Playing my Takamine 340SC, I noticed on my A string (lower frets - around 4-7) there is some string buzz while fretting. Now, on my G and B String, frets 10-15 or so sound pretty dead (slight buzz as well).

Other then 'take it in for a setup', what would this be? Truss Rod or Saddle related, both or...
We can't just outright tell you without being able to really look through the guitar. You need to be able to check the necks bow (Truss rod). You measure the action. Check the height at the nut. Check the height of the saddle. Buzz comes from all sorts of different areas. It could even be just outright bad strings.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Yeah I figured as much. The bow is slightly upward which should be normal. I was thinking it could be a little too loose as it is only coming from low and high frets, but best test everything out before coming to conclusions.

Thanks.
I have a similar problem! With the High E string on the 10, 11, 12 and13th fret. my best guess is that when I press down the string, it touches the fret above it, as a result when it is plucked it buzzes and sounds dead.

the thing is that it has never been like this, the neck is not warped, action is good, so is the bridge and nut and it is not the strings as I changed them a few days ago and the same thing was happening with the old ones. my best guess is possibly a bad fret?
Last edited by MrPapi at Dec 27, 2009,
could be a humidity issue. do you know the humidity where your guitar is kept?
Quote by patticake
could be a humidity issue. do you know the humidity where your guitar is kept?

My thoughts exactly.

To check if it's a humidity issue, take a straight edge(a metal ruler or something straight like that) and place it on the top of your guitar. If there is a dip on either side of your bridge, it's a humidity issue.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
nope, no humidity issue. However, I think I need to point out that I did change strings gauge from .13 to .12 about 3-4 weeks ago, which as far as I remember is when this issue started.

I don't think that change could be responsible for it as it isn't that drastic, but still...there's a possibility.
As you have gone for lower gauge strings, your truss rod will be able to bend the neck back further, so flattening the curve of the neck (because of lower string tension).

This would likely be resolved by an 1/8th of a turn on the truss rod to tighten it.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I currently do not humidify any of my guitars but was going to start to humidify this one as I just got it. I never had this issue before and is isolated to just this acoustic (not my other) but I was thinking of that as well.

I am gonna make a 'do-it-yourself' humidifier for now and place it in the case (either the Tupperware container with a sponge or wet paper towel with between to plastic lids) and see how that works out for now.
changing gauge could be responsible - considering that the problem started when you did it, seems likely.

but out of curiosity, what is the humidity in the room you keep your guitar?

Quote by MrPapi
nope, no humidity issue. However, I think I need to point out that I did change strings gauge from .13 to .12 about 3-4 weeks ago, which as far as I remember is when this issue started.

I don't think that change could be responsible for it as it isn't that drastic, but still...there's a possibility.
I'm thinking the gauge my be my issue as well. I usually play with 12's and these strings do feel a bit heavier (13's possibly). I'm going to change to a set of 12's and see if that helps (along with a humidifier), if not I'll measure up the neck and see if it's the relief or something else.
don't use a humidifier before checking the humidity in the room. the problem i thought it might be was too much humidity, and a humidifier would make that worse. why not buy a hygrometer and find out what the humidity really is? knowing this can help to extend your guitar's life and keep it sounding good and in good condition!

Quote by ignite32
I'm thinking the gauge my be my issue as well. I usually play with 12's and these strings do feel a bit heavier (13's possibly). I'm going to change to a set of 12's and see if that helps (along with a humidifier), if not I'll measure up the neck and see if it's the relief or something else.
Quote by patticake
don't use a humidifier before checking the humidity in the room. the problem i thought it might be was too much humidity, and a humidifier would make that worse. why not buy a hygrometer and find out what the humidity really is? knowing this can help to extend your guitar's life and keep it sounding good and in good condition!

Interesting, I was always under the impression that it's good to keep a humidifier in the locked case regardless (or so I read). Learn a new thing every day!

