Poll: Keyboard or Sitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Keyboard or Sitar?
Keyboard
27 60%
Sitar
18 40%
Voters: 45.
Since Christmas is over I almost have enough money to invest in something new to add to my musical collection, I just need to save a little bit more, but I am in a dilemma as to what to go for. I've been thinking about this for weeks and can't decide, so maybe this would make it a bit easier. It doesn't fit into any of the other music boards so I thought i'd put it here, move it if need be.

But anyways, it is between a keyboard or a sitar.

Both are things I know that I am going to end up purchasing, I just don't know which one to go for first.

This is the keyboard-
Akai MPK61
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Akai-Professional-MPK61-USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Controller?sku=583107&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=388807315

and this is the sitar-
http://aacm.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_83&products_id=368

They are both roughly the same price, so i'm not sure which to lean towards.

Keyboard-
-I've been playing piano a lot more, so I need a bigger keyboard
-I have a 49 key midi controller with no knobs/faders, and a 25 key Oxygen 8 which has some knobs
-It has pads, knobs, and faders
-It is more relevant for my major in college
-I have a flight case that I can use to transport it between school/home

Sitar-
-It is a life goal of mine to learn how to play it
-Every time I listen to indian classical with sitar it just makes me happy inside
-I don't have any exotic instruments and it's something completely new
-I am worried about bringing it on the plane between school/home since it is a very fragile instrument

I think the main thing holding me back is that the keyboard has more of a need then the sitar, but the sitar makes me happy and really WANT to learn it.

So I don't know how to spend my money...Pit, help me!
Since you need the keyboard more, I'd say buy that then start saving up for the sitar?

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Keyboard seems like the smarter choice. Especially if it will help you with college. That's where my vote is going.
sitar is ****-hard and really frustrating.

keyboard is fun and lighthearted the majority of the time. plus a sitar doesnt have many musical applications in a modern band.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Get that sitar.
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
Quote by Oli_Leprechaun
and may i ask you the question - what's your guitar rig (if you have any)?

Ibanez S-540 Custom
Ibanez Universe
Few others
T.C. Electronic G-Major rack unit
Carvin V3 stack

In other words, I have more then enough guitar gear, and have actually been playing guitar less and less. So guitar gear is out of the question

Quote by Silver-spear94
sitar is ****-hard and really frustrating.

keyboard is fun and lighthearted the majority of the time. plus a sitar doesnt have many musical applications in a modern band.

I'm willing to put the work in, and I don't want to play in a band, I want to play Indian classical music
Quote by Data Helmet
That sitar looks like a penis. I think it's a sign.

all sitars look like a penis from that angle

on topic: the keyboard
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by hollow1928years
Ibanez S-540 Custom
Ibanez Universe
Few others
T.C. Electronic G-Major rack unit
Carvin V3 stack

In other words, I have more then enough guitar gear, and have actually been playing guitar less and less. So guitar gear is out of the question

I'm willing to put the work in, and I don't want to play in a band, I want to play Indian classical music

fair enough.

nice rig btw.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by hollow1928years
Ibanez S-540 Custom

Well i dunno why you find the sitar and indian music so attractive... nowadays nobody except for indians play the sitars because they're not versatile and generally boring to listen to...

on the other hand the piano has effects and a bunch of other sh*t which makes this instrument interesting and fun...imho
Quote by Oli_Leprechaun
Well i dunno why you find the sitar and indian music so attractive... nowadays nobody except for indians play the sitars because they're not versatile and generally boring to listen to...

on the other hand the piano has effects and a bunch of other sh*t which makes this instrument interesting and fun...imho

I don't want to be a dick so i'm not even going to reply to that. The first part is quite ignorant and also subjective.

Quote by SlayingDragons

Very interesting, but not what i'm looking for.
Quote by hollow1928years
I don't want to be a dick so i'm not even going to reply to that. The first part is quite ignorant and also subjective.

Very interesting, but not what i'm looking for.

are you indian?
Quote by Data Helmet
That sitar looks like a penis. I think it's a sign.

As usual, the first post is the best

>.>

<.<
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Get the keyboard and have it make sitar sounds.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Quote by ext1jdh
Get the keyboard and have it make sitar sounds.

Unfortunately all keyboard sitar sounds are horrible because bending is such a huge part of sitar its impossible to recreate.
Quote by hollow1928years
Unfortunately all keyboard sitar sounds are horrible because bending is such a huge part of sitar its impossible to recreate.

well you seem to be convinced of getting that sitar. So get it then!
I'd get the sitar, but that's just coming from personal taste.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
The sitar man! How many people have one of those? It's an awesome instrument with an awesome sound. If you're doing a music course, surely they have plenty of keyboards at school for you to practice on until you have enough for your own.
Quote by Beserker
The sitar man! How many people have one of those? It's an awesome instrument with an awesome sound. If you're doing a music course, surely they have plenty of keyboards at school for you to practice on until you have enough for your own.

Not to mention he has some already!

If you just want a midi controller with a drum pad, get a drum pad and hook it up to a controller you're already using! They're less than 120 at GC.
Quote by captaincrunk
Not to mention he has some already!

If you just want a midi controller with a drum pad, get a drum pad and hook it up to a controller you're already using! They're less than 120 at GC.

The main thing about the keyboard was that everything is condensed into one keyboard, so I wouldn't have to have multiple keyboards on stage, plus its 61 keys and I only have a 49.

GODDDDD why is this so difficult, haha

I just want to spend my money smart, and not regret whichever one I purchase first
Last edited by hollow1928years at Dec 26, 2009,