender Frontman.. So what do you guys think would be a good amp for me? Oh, I also play an Epiphone Les Paul if that makes a difference in anything.
peavey vypyr. i recommend it to everyone. great amp if you're an intermediate player and like to play different genres
look into a peavey valveking and get a overdrive with it. there are a bunch of videos on youtube of people who use that same combo and can get killswitch engage, BFMV, and Shadows fall tones. i would really suggest this amp because 1. it is a tube amp 2. it is very affordable 3. it has a great sound 4. it is able to be gigged with. If i were you i would really consider it.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by iceh88
look into a peavey valveking

Well IMO, I much prefer the Vypyr 60 tube over the Valveking. They're the same price. Try both of them out. The Valveking can be a pretty great amp if you mod it but you still have to have an OD to get br00talz.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I'll look into them both. I've tried the vypyr before and I liked it, so it's what I'm leaning towards, but I'll try the valveking and see
i would say do not get an ht5 if you only have 500$

i say this because i know its a popular suggestion here (edit: though no ones suggested it yet )

I say this because, while the amp is like 400$, you are probably gonna want pedals. at least a reverb/delay, maybe an overdrive/distortion.

my ht5 ended up costing me like 1000 cause of pedals. (makes no sense to buy crap pedals with a good amp; i got a fulltone OCD, keeley metal zone, tech 21 RVB, isp decimator, mxr 10 band eq, and i needed a pedal power to power them)
Last edited by SpeedLives at Dec 26, 2009,
How loud (or quiet) of an amp do you need?

Blackstar HT-5 is 5 watts and pretty nice, not sure if it will do everything you want though, but a pedal with definitely get you there.

The new Jet City amps are amazing for the price. You can get the 20 watt 1x12 combo or the 20 watt head and 1x12 cab for $500. Or you could even get the 20 watt head ($300) and choose your own speaker cab (make sure to match impedance though, I think the head is 16 ohm for mono output).

Peavey Vypers are pretty good if you want the modelling options.

I don't like Valvekings, and apparently they take some tube upgrades and speaker changes to make sound good. So yeah, just my two cents.

Quote by SpeedLives
i would say do not get an ht5 if you only have 500$

i say this because i know its a popular suggestion here (edit: though no ones suggested it yet )

I say this because, while the amp is like 400$, you are probably gonna want pedals. at least a reverb/delay, maybe an overdrive/distortion.

my ht5 ended up costing me like 1000 cause of pedals. (makes no sense to buy crap pedals with a good amp; i got a fulltone OCD, keeley metal zone, tech 21 RVB, isp decimator, mxr 10 band eq, and i needed a pedal power to power them)

How is this different from any regular amp? My JSX didn't come with any effects...
I have a huge fear if rays.
I forgot about Jet City. I highly recommend you try them, amazing amps. It might need an OD for br00talz but it does have quite a bit of gain on tap as well.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
I've not heard of jet city, so i'll go have a listen to some demo's on youtube if i can find any. And I don't necessarily need a loud amp, but i would prefer it. When I play with my drummer, when my current amp is actually loud enough to hear, it sounds horrible, but it doesn't sound that bad at low volumes.
Since your an avid metal player, I reccomend on getting a Marshall M64 Series MG102FX 100w 1x12 guitar amp. Marshalls have been known for their crunchy distortion you probably crave, and the louder it is, the more fun time you have .

You can get this amp for $479 at Musician's Friend.com, Free Shipping On Certain Days, and (depending on your state) Free Tax
Ibanez IJX121
^ Silly December 09'ers.

He definitely doesn't want a 100w MG for metal. MG's are pretty good practice amps if you play nothing heavier than hard rock, but they are not gig-worthy. They sound horrible at higher volumes IMO.

Quote by PunkGuitaristx
Marshalls have been known for their crunchy distortion you probably crave, and the louder it is, the more fun time you have .

Yeah they have. Not just any Marshall's, but high-end tube Marshall's i.e. JCM 2000, 800, 900, JVM, etc. Not MG's. Like I siad good practice amps but that's it. You don't want them for Metal or for gigs, let alone combined.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by charlescray
peavey vypyr. i recommend it to everyone. great amp if you're a beginner who doesn't know which music styles he will play later.

Fixed.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz