so i'm just curious what other acoustic players had to say about this. when i shop for an electric the scale length can definitely make or break a deal completely. i love my 25.5" scale guitars, and with anything other than an SG i really hate shorter scales, no matter how cool the guitar may be (i'm looking at you, Fender Jaguar).

but when i shopped my ass off for an acoustic it was so hard to find specs on scale length. some sites would have a number, but most listed woods and materials, but no more. so my question to you, Acoustic & Classical, is how important is scale length in an acoustic to you?
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
scale length is important to me. i want comfort when i play, and a shorter scale equals less string tension. it is unlikely i will buy another guitar with over a 25 inch scale.

btw, i find that if you type into google the exact guitar and the words "scale length", you'll find tons of sites with the info.
Last edited by patticake at Dec 26, 2009,
yeah i definitely did my research when i was trying to figure out what i want. just think it's strange sites like musiciansfriend don't have scale length on almost every acoustic like they do with electrics.

and i'm with you on the 25 inch scale thing! mine is just under 25 inches, and i love it. think i'll be sticking with that range for a long long time. perfect for me

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
Scale length is more preference than anything. It does change the sound of the guitar a little. If I remember correctly, longer scale lengths(more tension) result in brighter sounding guitars.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Really, I can play almost any shaped guitar out there. I learned how to play on a LP style electric, but my first acoustic was 25.5. I know play a Strat as my main electric, which is a 25.5. I could play a 24.84, but really, although I'm more comfortable on a 25.5, I'll suffice with a 24.84 or whatever.

Some people treat this as a make or break deal. For me, it doesn't matter too much. Just as long as it's not like...12" or whatever.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by clayonfire
Some people treat this as a make or break deal. For me, it doesn't matter too much. Just as long as it's not like...12" or whatever.

yeah. it's definitely a make or break for me. i'm about as picky about scale length as i am about having a solid top on my acoustic. it's much more important to me on electrics (where i notice a difference more) but i still definitely would avoid an acoustic with the wrong scale length. if it doesn't feel right then i almost don't care how good it sounds.

Quote by LifeIsABullet16
yeah. it's definitely a make or break for me. i'm about as picky about scale length as i am about having a solid top on my acoustic. it's much more important to me on electrics (where i notice a difference more) but i still definitely would avoid an acoustic with the wrong scale length. if it doesn't feel right then i almost don't care how good it sounds.

And I agree with you 100% on that bit. An instrument should be comfortable to play.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Same here Dave.

Scale lengths vary on my guitars (LPs, Strat,s Mustang, Ovations, OM-1, Dean Bass), as do neck shapes, but I seem to adapt easily to each one. Wider nut widths usually takes me a few seconds to readjust too. To me, ease of play is more a part of a good setup.

I guess there is something to be said for owning and playing more than one guitar.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77