I just got a bass yesterday, and I was wondering how do you slap bass. I've looked it up on YouTube and such but I can't really see them well. I try doing what they say, but i end up hitting other strings also.
just practice it, it'll take time. it took me many months of half-assing to get the technique down
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
One thing i did wrong when I was learning was that I kept my slapping hand too close to the strings which made me hit other strings with my palm. ?Make sure you keep your slapping hand about an inch away from the strings. Also like TheTortured said just keep practicing and you'll get it. Hope I helped you out.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
There are some decent video instructional vids out there, (Stu Hamm's comes to mind), but really its a matter of practice and trial and error for the most part. Take it slow and keep your hand loose. Think of your hand as a drum stick and concentrate on the percussive rather than the tonal at first.

I found that slapping on a hand drum and then moving to the bass helped tremendously.
when you keep your palm away from the strings, what kind of angle do u have your hand at?
Quote by Xaldin714
when you keep your palm away from the strings, what kind of angle do u have your hand at?

Well I just keep my hand parallel to the string (very important) and like I said about an inch up from the strings. Then I just hit the string with the joint at the middle of the thumb. I'm not to sure about the angle, I just really do it I don't think about it sorry.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

Quote by Xaldin714
well u answered it when u said u keep your hand parallel

Well them I'm glad I could help

when I slap I keep my fingers perpendicular to the strings. I keep my middle ring and pinky fingers outstretched and use them as a kid of anchor to keep my palm off the strings. I keep my index finger hooked for popping. my thumb is outstretched and runs parellel to the strings and I strike the string with them bony joint of my thumb.

Edit: I would like to point out that I have never been able to do anything close to wootens style of double thumb slapping, and it would appear to be impossible with my technique. It could be a different style or I might be doing it wrong, but it works perfectly for what I do.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Dec 27, 2009,
wow I'm sorry I just realized I worded it wrong when I said keep your hand parallel. I meant to say keep your thumb parallel to the strings. What the pedestrian said is right about where you keep your and and fingers. Sorry about that.