hello. i recently was given a korean les paul standard from my dad for christmas. the guitar is beautiful and it sounds amazing (just needs new pickups) but i found one problem with it: even though the guitar is in tune it seems like the higher frets dont match up with the lower frets..i discoverd it while playing the intro solo to one by metallica. the rake part has to be played one fret higher than it should to sound right ive never heard anything like this and i can not find anything on google. any help would be appreciated. thanks
It's called intonation. Look up how to set the intonation.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
i looked it up. is this something that can be easily done from home or should i call over my guitar tech buddy to help me do it?
yeah i think so. i got it for christmas and my dad said thats what the guy he got it from told him.
Are you sure it's in tune? Some inexpensive tuners can be off.

Other than that I would say Intonation problems but not seeing the guitar in person and trying it I can only guess.
If the saddles are really off it's possible it can be off that much but it's rare. Check the bridge I have seen some no name brands with the Tune O Matic on backwards Hell I have seen it on brand new Gibsons as well. I would have someone who knows what they are doing check it out and set it up. Also check the fret spacing I found a lot of less expensive guitars can have the frets all over the place and some crooked. A lot of these off brands/knockoffs can be amazing with a good set up and a new set of pups.

If you can take some pics of the bridge and post them.

John
im sorry, are you saying that the open string is in tune,

but is it in tune when it's fret at the 12th?

if not then click the green link in my sig.

it's a simple adjustment.

if it's off a lot, then make sure the strings are fresh, and make sure that, that fret isnt crooked making that one area off.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
dad said the guy he bought it from had just put a brand new wrap around bridge on it. i compared the neck to my schecter damin FR and the frets look the same so i dont think the frets are crooked or anything like that. but i took some pics of the bridge and the neck so give me a second and ill upload them
in open tuning it sounds perfect but the 12th fret octave has to be bent up almost whole step to match the open tuning. i dont have a tuner in reality. i tuned by ear for 7 years so i cnat really check with a tuner but it is in tune because it matches to all 3 of my other guitars in open tuning
Quote by assasin1340
in open tuning it sounds perfect but the 12th fret octave has to be bent up almost whole step to match the open tuning. i dont have a tuner in reality. i tuned by ear for 7 years so i cnat really check with a tuner but it is in tune because it matches to all 3 of my other guitars in open tuning

Quote by assasin1340
i looked it up. is this something that can be easily done from home or should i call over my guitar tech buddy to help me do it?

You've been playing for seven years and you still don't know how to set intonation? Sorry, I didn't feel like learning how my instrument worked at first either but you really should learn about basic setup.

Back to questions though.

What gauge of strings do you have on this guitar? Also, A bit of info... If you can't intonate it then you'll have to get the guitar worked on. You may only need a repalcement bridge (That's been modified for this sort of thing) Or you may need the bridge stud holes relocated. This requires drilling, filling, drilling and some refinishing if you want it to look right.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Perhaps the tab was wrong.....

No I'm sorry , it was the first thing I thought of, but seeing that its not your first guitar and you have played 7 years, you probably were not using tabs. However I'm a look at the simple stuff cause if its intonation is out of wack I cant help you... Are the dots in the right places?
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Go here;
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/intonate.htm

Back when i was figuring out how to setup my guitars, i had one that absolutely would not tune correctly, no matter what i tried. After 1 1/2 hours, i changed strings. That cured it.
Mind that these strings had only been played 3 times, and guitar sat for 8 months.

Most important ..... New Strings.
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
Last edited by kenshi1967 at Dec 27, 2009,
Sorry, fixed it. Was really tired last night. lol

Has been a while.

Here is a good link for this;
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
Last edited by kenshi1967 at Dec 27, 2009,
1. fresh strings,
2. buy a tuner, not sure what you're wait for on that one.
3. new bridge on there? did he put it on correctly?

if it's one specific fret area on one string, it'll be a fret height, string problem.
if it's one whole string along the board, it'll be the nut cut or saddle placement.

it wont be fret placement unless it's across only certain frets and fret height has been ruled out.

tbh, i read through the thread twice and still can't tell if you've adjusted the intonation yet.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i fixed it. i bought a set of new strings and put them on and it got closer to sounding right. it just needed a little adjusting after that . and yes i agre i need to learn more guitar tech skills i just havent had a lot of to devote to it. thanks for all the help