good evening hard rockers, and merry xmas to you all...

in my quest for my all defining custom electric specifictions, i started looking at some photos of the Manson Guitar i intend to (for lack of a better word) copy. and i realised the f***ing thing has no truss rod cover and this leads me to assume it has no truss rod... which is odd, as me currently being an LP man, have never saw in my life, and i was wondering... surely the guitar has a truss rod... i have been led to believe that it is one of the most critical parts of a guitar...i just cant see the relief where the rod is, or how it can be adjusted ?!?

i know the pic is kinda odd here, but the real pic i was looking at is too big in size and UG wont let me upload it. its a Bolt on Neck and there is no hole either on the front or back of the headstock. there is a small relief just below the neck as you can see though, under the strings. im not sure if that is part of the issue but whatever...

yes i know my guitar technical skills are laughable, so bear with me... but i just rock out on it, i dont screw around with the ins and outs of it.. =P

can anyone enlighten me ?
Attachments:
1243395588-1240939446731_f.jpg
you can see the rout for the rod, look closely at the base off the neck near the neck pup, every steel strung guitar requires a truss rod is the general rule, i think the only exception is a carbon fibre one(not 100% sure)
maybe that little notch below the neck? seems to me like that could be it.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
As pointed out, the Manson does have a truss rod.

If you're looking for guitars with no truss rod, check out Vigier:

You've read it, you can't un-read it!
thanks... nah i aint looking for one without a truss rod, just assumed it never had one and was like WtF

so now i suppose i get the truss rod routed up through the neck then obviously the neck put on... i aint adjusting the f***ing thing anyway once its built, im getting the luthier to do everything so not a problem lol just got a bit...worried is all :p lol
if you're making the neck yourself you'll probably want to make the neck back, then route for a truss rod, put it in and make sure it can be adjusted, then put the fretboard over top of it. thats how 90% of the necks out there are made now.

the other option is the skunk stripe. this is the off-color piece of wood on the back of a neck. the picture is a little big so i'm just going to give you the link.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.blackman4/images/50-2.jpg

thats how 1 piece necks would have the truss rod inserted. otherwise the neck would have to be massive to keep from warping (and would probably end up warping anyway). most classical guitars have no truss rod, so they have very thick and wide necks to accommodate.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
i looked at the pic of the fender neck u sent.... now look at this link...

http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/categories/manson-signature-guitars/manson-signature-guitars/mb1-standard/zoomimage-2.html

as you can see in the zoomed in image, there is no skunk stripe, and the neck is only one length of wood, as you can see....

so i think the idea that the little relief at the bottom of the neck MUST be where the truss rod goes... other wise i really have no idea how the truss rod is ran, or even how it is adjusted... quite an odd one this lol
the location of the truss rod access has been traditionally located the same as the manson guitar for years, aslong as there`s a trussrod in the neck it doesn`t matter which end you access it from, personally i prefer to access from the headstock.

accessing it from the body means the rod runs almost the entire length of the neck, whereas from the headstock they tend to end somewhere around frets 14-17.

maybe the guys in the GB&C forum can help you more with your neck design.
Quote by KingHenrik1967
i looked at the pic of the fender neck u sent.... now look at this link...

http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/categories/manson-signature-guitars/manson-signature-guitars/mb1-standard/zoomimage-2.html

as you can see in the zoomed in image, there is no skunk stripe, and the neck is only one length of wood, as you can see....

so i think the idea that the little relief at the bottom of the neck MUST be where the truss rod goes... other wise i really have no idea how the truss rod is ran, or even how it is adjusted... quite an odd one this lol

The Manson doesn't need a skunk stripe: the route for the truss rod is made before the fingerboard is glued onto the neck.

By the way, as an example of another guitar that has a truss rod that can be adjusted at the end of the fretboard, look at the EVH Wolfgang:

You've read it, you can't un-read it!
And Ernie Ball Musicman Axis. I think a couple of the older fenders had them at the neck heel to, you'd have to take the neck off to adjust... I do my builds with heel adjusting Spoke Nut Truss rods, just like in the EBMM Axis and EVH and Peavey Wolfgangs. I just like the look of it, and i dont have to fuss with making a hole at the headstock and weakening that area... not sure if its a huge difference in weakness, but im comfortable doing it the way i do it...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I would not like to go back to playing a guitar with a truss rod - I prefer a light guitar with long sustain and no dead spots - also if I change string gauges, tunings or climate change - I like to make a quick adjustment to the bridge and get on with what we all love best, playing.

...Imagine if we still had to go by horse and cart everywhere...evolution.
Check out Basslab, they don't need a trussrod (but have one for reasons of adapting the action to one's playing style). If you order one of those, you can have them make one without truss rod. Carbon fiber is just strong enough to withstand the tension of the strings on its own. =)

Otherwise: Wooden necks need a truss rod for steel strings.
I remember seeing on some website a guitar with no truss rod, just a hollow neck and a second set of strings countering the tension.

Seemed to me like an odd system