For those of you have seen it, what did you think of it?

I loved it, thought everything about it was amazing.
My God, it's full of stars!
It is definitely one of the best films of the decade.

Are you ready for the American version that is currently in production?
Quote by Dreadnought

I loved it, thought everything about it was amazing.

+ MOTHERFUCKIN 1!
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
An American version? That sounds pretty dumb to do.

The original is an awesome film. I watched it with the girlfriend and we both enjoyed it immensely.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
When I saw it, I couldn't help but to compare it with the inferior Twilight. How is it possible that a film about kids can be more mature than one about teens?!?!
I thought some of the shots and scenery was gorgeous.

They showed it in one of the lecture theatres here at my uni, on one of the film nights. That one shot in the scene where Eli is getting changed, the whole lecture theatre went "WUT" (albeit some did so silently)

An american version? DO NOT WANT

I liked the ending too, but I can't believe it took me the whole film to work it out, I guess I was just mesmerised the whole way through.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
I thought some of the shots and scenery was gorgeous.

They showed it in one of the lecture theatres here at my uni, on one of the film nights. That one shot in the scene where Eli is getting changed, the whole lecture theatre went "WUT" (albeit some did so silently)

An american version? DO NOT WANT

I liked the ending too, but I can't believe it took me the whole film to work it out, I guess I was just mesmerised the whole way through.

What do you mean by figuring out the end?
Quote by Dreadnought
What do you mean by figuring out the end?

There is a theory going around that the Eli was just using Oscar. She pretended to be nice to him just so that he would run away and be her new guardian. Personally, I don't like this theory, but I can see why many see it this way.
Quote by sticksause
There is a theory going around that the Eli was just using Oscar. She pretended to be nice to him just so that he would run away and be her new guardian. Personally, I don't like this theory, but I can see why many see it this way.

This is how I interpreted it. That Oskar will end up like the old man.
Quote by Renka

Last edited by OddOneOut at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by sticksause

Oh. I didn't/don't interpret it that way. To me, it's a love story.
Quote by OddOneOut
This is how I interpreted it. That Oskar will end up like the old man.

exactly.

Oscar will eventually grow up and he will feel like he can't be friends with a "little girl". He will no longer feel as attached to her. Eli will then know that she will have to make him feel threatened in order to make him stay with her.
Quote by Dreadnought
Oh. I didn't/don't interpret it that way. To me, it's a love story.

I think that Eli and Oskar did fall in love, so to speak, and that it's love that will keep him with her until he dies. I also think the same thing happened to the man before him, that he used to be just like Oskar.

Quote by sticksause
exactly.

Oscar will eventually grow up and he will feel like he can't be friends with a "little girl". He will no longer feel as attached to her. Eli will then know that she will have to make him feel threatened in order to make him stay with her.

Hmm, see I disagree there. I should've read your post properly. After all, just before she kills her previous guardian, he looks at her as if he completely understands and that he still loves her.
Quote by Renka

Last edited by OddOneOut at Dec 26, 2009,
^^That's what I think as well. The point of having both characters at once is to show Oscar will one day turn out. Also, Eli teaches Oscar how to be more aggressive. It is a tragic story in disguise.
Last edited by sticksause at Dec 26, 2009,
thought it was very depressing actually, like the good kind. because even though puppy love is adorable to watch on screen, you kinda know that shes never gonna age and die, and unless she turns him into a vampire, they're not really meant to be.
otherwise its great, the american version will be inevitably inferior, just like every single american remake of a foreign film, with the noted exception of the departed. and to the guy comparing it to twilight - this movie makes twilight look like an episode of teletubbies.

does anyone know any movies that are kinda similar to this? something that fuses horror drama and romance?
It's simply one of the best movies I've ever seen. Glad to see some love for this quite unknown masterpiece here

I didn't think Eli was using Oskar. I think she wouldn't have come back for him if it was that way. And if you've read the book, the Eli-Oskar relationship is the complete opposite from that with Hakan: from the very beginnig she uses him as a slave, but she doesn't with Oskar (in fact, it's her who changes).

And about the American version... do not want either :P
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I seen that ages ago, downloaded it in september. Yeah, wasn't bad. Couldn't really get into the story, but the acting was great. Especially considering the age of the cast.
great movie...wish i could find a copy somewhere other than netflix

as far as eli and oskar...i feel like the difference between those two and eli and hakan are that eli actually has feelings for oskar, which is not the case with hakan. i like the theory that hakan used to be oskar years ago, but i thought of him as a pedophile that eli learned to manipulate. sort of a little sub-moral, if you will.
Ah, what a fantastic movie. This thread has inspired me to watch it today. Hooray for having it on blu-ray.

edit:

You all should read the book if you haven't already. It's great.