Page 1 of 2
i'm wondering what kind of electric guitar strings are best that should do the following very well:

*Stay in tune

*Stay in tune

*Stay in tune

* AND TO STAY IN TUNE

did i mention to stay in tune? and in tune i mean for at least 24 hours
Ibanez IJX121
Most non-shitty strings will stay in tune. Ernie Ball, D'addario, pretty much anything on the wall at GC above $4. But tuning stability relies more on hardware than the strings, unless the strings are old.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
i personally like the D-Addario 9-46. Out of all strings i have tried, the corrode the least. Ernie Balls suck corrosion wise.

And to stay in tune, depends on a lot more than just the strings themselves. temperature changes and how much u whammy and bend changes. i would just recommend trying a new brand every time you have to change

otherwise, im not that much help
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
if you have a floyd rose ... then your going to have to conjure some Voodoo magic to keep that damn thing in Tune .... lol

EDIT: oh and i use Ernie ball Heavy bottoms slinky tops or something like that ... may be reversed lol
Originally posted by adVENTURA
if your in a punk band just do like Lars and Tim in rancid and scream like you got marbles in your mouth.

Check out my Music Here
Last edited by Dezerado at Dec 26, 2009,
I used to use D'addario, but now I'm really starting to like Ernie Ball slinkies.
I use D'addarios and they have been great over the years but so were Rotosounds.If you are getting tuning problems look to your machine heads.

Also when fitting new strings take the,"Stretch" out of them.Pull them upwards away from the fret board as if you were pulling a Bow string several times gently and keep re-tuning until they don't go flat when pulled away.
Machine heads can be lubricated with Graphite(Pencil lead<misnomer>.

HTH
I prefer D'Addario XL Nickle wound. They are a little bright but I never seem to have issues with them. Since I have been using them I have never broken a string and I do some crazy ass bends. I tried a lot of the gimmicky strings and have used a lot of different brands over the years and the D'Addario's IMO are the best.

As far as staying in tune it's all going to depend on other issues not just the strings.

I really stretch my strings when I restring they still go out of tune easily until they get broken in. I always used to restring my guitars I used on gigs the day before I would stretch them and then over tighten them a few steps high and detune them down before I set up for the gig that seemed to work well for me and they would stay in tune thru most of the gig. Your tuners could be the problem how many wraps do you do when stringing and like some one stated if it has a Floyd that can be another ball of wax you need to deal with. You might want to also put a little graphite on the nut in the string slots that will keep it from catching. Other things that can make your guitar go out of tune are changes in temperature. When strings are warm they will tighten when they get cold they will loosen so that can put your guitar out of tune. The old heat expands cold contracts deal. I had a friend who used to warm his strings before he put them on his guitar! He swore buy it. I never tried it myself.

John
Anyone trashes EB they will have to talk to me! EB's FTW IMO
Set-Up
Squire Special Stratocaster
Bullet 150 AMP

*1st Guitar Set-Ups FTW*
^You should give the user that just posted some useful advice.
Quote by ComicStix
Anyone trashes EB they will have to talk to me! EB's FTW IMO

D'Addario > Ernie balls

Ontopic:

As most people have said it depends on hardware and your playing, any major brand should be fine.
Guitar - Music Man John Petrucci X

Amp - Ronald cube 60, willing be getting a Mark V soon
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Dean Markley Blue Steel.

good strings. used them for several years. i use only d' addario strings now. i have some dunlops on my dot which arent bad at all. nice tone to them and they where like 4 bucks i think. d'addario are top notch though. cant go wrong with those.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I have to admit I do not care for EB strings I got a set of regular slinkys for my Schecter 7 string because that is all they had at the time and they failed miserably. I actually got a couple sets and they are in my parts box. I doubt I'll ever use them but I am sure I'll get a 7 string to work on I'll toss them on for free.

I am sure everyone has their favorites for one reason or another it just the way things are.

