Hello, I'm getting some new strings for my guitar and currently I have beefy slinkies (11-54) but they are to thick to be played in standard but good for Drop C, Is their a good mid-gauge string that feels good in both Drop C and tuned up to standard? Woul 11-48's work for this?
i use 10s
11s work too
i even used 10s for Drop b
:P
Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09
No, just disregard all the posts in this thread that say that the tone is noticeably worse when it's dying...

i should have read the thread
I just got a new Alexi 200 and i'm using the stock 10-46's in drop C right now, they are pretty easy to use, almost to the point where i dislike them, but i do use 10-52 in E on my other guitar so i like some fight in it, i'm probobly going to get a 10-56 going on this sucker soon
i dont know i have a feeling its all preference
but i really dont think it was THAT loose
i use drop c now with 10s
it feels normal for me
but swithcing from standard and drop c definatley feels weird, if you play in drop c too long and then play standard, it feels like standard is harder to play, thats the only thing i have noticed
Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09
No, just disregard all the posts in this thread that say that the tone is noticeably worse when it's dying...

i should have read the thread
I'll get some 10's and put'em on and see how they work in drop C, Problem with me is I play either Death Metal/Metalcore or Beatles type stuff so I need two different tunings.
Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms are my gauge of choice for lower tunings (10-52)
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I agree with saying they feel different, thats why i keep my guitars with thick strings, if i got the 10-52 on my E i should technically be putting 13-56 on my D standard, drop C guitar but i just i'll figure that out when the time is right, maybe a 11-56, i don't know
I've used 10s for drop C and it's usable if you need to, but if you plan on tuning that low often I'd go for heavier strings.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
10-52 is a great idea. When I drop tune, that's what I use.

In standard, though, on my LP, I'm strung up with 11-49.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Just standard .10's are more than perfect for Drop C, drop C is nothing, I used to down tune to A# with no fret buzz using standard .10's, You just have to play differently, you can't strike or hold the stings down hard. But I would just get a standard set of .11's, which is what I'm using now for Drop A# and Standard.
Get skinny top heavy bottoms
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by bagpipemetal
Hello, I'm getting some new strings for my guitar and currently I have beefy slinkies (11-54) but they are to thick to be played in standard but good for Drop C, Is their a good mid-gauge string that feels good in both Drop C and tuned up to standard? Woul 11-48's work for this?

It's all opinion, really. I wouldn't go any lower than a hybrid .15 gauge set or something like that. And I have no idea what other gauges you'd use if you had a High E that thick.

But you seem to want something lighter.

11-54s would probably be your best bet. Heavy bottoms. Or go for a 12-56 set or something like that.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by Gargoyle2500
It's all opinion, really. I wouldn't go any lower than a hybrid .15 gauge set or something like that. And I have no idea what other gauges you'd use if you had a High E that thick.

But you seem to want something lighter.

11-54s would probably be your best bet. Heavy bottoms. Or go for a 12-56 set or something like that.

If I was playing exclusively In Drop C/Drop B than I'd stick with 11-54's but I need something that's not to tight for standard and I find that the 11-54 is too thick for standard so I'm looking for something that would be comfortable in both drop c and E standard.
Quote by bagpipemetal
11-48's right?

Yep, or EB heavy top slinky bottoms, because 10's just go too floppy on my guitar.
EDIT: my general rule is, if you're staying D or below use 11's.
Last edited by joeymaxx at Dec 27, 2009,
I use D'Addario 10-52s on my Ibanez in Drop C.

I have 13-56 Ernie Balls on my LTD, and theyre nice and tight in Drop C, but I cant stand the 24 gauge F string, it feels like fretting a solid gauge electrical wire.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I use GHS Boomer 11s for my guitars, i think those are better than the more expensive 11s that came on my Omen 6