Hey there UGC
I got a question; is it really worth practice all-downpicking for metal songs?
I'm thinking bands like Metallica and In flames and stuff. I know they play a lot of their stuff just downpicking the rhythm. Is it necessary to learn?
I play a lot of Paul Gilbert stuff, and through that I've developed my alternate picking quite a bit. I can easily play like the intro of Master of Puppets alternate picked up to speed. Should I still try to learn to play Metallicas songs all downpicked?
Downpicking has a particular sound, I'm pretty sure you can hear it if its pointed out. It's much more aggressive and brings about a level of intensity. Alternate picking doesn't sound the same.

If you want to change how the song sounds, by all means.. if you want to capture the intensity of a song thats downpicked. Than continue practicing it ?
I'm no guitar guru, and should a wiser person than I have something to impart correct me if I'm wrong about what I'm saying. Though you can definently hear down picked rhythm vs alternate picking.
sure, it's good to have a variety of well developed techniques to have at your disposal
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I started downpicking before I learnt alternate picking, but now I have become proficent at alt picking I have both techniques at my disposal. In short, yes it is worth learning.
It's an entirely different sound - alternate picking is cleaner and more refined sounding to me, but pure down picking is good for a choppy, aggressive sound. A lot of Metallica rhythms are primarily down picked (obviously, you can't normally do sixteenth-triplets with only down picking), so you really ought to learn to do it.
It's definitely true that straight up down picking is way harder, but I'd say it's more than worth it. You get a really nice aggressive sound out of it that alternate picking just can't accomplish. Just listen to how different a downstroke and an upstroke sound.

If you're going to have a really metal sound I would put mastering downpicking at the top of your list.
Not ALL metallica songs but yeh Master Of Puppets you really got to play it downpicking to get the right tone, you may not notice it but there is a slight difference between alternate and downpicking on the intro and verse. If your good enough you can downpick the solo if you like. . But yeh definatly worth practising to make you an all round better player.
Quote by loz4
Not ALL metallica songs

Actually, pretty much all of the Metallica stuff from Kill 'Em All through Metallica is down-picked, rhythm wise. There are some exceptions, but generally speaking, they downpick everything they can.
Quote by Geldin
Actually, pretty much all of the Metallica stuff from Kill 'Em All through Metallica is down-picked, rhythm wise. There are some exceptions, but generally speaking, they downpick everything they can.

True that. It just sounds absurdly, well, metal. Hetfield is one of the best rhythm metal guitarists out there.
Hetfield is one of the best rhythm metal guitarists out there

That man is a downpicking machine.
Last edited by Geldin at Dec 28, 2009,