This thread doesn't really seem to go in Recordings and Riffs, so I put it in GG&A. Move it if it needs to be moved I guess...

So, I want to record some stuff, and I would like to know exactly what to get so that I can do this. However, I know so little about recording music that I really don't know what information to provide for you guys so you can tell me what I need. I guess what I'll be recording is mostly stuff with my band (2 guitar, 1 bass, 1 drumset), and a couple individual things. My amp, an Egnater Rebel, has an XLR out, so I don't think I need a microphone. The whole interface/mixer thing is confusing me though. I have about $200, not including microphones, to be able to record basic tracks onto a computer. Is this possible? I could probably spend some more money, but $200 is ideal. Could you guys suggest me a cheap recording solution that fits that criteria?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
M Audio Fast Track, an XLR cable, and some software. Audacity is free and very easy to use.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by ibz_bucket
This thread doesn't really seem to go in Recordings and Riffs, so I put it in GG&A. Move it if it needs to be moved I guess...

So, I want to record some stuff, and I would like to know exactly what to get so that I can do this. However, I know so little about recording music that I really don't know what information to provide for you guys so you can tell me what I need. I guess what I'll be recording is mostly stuff with my band (2 guitar, 1 bass, 1 drumset), and a couple individual things. My amp, an Egnater Rebel, has an XLR out, so I don't think I need a microphone. The whole interface/mixer thing is confusing me though. I have about $200, not including microphones, to be able to record basic tracks onto a computer. Is this possible? I could probably spend some more money, but $200 is ideal. Could you guys suggest me a cheap recording solution that fits that criteria?

The lineout for XLR on your amp will send out the preamp signal. Its a good thing or bad thing depending how you want to record.

IMO i've always liked live recordings from micing.

edit: As far as recording, the best free software i've come across has been Reaper. It does the winrar thing where it gives you a free trial, and just ask you to renew but doent back it up.So its basically free. Tons better than Audacity

With 200 bucks you can buy a M-Audio fast track and a decent mic to record(Standard is Shure SM58)
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Dec 26, 2009,
That looks pretty good, but wouldn't it be hard to record a whole band with the M Audio thing? Could we record a whole song with that thing in one take, or would we need to record it separately and synchronize the tracks? Also, would this thing work: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-1204?sku=631269 ?
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
That looks pretty good, but wouldn't it be hard to record a whole band with that? Could we record a whole song with that thing in one take, or would we need to record it separately and synchronize the tracks? Also, would this thing work: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-1204?sku=631269 ?

You'd have to record one scratch track where you play all together. Then record part by part to match it up. The multi instrument-interfaces cost a little bit more money,
Quote by ibz_bucket
That looks pretty good, but wouldn't it be hard to record a whole band with the M Audio thing? Could we record a whole song with that thing in one take, or would we need to record it separately and synchronize the tracks? Also, would this thing work: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-1204?sku=631269 ?

sorry to double post

Behringer actually makes really nice pro-audio stuff. Still USB audio interface makes it easier to record imo
I record by using:

Mics
A mixer's "record out" plugs
Audacity/Sony Sound Forge

Nothing wrong with it. I don't see the appeal of a USB interface. There probably is one, but I prefer it ^ that way.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by mexican_shred
You'd have to record one scratch track where you play all together. Then record part by part to match it up. The multi instrument-interfaces cost a little bit more money,

Sorry to be a complete n00b when it comes to recording, but what do you mean by a scratch track? How would we record everyone playing together?

And you think that the interface is definitely the way to go then? The behringer is more difficult to use/ yields lower quality results? BTW, the mixer that I posted the link to says that it also comes with a USB interface. I don't know how good it is though.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Last edited by ibz_bucket at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by Juadafi
I record by using:

Mics

Nothing wrong with it. I don't see the appeal of a USB interface. There probably is one, but I prefer it ^ that way.

Both have their advatages. My biggest beef with alot o usb things are latency issues. if i had a mixer and better sound card i would do it ^that way.
Quote by ibz_bucket
Sorry to be a complete n00b when it comes to recording, but what do you mean by a scratch track? How would we record everyone playing together?

And you think that the interface is definitely the way to go then? The behringer is more difficult to use/ yields lower quality results? BTW, the mixer that I posted the link to says that it also comes with a USB interface. I don't know how good it is though.

Scratch track is just a rough track you use when you all play together in one recording to get the synchronization for the individual tracks. you take it off after you finish. You just record a very rough track.

Not necessarily. And the Berringer would not yield lower results
I'd go with the scratch track way. If you want good recordings, you need to buy/borrow/steal a mixer with at least 7 inputs on it for drums.

There was a really good way of micing a kit with only 4 or 5 inputs, I'll have to look it up for you.

edit:

here ya go

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/dec97/drumiking1.html
Last edited by Juadafi at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by Juadafi
I record by using:

Mics

yeah i bet that sounds great

OP.

go check out riffs and recordings and maybe read some stickies, we cover this shit every day in there. -_-
Quote by CatharsisStudio
yeah i bet that sounds great

Sarcasm?
Quote by CatharsisStudio
try the 57. because you don't use 58s in the studio

Sorry slip of thought.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
its all good haha <3 sorry to be a dick

Hey you're trying to help the TS too, no harm done there.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
and possibly start shit, ...jk

i wish people would asking recording questions in RnR

Sorry, I just thought that RnR was more of a "check out this recording I made" or "how should I go about micing up this thing" sort of forum, rather than something for n00bs like me. Should I make a thread there?
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fast Track

Use with Reaper, not Audacity. Unlimited free trial, and way better then Audacity.
To all of you recommending interfaces:

I don't see why an interface is better than a mixer with a preamp or whatever. The mixer has more channels, right? So wouldn't something like this make more sense to use than something like this ? Unless the first one has poor sound quality or something...
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
because you have nothing to plug your mixer into....mixer > soundcard = degraded quality

you use interfaces to get the mixer into your comp. but at entry level just get the interface you only need a interface when you get shit like apoggee and lynx and protools digi 192 (all of these cost over 2g)