John
I have a set of 7's on my Hamer right now. Didnt even know Ernie Ball made 7's but my GC had them so figured I would try them. They are great as long as you dont want to tune lower than Eb
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
I just use .010 GHS Boomers...
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
DR. Their quality control is a bit lame though, so you'll find yourself having to re-intonate every time you change them, but they last longer than any other brand and imo sound better.
Quote by Lagunaguitar
i personally like the D-Addario 9-46. Out of all strings i have tried, the corrode the least. Ernie Balls suck corrosion wise.

And to stay in tune, depends on a lot more than just the strings themselves. temperature changes and how much u whammy and bend changes. i would just recommend trying a new brand every time you have to change

otherwise, im not that much help

Not of much help? I'd say you are. D'addario makes fantastic strings and they have more than one variety. And you can get all sorts of gauges. And you also mentioned that ther'es more to staying in tune than just the strings. Anyway, OP here's my contribution.

D'addario .10-.46s or heavier. When putting the strings on, Don't overlap the string over itself but have a lot of winds on it (2 or 3 for the Low E depending on thickness, 6 or 7 on the High E and whatever is in between for the others) And make sure it's tight when you're wrapping it around the post, Before you're remotely in pitch. And you'll want to have the nut looked at when you're getting new strings, You can't put a .13 in a slot made for .10s nor can you put a .48 in a slot really made for .46s. So yeah, You should:

Get good strings
Get the nut worked on
Play!!!
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
For run of the mill strings, I like Daddario. Higher end, I also like Elixer Nanoweb 10s really well. My sweat is pretty corrosive, and after about an hour of playing any regular string brand, they have crusty black crap all over the unwound strings and they sound dull. With the Elixers, I can go weeks without noticing any change. So it actually saves me money to use $11 strings. Go figure.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Dezerado
if you have a floyd rose ... then your going to have to conjure some Voodoo magic to keep that damn thing in Tune .... lol

EDIT: oh and i use Ernie ball Heavy bottoms slinky tops or something like that ... may be reversed lol

I challenge you to get my Original Floyd Rose out of tune.

I vote for D'Addarios.
BC Rich NJ Deluxe Warbeast
Fender Super Champ XD
With strings......

Good strings will mostly stay in tune if your guitar hardware is up to standard, however going out of tune 80% of the time is the guitar not strings.

Recommending strings is completely pointless, as with strings it is actually the chemical balance in your body a lot of the time that determines which strings are best for you and before i get flamed i will explain.

We can take the D'addario and Ernie Ball debate, a friend of mine who has been playing longer than i have, absolutely hates ernie balls and swears by D'addario, the reason? He says Ernie balls go rusty on him after a few months of playing. I however have had Ernie Ball 10-52s on my Ibanez S series for over 6 months and they still stay in tune for months at a time whilst i abuse my trem..... and of course no signs of rust.

This is all because of the composition of your sweat (No Joke) I do not know the exact science behind it but some strings corrode and are generally unsuitable for some whilst are great for others due to the chemical balance in the body.

So essentially, you just have to try a load of em out
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by DeadlyDevil1985

This, but still as many have said, hardware is where it matters.
E-Father to itorch, Andrea55, guitarxo and BlessedRebel15
E-Grandpa to Basti95, davrockist, KitKat555, Mark Roxx, Renegade_Lobo
E-Bro to slash_GNR666
I blog...

Quote by Andrea55

Quote by Talentless
With strings......

Good strings will mostly stay in tune if your guitar hardware is up to standard, however going out of tune 80% of the time is the guitar not strings.

Recommending strings is completely pointless, as with strings it is actually the chemical balance in your body a lot of the time that determines which strings are best for you and before i get flamed i will explain.

We can take the D'addario and Ernie Ball debate, a friend of mine who has been playing longer than i have, absolutely hates ernie balls and swears by D'addario, the reason? He says Ernie balls go rusty on him after a few months of playing. I however have had Ernie Ball 10-52s on my Ibanez S series for over 6 months and they still stay in tune for months at a time whilst i abuse my trem..... and of course no signs of rust.

This is all because of the composition of your sweat (No Joke) I do not know the exact science behind it but some strings corrode and are generally unsuitable for some whilst are great for others due to the chemical balance in the body.

