Quote by computers
looking for practice tips and things i can do to improve, just on everything

That's a very general question, so I'll give a general answer...

1) listen to & appreciate music

2) Learn, memorize, & enjoy playing music on your guitar

3) learn to read standard notation

4) study music (theory n stuff)

5) create music

* work on techniques via practicing music. If you find a particular technique is holding you back, spend time focusing on that.
shred is gaudy music
I don't know what your current level of playing is, but I like to practice by learning songs and improvising over jam tracks. Just start with some easy but awesome songs like "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest for example and work yourself up from there if you are just starting.
When improvising use the appropriate scales and be concious of the changes going on in the chord progression you are playing over. This is essential when you want to hit the strong notes of the chords being played (namely the root the 3th and the 5th).

Furthermore I always like to practice some flash techniques on the side to really spice up my playing, like tapping or sweep picking. But I don't recommend you put too much time in these developing techniques as they will come naturally over time.

I would like to stress again that I don't know what your current level of playing is. I don't want to give you too much information you can't work with
Last edited by PhrygianDominan at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky

* work on techniques via practicing music. If you find a particular technique is holding you back, spend time focusing on that.

+1.

None of this spider/chromatic/musical BS exercises you see getting thrown around. If you want to learn to play complicated stuff, learn the licks, not scales up and down for hours a day.