hmm, at a push, maybe warwick? just because of the mid range growl. could try out the geddy lee jazz bass too, that has some serious growl.
Well considering that they have custom pickups that aren't in any other bass's and that i dont reckon anyone on here has even played a wal. I dont think we can really help you on this one. If youre willing to spend 3500 you can order one now.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^I have played a Wal. Owned by the same guy who owns the prototype Warwick Alien I've played. You aren't going to get anything close to a Wal in terms of sound. Some people may think they can get close, but it's the little nuances they have which makes them leagues different.
Nothing will get it exact, for reasons already stated, but I'd imagine a HH Stingray would be a good place to start.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fatgoogle
Well considering that they have custom pickups that aren't in any other bass's and that i dont reckon anyone on here has even played a wal. I dont think we can really help you on this one. If youre willing to spend 3500 you can order one now.

I'd read somewhere that someone was making new Wal basses, but I didn't know they were actually filling new orders. Do you have a link?
There's a 5 string Wal on Ebay at the moment for £3000.00, could save yourself £500 if you're quick
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Well i forget his name but the man who's running wal now is completing all back orders for people who still want them. Then he will start on new orders but youll be expected to wait a couple of years id reckon. Hes also having trouble with the stock of parts.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Paul Herman. I wouldn't want to have to fill the shoes he's trying to fill.
I found the new website. The prices start at over US$5,000.00 and rapidly go up from there. You have to request a quote on both the price (based on features that you want) and delivery time. I got the impression that the wait would be rather long. Still, it is nice to see Wal basses being made again. Maybe some day I'll be willing to shell out that much money for a bass.
honestly i think that some of the schecter basses can get a some what wal-ish tone.
but let me clarify a few things 1. i'm talking about the stiletto series(elite,custom,etc.)
and 2. i'm talking about playing it with a pick, and getting a tone like justin chancellor gets. NOT geddy lee. with a good eq pedal or frequency booster, i guarantee you could get pretty close to a wal tone from a schecter. my next bet would be a MM stingray as well.
If you put an ACG Filter Preamp into a mainly mahogany bodied maple necked bass you're gonna start to get closer.

The pickups involve individual coils for each string, which I believe another company also has a pickup in a similar design (Rio Grande?) though I can't recall right now.

Of course, the ACG isn't exactly the same. But it'll get you close than a normal cut/boost preamp.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Last edited by Nutter_101 at Dec 28, 2009,