+1. I've used D'Addario for years, but since last year I've been using Ernie Ball and I like them even better. They're not as bright sounding, they're more elastic, the feel is "softer" IMO, and they last me just as long without rusting.
I always try a set of a different brand from time to time (I've got a set of Rotosound waiting here), and I keep with what I like the best, and for the moment that's EB for me.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
really it depends on what you're used to, strings-wise. there's no "best set". just find a brand and gauge that works for you and stick with them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by DeadlyDevil1985

hey, I use them too. mine guitar stays in tune for like one week but I think that has something to do with my guitar rather than with the strings....I guess
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by PunkGuitaristx
i'm wondering what kind of electric guitar strings are best that should do the following very well:

*Stay in tune

*Stay in tune

*Stay in tune

* AND TO STAY IN TUNE

did i mention to stay in tune? and in tune i mean for at least 24 hours

you need to look at your setup and stringing technique.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The guy ranting about the chemical composition of sweat is right. I tried D'arddios and they went rusty after about 2 months, and all the while making some horrible rustic smell, but my friend can use them forever. Its also why guitars age differently depending on what the finish is and who uses them (Take a look at Eric Clapton's old guitars)
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by jj1565
you need to look at your setup and stringing technique.

Ah yes that too actually and the best stringing technique has to be....

http://www.simonlees.co.uk/restring.htm

This is the reason my guitars, no matter what stay in tune for stupid amounts of time, my fender strat has a slipstone nut which helps too, but i can play for 2 hours of intensive rehearsal at a time with either my ibby or my strat and they stay in tune thanks to that link there
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I don't want to go to far off track here but do any of you wipe down your strings after you play? I always do and I use some stuff called fret ease that seems to help keep my strings fresh as well as easier on my fingers. Some of my guitars never seem to go too far out of tune. The funniest thing is my old Hondo Sting, the least expensive guitar I own if is a headless guitar with a tunable bridge that never goes out of tune no matter how long it sits.

John
For me string life is the most important thing. Elixirs has the best life but they are also more expensive.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I like Dean Markley blue steel strings, nice tight tone and a good lifetime.

tuning problems are rarely the fault of the string though.
I don't know about anyone else, but the brand of strings has never really mattered to me. I've tried Ernie Ball, D'Addario, and Elixirs. I will admit the Elixirs were a tad better. But between Ernie Ball and D'addario, I can't really tell much of a difference. I kind of swap brands everytime I need a string change.
Storing your guitar when not in use has a lot to do with staying in tune. The lighter the strings, the more susseptible they are to temperature - including fingers warming them flat. I don't particularly care for the Floyd Rose vibrato, but when adjusted properly it does a fine job.
TS, check your tuners. A good test I've found is the "wobble test". Basically, you take a tuner off, and try to wobble the post around. If it doesn't wobble it's not the tuners, if it does then you need some new ones.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Love my Earnie Ball 10-52's.

Compared them to some handmade DR's and the DR's just wouldnt stay in tune.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I have found my perfect strings with the Elixir coated strings. I usually only tune my guitar when I've carried it around and the bag has turned a bit on the tuners, otherwise it's in tune whenever I pick it up and start playing. I have a fixed bridge though, so I don't know how they are on trems.
And these strings just don't corrode at all. I've had the same set on this guitar since August and it's still fresh. I used to have EBs earlier, but they had corroded after two days and would start to cut the fingers of my left hand.
Personally I like EB's but I do find they rust a bit faster than D'addarios. I have not tried GHS but I may do so next. I don't mind really because I change my strings quite often, probably once a month or so (about 30 - 50 hours of playing roughly).
Quote by Talentless
With strings......

This. I used to use Ernie Balls, but then I decided to try several different brands to find out what was best for me. I was quite disappointed by D'Addarios. I quite liked Rotosounds. I discovered that I love GHS Boomers. So the Boomers are what I use; I find that they sound good, and they last forever for me. But, like Talentless said, it all depends on the person as to which string brands suits them best.
Page 1 of 2