If i wanted to tune to half a step down couldnt i capo the 1st fret and tune to standard?

and

if i wanted to tune to a whole step down couldnt i capo the secound andtune to standard?
No, capos are used to tune up, if Im not mistaken.

Putting a capo on the 2nd fret is essentially like barring the second fret, which raises the note.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Tedis1111
If i wanted to tune to half a step down couldnt i capo the 1st fret and tune to standard?

and

if i wanted to tune to a whole step down couldnt i capo the secound andtune to standard?

Assuming your guitar is in perfect standard tuning, yes. Just get a tuner.

Quote by Mitochondria9

Putting a capo on the 2nd fret is essentially like barring the second fret, which raises the note.

By raising the note with a capo, leaving it, and then tuning it down to standard WITH THE CAPO ON, once the capo is removed, it'll be in whatever tuning he wanted it in.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Dec 26, 2009,
you could, yes, but i don't recommend tuning with a capo
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Mitochondria9

yeah it is but once thats done tune to standard so the 2nd fret sounds like standard tune so open would be 2 frets down from standard which i think is a whole step down
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Assuming your guitar is in perfect standard tuning, yes. Just get a tuner.

i have but it only has eadgbe on it
Nope, you can't tune with a capo on, it will act almost like a locking nut, so when you tune, you will have to de tune alot more than you normally would, then once you take it off you will be in a horrible tuning that is completly wrong. Mabey try holding the 6th sting on the first fret and tune down to standard, then do the 5th fret tuning technique.
Oohh youre using it to *tune*.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Tedis1111
i have but it only has eadgbe on it

Get a better tuner?

You realize you can also downtune by playing the 12th fret E and tuning it to match your D string. then youre in Drop-D. Then using the 5th fret technique, you can tune to D-Standard, and then you can drop the D to a C by tuning it to the 7th fret on the 5th string, and so on an so forth.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Dec 26, 2009,
yes u can, as long as ur guitar is perfectly intonation. if not, it wont work right. its best to just use the flat function on a tuner.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC