Hello! I own a VOX VT 30 and I am going to sell it tomorrow because it just doesn't sound good for me. It's got tone and effects-saving flaws and it's so damn complicated to set up and use.

Now I'm looking for a metal practice 30 watt amplifier. My choices would be:
1: Roland Cube 30x
2: Line 6 Spider III 30

I don't know if that matters, but I own a high-end guitar equipped with EMG 81/85 active pickups.

So which amp offers more quality, reliability and versatility?
Not a big fan of the cubes, so I'd take the Spider between those two. But IMO the Vypyr is the bestt of the modeling amps, but they aren't very user-friendly from my experience, but sound pretty good.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Get the Roland Cube.

I've got one, and it's one of the best solid state practice amps i've ever played.
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
None of them will work well with EMGs.

Both of them will sound as good/bad as your VOX or even worse.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
None of them will work well with EMGs.

Both of them will sound as good/bad as your VOX or even worse.

You know I played a Marshall MG 100 before(I know it's the shittiest amp ever) and a roland micro cube and honestly the cube sounded alot better than the marshall. Too bad it lacked an equalizer. But overall awesome stuff. And the acoustic simulator just left me speechless
I would recommend the cube, i have 1 n i really prefer it to all the SS amps iv played. But, for the first time in my life i am gonna say listen to Jesus haha, jesuscrisp is right. I played a Schecter Hellraiser with EMGs through my Cube 60 and it sounded worse than my Schecter B1 blackhawk with stock pickups.

You would be better sticking with your Vox or looking into a small tube amp IMO
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Steel8909
TS, you're basically selling your current amp to buy another similar amp.

I state the same
roland kick the biggest ass, line 6 are bollocks, just traded my floor pod in, good riddance, now i just have to put up with a spider 3 head until i get a peavey, at least i have my trusty boss me 50
Gear:

-Jackson RR3
-Jackson DXMG
-Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
-Bugera 4x12 Slanted Cabinet
-Boss NS-2
Danelectro Fish And Chips 7 Band EQ
Guyatone Compressor
Quote by Steel8909
TS, you're basically selling your current amp to buy another similar amp.

True, but the Cube is far superior for higher-gain stuff.
TS: Cube, Cube, Cube, Cube, Cube, Cube, Cube.

Personally, I prefer them to any low-end moddelling amp (including the Vypr). They're simple, and sound pretty decent as long as you're not a monkey with an EQ
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Buy a real amp instead.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The cube is okay for a modeling amp. Although, it's not a big step up from a Vox modeling amp even if it suits you more.
Quote by Cathbard
Buy a real amp instead.

I said a practice amp dude. And I told you guys why I'm selling the vox. Too complicated and unreliable. So I'll just take the cube. Saw some reviews that said it's rock solid and I'm gonna have no problem with it
Don't get the Spider, it's really not that good.
The Cube is okay, but it was a bit lackluster when I played it.
I didn't like the Vypyr too much either, but it's the best for metal and second-best (next to the Vox VT) in the modeling amps of that low-range.

I think you would like the Vypyr, but if you have to choose between the Spider and the Cube.
Get the Cube.

^The Vox is unreliable...? My brother in law has had his ADVT for five years, and it's been to hell and back (dropped down two flights of stairs, tossed around in truck)... it still works like it did when it was new.

Don't go off reviews online. Try the amps out in-person... if you can, that is.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Dec 27, 2009,
the cube is better than the spider.

But really keep the Vox and learn to EQ properly. How is it complicated to use? Just go to "Manual Mode" and choose ur amp model and then eq, then play. THats it.

also listen to this, he's getting a pretty nice metal tone with the Vox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87rYo8e2M5E
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Allright, I recognize, the VOX is a great amp but I don't know if it's just me but it saves improperly the sounds I add to the bank and the effects. For example if the reverb knob is halfway, I turn the amp off, I turn it on(the reverb knob is still halfway), the amp takes the reverb like it's 0. I have to move the knob just a lil bit so the amp will recognize the reverb knob. That's only one example. That's why it is unreliable. Can't trust it on stage.
And I'll take the cube...it's got a tuner, an awesome acoustic simulator, power squeezer blablabla. Thanks guys for helping me make my choice

And about the youtube clip...yeah the vox has got 22 amp models, each one with 3 options. That's 66 amp models. Pretty good
Last edited by DethDroogie at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by DethDroogie
Allright, I recognize, the VOX is a great amp but I don't know if it's just me but it saves improperly the sounds I add to the bank and the effects. For example if the reverb knob is halfway, I turn the amp off, I turn it on(the reverb knob is still halfway), the amp takes the reverb like it's 0. I have to move the knob just a lil bit so the amp will recognize the reverb knob. That's only one example. That's why it is unreliable. Can't trust it on stage.
And I'll take the cube...it's got a tuner, an awesome acoustic simulator, power squeezer blablabla. Thanks guys for helping me make my choice

And about the youtube clip...yeah the vox has got 22 amp models, each one with 3 options. That's 66 amp models. Pretty good

i think u are in the preset mode or one of the saved channels. The channels are saved with no reverb. So when u turn the amp off and turn it back on, the reverb will be at 0 cuz it was saved at 0. If u want the reverb to stay at halfway, u have to save it. Hope thats not confusing haha
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
i think u are in the preset mode or one of the saved channels. The channels are saved with no reverb. So when u turn the amp off and turn it back on, the reverb will be at 0 cuz it was saved at 0. If u want the reverb to stay at halfway, u have to save it. Hope thats not confusing haha

Yeah, you're right. Sucks to be on stage and wake up with no reverb for example, when you know it's halfway. And the effects have so many setups...like 3 for each one. You'll get mad trying to set it up. I did
The Roland is what I want. Pretty simple stuff, simple effect setup, on-board tuner. Can't wait to get it
Last edited by DethDroogie at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by DethDroogie
I said a practice amp dude.

Quote by DethDroogie
Can't trust it on stage.

Why can't I reconcile these two statements?
None of them are going to give a stage quality tone or anything like gigging volume. I'd keep the Vox and save for something of better sound quality.
If you really have the new amp itch (no disrespect, we all get it) then the Cube is built like a tank.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
None of them are going to give a stage quality tone or anything like gigging volume. I'd keep the Vox and save for something of better sound quality.
If you really have the new amp itch (no disrespect, we all get it) then the Cube is built like a tank.

Well I'm like intermediate level but my teacher, sometimes takes me with him to sing live
So that's why I need to rely on it
Take the Cube by far.
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by Lurcher

Exactly what I was thinking. Why get a practice amp to be used for gigging.

TS: In terms of tone, neither of the amps you mentioned will sound any better than your Vox. You're better off keeping it and using it for a practice amp and spending your money to get you something giggable so you don't have to use a practice amp in gig situations.
Dudes I just bought the Roland 30x and It's insane. It's miles away from that crappy VOX. And the mesa-rectifier just blows you away.
So stop talking shit about VOX being better than roland cuz it ain't that way. The vox only has more features. But the roland has an incorporated tuner which is so helpful...
Quote by DethDroogie
So all I can say is that you are a bunch of useless assholes, unable to give right advices

And you're a whiny little twerp.

The Roland doesn't sound significantly better than the Vox, you've just decided it does because that's what you wanted to happen.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by DethDroogie
So all I can say is that you are a bunch of useless assholes, unable to give right advices

Better close this thread then, since it's useless.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...