The rattling and dead sound isn't much of an issue but since I noticed it, I keep 'keying' into it and it's driving me crazy!
don't know where you read that - guitars should be kept between 40 and 50% humidity. higher and it can cause dead sounding strings from water in the wood, bulging belly, bridge coming off, mildew inside the guitar and other problems. too dry can sharp fret edges, frets coming out, and wood cracking.

about too much humidity:
http://www.burchetteguitars.com/guitarcare.html
http://www.musiciansworkshop.com/humidity.html
http://www.maurysmusic.com/martin_guitar_humidity
http://www.gearwire.com/humidity-guitarcare.html

Quote by ignite32
Interesting, I was always under the impression that it's good to keep a humidifier in the locked case regardless (or so I read). Learn a new thing every day!

The rattling and dead sound isn't much of an issue but since I noticed it, I keep 'keying' into it and it's driving me crazy!
^ You could probably boost the % up to 60% as an absolute maximum. Different manufacturers suggest different ranges.

Generally, over humidification will make the guitar swell, making the action rise. Under humidification will make the guitar shrink, lowering the action.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I honestly think this guitar is just f'ed up.

after all, this is just a really cheap laminate one so it doesn't come as a surprise. I'd be surprised if it was a humidity issue since as far as I've been told laminates can withstand a hell of a lot. and the average 40-50% humidity wouldn't affect it that badly.

it's just really peculiar that the problem is on the high E string and I think it's starting to creep into the other strings) at the 10, 11, 12, 13th frets, right there the neck meets the body.

But ah well, you get what you pay for. fortunately I'll be buying a good seagull in a few days if all goes well.
Papi, could it be the saddle needs adjusting?

Back to my issue. I have checked to see if it were due to the nut but after capo'ing the first fret, the same issues exist. I added some relief to the neck (1/8 counter clockwise turn 2 nights in a row) but that didn't do anything either (literally, nothing at all).

Humidity in my room is 50-55%.

I am thinking of adding a bit of 'thickness' to the shim under the saddle and see if that's the issue. I already have a shim under the saddle but I guess I will add a double folded sheet of paper and see if that helps the buzzing. If so, time for a bigger shim.

If that isn't it, just thinking of bringing it in but good ol' Samash gives me a price range of $60-100+ depending on what needs to be done. $60 being just a truss rod adjustment.
You really shouldn't adjust the truss rod unless you checked if you needed it. You don't fix buzzing by changing the truss rod. The truss rod is for changing the bow in the neck.
I checked the bow [or the lack there of]. But as you said, that's why I went for a minimal adjustment to it since I wasn't 'positive' it was due to that.
Ok, that makes sense. You just don't outright tweak the truss rod to get rid of buzzing. Some people seem to be under that idea and it really sounded like it did it because of that.
Narrowed out the nut and saddle. Capo'ing the first fret does not remove the buzz. Adding a shim under the saddle does not remove the buzzing either.

Would the only thing left be slight neck warping or could it be actual fret issues?
Try someone else's guitar with a different neck radius. My playing suffers the same problem if im not playing a 16"radius neck any flatter & i get buzzes
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
Try someone else's guitar with a different neck radius. My playing suffers the same problem if im not playing a 16"radius neck any flatter & i get buzzes

Sorry took me so long to reply to this. I don't think it's my play style as it hasn't occured with the few guitars I have played lately.

I think I will end up brining it in for a setup as I just can't pinpoint what the issue is. It doesn't seem to be the nut, saddle and after doing a minor truss adjustment (losened it a bit more than 1/8) it didn't seem to affect this at all (the truss rod adjustment didn't even throw off the tuning in the slightest). The more I think about it, the truss rod is quite 'loose' which doesn't feel exactly right.

After playing last night, my G sounded completely dead around frets 10-13 (before fiddling with adjustments). I'm going to try a set of medium-lights on this guitar before bringing it in and see if that does anything if at all.
Last edited by ignite32 at Jan 28, 2010,