Hey guys,
I'm undertaking my first build. I'm buying either a second hand epi, jackson or tokai firebird. I plan on filling in the neck pup position, removing all the pots except for a single volume, sanding it and getting a friend to paint it.
Here's what I need to know:
1 - What fillers can I use to fill in the neck pup hole?
2 - When I've finished sanding, do I need to seal the wood or do anything to it before painting it?
3 - What types of paints can/can't I use? I'll probably be going for normal art acryllics.
4 - I can't seem to get hold of guitar polyeurathane, what alternatives can I use?
5 - How many coats of clear are necessary?
6 - What readily availible clear coat swirl removers can I use, and how difficult is it? (I wouldn't want to stuff up the art that I get painted on it).
7 - What is a good humbucker (probably SD) to use in the bridge, considering I'll be using it for rhythm and solo work, for clean and overdriven rock styles, in a mahogany body?

Even if you can only answer one, I'd very much appreciate it. thanks.
2009 Gibson Explorer - 2008 Washburn Idol WI45f - 1965 MiJ Ibanez Salvador Classical
Bogner Alchemist 40w 1x12" - Marshall MG10CD
Quote by southpaw91
Hey guys,
I'm undertaking my first build. I'm buying either a second hand epi, jackson or tokai firebird. I plan on filling in the neck pup position, removing all the pots except for a single volume, sanding it and getting a friend to paint it.
Here's what I need to know:
1 - What fillers can I use to fill in the neck pup hole?
Glue in a block of wood with some titebond, and if there's any small gaps you could fill it with wood filler or something
2 - When I've finished sanding, do I need to seal the wood or do anything to it before painting it?
Depends on the type of wood... if it has big and open pores you will need to seal it, and usually a grain filler as well... small pores, sanding sealer alone will be ok
3 - What types of paints can/can't I use? I'll probably be going for normal art acryllics.
Normal spray can acryllic lacquer would be fine
4 - I can't seem to get hold of guitar polyeurathane, what alternatives can I use?
Lacquer
5 - How many coats of clear are necessary?
Enough so you don't sand through when wetsanding... use too many instead of too few
6 - What readily availible clear coat swirl removers can I use, and how difficult is it? (I wouldn't want to stuff up the art that I get painted on it).
3M and Meguiers make good stuff
7 - What is a good humbucker (probably SD) to use in the bridge, considering I'll be using it for rhythm and solo work, for clean and overdriven rock styles, in a mahogany body?
I like the JB

Even if you can only answer one, I'd very much appreciate it. thanks.

See bold.... do some more research, a lot of those could have been answered with a bit of searching and googling
Impossible is Nothing