So I've been saving up my money since I bought my VK in August. I've got $550 saved up and I want to ditch my Valveking. I'm thinking if I can sell it locally to someone for $300, then that'll leave me $850 USD.

I'm looking for an amp that can go all over the board, do good cleans, but be able to get heavy like Van Halen, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, etc.

As far as gigging goes, I gig maybe once a month, but often just every other month. I jam with my mates probably once a week. Therefore it must sound good at bedroom volume

I live in Alaska, so going used isn't really an option for me. Shipping an amp on eBay would be upwards of $200 to ship Fedex/UPS.

Thanks for your recommendations!
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Last edited by soul.power at Dec 26, 2009,
You could get a Peavey JSX or Bugera 333XL. Also look into Jet City Amps which are amazing IMO.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
^I second the JSX. I don't know how much they are brand new in Alaska though?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Third the JSX.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Fourth the JSX and second the Jet City.
I have a huge fear if rays.
The JSX is 120 watts, would that be able to be played at bedroom levels?

I know that wattage doesn't equal volume, but as far as headroom goes, will it be significantly more headroom than my 50W Valveking? My VK right now seems a little beefy for bedroom use. I rarely turn it up past 2.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Last edited by soul.power at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by soul.power
The JSX is 120 watts, would that be able to be played at bedroom levels?

I know that wattage doesn't equal volume, but as far as headroom goes, will it be significantly more headroom than my 50W Valveking? My VK right now seems a little beefy for bedroom use. I rarely turn it up past 2.

120W is pretty much overkill. You'll barely turn it above 1.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
They dont make 100-150 watt amps for the volume anymore, they make them for the headroom in the power stage to avoid unwanted power tube clipping that results in sag, but you want it loud enough to get the harmonic overtones from the power tubes.

Short answer, yes, you will be able to play at bedroom levels, but it will sound better live when you can turn it up a bit
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by R.D
They dont make 100-150 watt amps for the volume anymore, they make them for the headroom in the power stage to avoid unwanted power tube clipping that results in sag, but you want it loud enough to get the harmonic overtones from the power tubes.

Short answer, yes, you will be able to play at bedroom levels, but it will sound better live when you can turn it up a bit

Ok, thats good to know.

However, most of my playing goes on in my house at bedroom levels. That's why I kind of agree with the guy above you, 120W seems like overkill for my situation, seeing as how I rarely gig.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
You could just invest in an attenuator and have the best of both worlds.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
True, but I've looked at some prices and:

$600-$800 for JSX Head on eBay
$200-ish for shipping
$329 for THD Hot Plate attenuator

Total: $1100 - $1300

That's way out of my price range.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
True, but I've looked at some prices and:

$600-$800 for JSX Head on eBay
$200-ish for shipping
$329 for THD Hot Plate attenuator

Total: $1100 - $1300

That's way out of my price range.

Well then your next best option IMO is to get a Bugera 333XL instead, which is a clone of the XXX/JSX.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by JayT44
Well then your next best option IMO is to get a Bugera 333XL instead, which is a clone of the XXX/JSX.

Allright I'll take a look at those. In fact, I think they now carry Bugeras at my local shop, and they just got a 6260 I know so maybe they have a 333XL as well.

I've also looked at the Laney GH50L 50W head. I can get it used for $700ish and to ship it up here would be maybe $50-$100. Anyone have opinions on this head? I guess once I get a cab it would be out of my range, but I could maybe save up a bit more.

Also, I'm looking at the Laney VC-30 or Laney LC-30. I might be able to get those used, anyone have opinions on those?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