Hey GB&C i have a couple of questions on some things that i have been thinking.

I am using a Carvin V3 100 Watt head and running that with an Avatar 2x12 with V30s as well as with a Vader 2x12. I am running the cabs in parallel (i beleive, i have two speaker outs on my carvin and i have each cab hooked up to one of those).

So my dilemma is that, i have the Avatar sitting on top of the Vader and i can barely hear the sound of the Vader when i play as well as the fact it is very loud when using both cabs. What i want to do is swap one of the speakers from each cab so that it ends up in an X pattern like most 4x12s with mixed speakers.

Granted that the V30s are 60 watts and the other eminence speakers in the vader are 100 watts, does that mean that i am turning each cab into 60 watt cabs or do each ones become 120 watt cabs. Can i keep running my Carvin at 100 watts or should i switch it to 50 watts.
There's a lot of needed info missing from your post - the most important being the speakers' impedance values and what the amp can support.

If you go through the pages here, http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/stereocab.html, you'll get a better understanding.

If I were to shoot from the hip, I'd guess that the speakers' sensitivity ratings are very different; thus, one cab is louder than the other.

Let's wait for the experts/pros to chime in.

Good Luck!

Ok sorry wasnt sure what i needed.

Both cabs are 8 ohms. I believe both cabs are wired in series which would make each speaker 16 ohms?

The amp can do 4 8 and 16 ohms and is switchable from 50 to 100 watts
what i would do it contact avatar. They will build a cabinet with the speaker holes in it, and all you have to do is put the speakers in. get a 4x12 and put them in your X pattern. my avatar is all Celestion Vintage 30's and i run a Valveking through it. Sounds great imo

EDIT: if you have one in each jack on the amp, theyre most likely parallel, not series
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Last edited by christianbassis at Dec 26, 2009,
I have a similar question (sorry to hi-jack) I have a 112 16ohm cab and a 112 8 ohm cab, I want to run both, what should I set my amp ohm to?

Thanks! v
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by Tempoe
I have a similar question (sorry to hi-jack) I have a 112 16ohm cab and a 112 8 ohm cab, I want to run both, what should I set my amp ohm to?

umm... 4 ohms will get you close..... but i still wouldnt recommend it... if you wire them in parallel youll have an ohm load of 5.33, which isnt on most amps... actually ive never seen an amp with tht...
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by Chaosinborn
Ok sorry wasnt sure what i needed.

Both cabs are 8 ohms. I believe both cabs are wired in series which would make each speaker 16 ohms?

The amp can do 4 8 and 16 ohms and is switchable from 50 to 100 watts

If both cabs are wired in series then each speaker would be 4 ohms. Parallel would make the speakers 16 ohms.
The impedance of each speaker isnt as important here, its the total of each cab. Both cabs are 8 ohms right?
I just looked up the V3 manual, the outputs are wired in parallel. Using 2 8 ohm cabs in parallel gives a total impedance of 4 ohms, so you should have it set on 4.
yea got it figured out. but ran into a problem. looks like the vader cab has an extremely strong rubber like glue that keep the speaker mounted. I cant get it off and it would take forever to cut through it. So im gonna have to deal until i can buy a 4x12 cab.
Quote by Chaosinborn
yea got it figured out. but ran into a problem. looks like the vader cab has an extremely strong rubber like glue that keep the speaker mounted. I cant get it off and it would take forever to cut through it. So im gonna have to deal until i can buy a 4x12 cab.

back to my original post, Avatar makes GREAT 4x12 cabs. I believe they'll let you mix-match the speakers also. contact them
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by Tempoe

Thanks! v

This gives 5.3 ohms as has been said. Any solid state amp will be happy with this and a valve amp should be fine at either 4 or 8 ohm settings though you may get slightly less power (it won't be noticeable).

The problem you will have is that the 8ohm speaker will be handling a lot more power than the 16 and so should be capable of handling all the amps power and unless the 16 is very efficient it is the 8 which will dominate the sound. The combination won't be much louder than the 8 on its own but if this is an issue put the 8 on top so it is nearer your ears.
Quote by Phil Starr
This gives 5.3 ohms as has been said. Any solid state amp will be happy with this and a valve amp should be fine at either 4 or 8 ohm settings though you may get slightly less power (it won't be noticeable).

The problem you will have is that the 8ohm speaker will be handling a lot more power than the 16 and so should be capable of handling all the amps power and unless the 16 is very efficient it is the 8 which will dominate the sound. The combination won't be much louder than the 8 on its own but if this is an issue put the 8 on top so it is nearer your ears.
Awesome! This is why I thought that the sensitivity ratings of the speakers would make a difference in loudness between the Avatar and Vader.