I am being offered the amp in the title for USD 700. The guy says the head is in perfect condition, but the cabinet has "some serious road wear" and it has a custom paint job. He says I can come test it out all I want, but before I bother with a long drive, I want to get UG's expert opinion on it.

I was wondering:
1. Is this a good deal?
2. Is the amp good for the type of music I will be using it for?

I play a lot of clean and distorted lead/rhythm for my modern rock-sounding band, but I play a lot of different metal rhythm and leads (think 80's thrash and neoclassical) for fun.

(btw, the guitar I will be playing through this is a BC Rich Warlock with active EMG 81/85 pups)

**EDIT: It's actually USD 700
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Last edited by *kill'emall* at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by *kill'emall*
I was wondering:
1. Is this a good deal?
2. Is the amp good for the type of music I will be using it for?

1. IMO, No. Everytime I go to Sam Ash Indy or Guitar Center Cinci I see a Mode Four. The Sam Ash was selling it for $450 used and the GC for $500. And also That cab looks ridiculous IMO.
2. I've personally never played one. It is a solid state, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. And as for tone, John 5 (Rob Zombie's guitarist) keeps one as a backup for his JCM 900's on his live rig, if that says anything. Look up some demo videos on YouTube of them and see if you like how they sound.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Dec 26, 2009,
The mode 4 cabs are very good.

Don't know about the heads, never used one before.
"custom paint job" lol.

I'd say pass and do some more shopping, $700 is a good amount of cash, you can probably get specifically whatever you're into playing.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I personally think the heads are god awful. They are solid state, and thus imo sound sterile and cold. they can call it "hybrid" all they want, but in the end those tubes really add nothing. for that price you can get a used JCM900 head, which is WAY better suited, and sounds 10x better
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 26, 2009,
I've had one for a few years and I like it a lot, but in order to get the best tone out of it, it has to be turned up pretty loud (and it is a 350-watt amplifier, so that means loud). It has very good cleans and it gives a great high-gain sound. To be honest, the head sounds better through a 1960 cabinet than through the Mode Four cabinets. There's a lot of low end in the Marshall Mode Four cabinets that is great for some stuff but not so much for others.

I wouldn't buy that cabinet. You can get a better deal on an unmolested...excuse me, unmodified cabinet. See if you can get the guy to give you a good deal on just the amplifier. I think he's stuck with that cabinet for life.
I never did like how those things sounded. They're loud, which is about all I can say to recommend them.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
the heads ****ing suck. brittle digital sound, don't get it. really terrible sounding amps IMO.
fizzy sounding for sure.
the guys comments above me about turning it up will make no difference, it is a solid state amp. the 350 watts is so it has lots of headroom, so that it WONT get solid state break up. that way you can have your clean channel plenty loud without clipping the diodes.

just dont get it, i guess is what im saying.
plus, your active pups deserve a tube amp to push. not solid state. AND the cab is fugly.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by wyldeshredder
brittle digital sound

No.

It's an analog amp. It can't sound digital. It can sound like arse, but it will never sound digital.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
not a big fan of the mode 4...but its better than the MG IMO. still kind of a steep price...theres one here in KC on the CL for $600 and it doesn't have the 'custom paint.' I'm a huge EVH fan...and I've done a couple of frankie replicas...but that cab just looks terrible
Run away! Run away! Flee!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I got a JCM 800 halfstack for $800 USD, so I'd say no.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i had a mode 4 as a loner once... it was a wicked amp, GREAT for metal, i don`t know about anything else though.

if i wasn`t so into tubes i`d seriously look at buying a Mode 4
Play it first, from the replies you've gotten it's one of those; "you either hate it or you love it" things. If you decide you do like it try and beat him down on the price. It's not really worth what he's asking.
I don't mind the Mode 4 tonal wise...though i've never played one thats functioned properly. I'd stay away if I were you and take your cash somewhere else...def. not worth the risk, even if they are fairly neato amps.
I've got the MF400 cab and I love it.
It also looks a lot better than that horrible custom Paint Job.
Pass it and get something else. Seriously, it looks hideous.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
no.

If you want to re-grill and re-tolex a cab, offer him low bucks for that.

Skip on the head. Unless you need more clean headroom than a hair salon.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.