Helloo. I got a straight-angled monster cable to go with my new wah for christmas and it was working fine for the first few hours but soon my sound started to cut out and I realized that the angled end would only work if you applied pressure to it. So since it was ordered from the GC website, can I still go to my GC store and get it replaced, even if the receipt is from the website?

I'm pretty sure theyd be okay with it but I don't wanna drive out there just to have them deny me. Thanks
Now do you believe in rock and roll?

Can music save your mortal soul?
Just walk in with it. No receipt needed.

If they don't have the style ya want, they'll give you it's equal.
EDIT: that's the way it's been with Mogami, they've assured me Monster is the same.

Agreed, give a call if it's a nasty drive.
Last edited by Rutch at Dec 26, 2009,