hey everyone!

so yeah, the title says most of it. I warmed up the amp for 5 minutes, plugged in my metal zone and played of 15 minutes then poof no sound. The amp's light is on and the tubes are on but no sound is coming out. I checked the power and preamp tubes, the speaker and the fuse and they seemed fine. Upon closer inspection, the amp was making sound but it was hardly audible (and only when I had my metal zone on). What happened here? Did i fry my amp?
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
Mine used to do that if it was plugged in to an extension cable with other things plugged in.
But it shouldn't do it. If the problem keeps up take it to a tech.

Probably the amp complaining about the MT-2 plugged into it
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

whoops, I should have been a bit more inclusive with the info. The amp is a Peavey Valveking 112 50 watt tube. The metal-zones been connected to it dozens of times without issues. The amp was right in wall jack with no extension cables and the pedal was powered via adapter. the 2 6L6GC power amp tubes seemed fine and show no unusual coloration or cracks.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So the tubes glow orange normally?
Can you try another guitar?
Take the pedal out of mix altogether.
Try both channels.
Double check all volume controls.
Bad insert jacks?

neither jack is operating correctly so i doubt its a jack issue.
Neither channel works.
No sound with the metal zone removed.
Different guitar yields the same results.

crap
Quote by Twist of fate

Retube, refuse and get back to us. Also: http://tinyurl.com/ydka7ov
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Either you blew a tube, or you fried a resistor or capacitor, most likely a capacitor, or the output transformer. Could be alot of things actually. Have a tech look at it. You prolly killed it using that Metal Zone pedal.

what should i be looking for when i see a fried resistor or capacitor? A burnt/blackened little barrel shaped thing?

Hmm, would the metal zone really do that to my amp?

What can I do to test the output transformer's function?

Thanks for the tips thus far!
Quote by Twist of fate

The MT-2 didn't hurt your amp, they just don't think it's a good pedal.

My first instinct is that it's a tube problem, but those don't normally just "blow." In the case of a dying power amp tube, you generally hear your tone deteriorate and experience a volume drop, but not to barely audible, in my experience. When preamp tubes are dying, they generally get microphonic.

But, I think the best first step may be a retube. If it's nothing more serious than that, then it would be silly to go replacing things like transformers.

Also, and this is important, don't go poking around in your amp uninformed. Some of the capacitors in your amp can have deadly voltages, even when the amp is off.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Don't go messing around inside the amp chassis. Take it to a tech.

Have you checked to see if there are any shorts in your cables?

If you are using any of the 'free mods' mentioned in the VK thread, take them out and see if you get any sound.
Sometimes the patch cables in the effects loop go bad and do things like this.

Are you using guitars with active pickups? The odds are low, but both batteries may be dead or dying.

How long have you had your current set of tubes (power and preamp)? It may be time for a retube.

*VK wiki in my sig for future reference*
Took out all free mods, tested with different cables and my guitars all have passive pickups. My amp is not with me atm, I think once I get it back from the rehearsal room, I'll try it into different outlets, maybe i blew his wall out, who knows. I got the amp in August. It was the floor model at GC so I have no idea how long the tubes have been in there.

Heh, I've already been shocked by the VK before. I was trying to fix my input jack ( the mom incident for those who saw my previous threads) and it gave me quite the jolt. Anyway I can ground myself to ensure that I can't be shocked? I wont be touching anything just yet, want to look around for burnt parts. Nothing to worry about yet. I doubt that just opening it would shock me.

Anywho, I guess a retubing is in order. From what I gather I have Ruby 6L6GC MSTR power tubes. I'll try replacing those before moving onto preamp tubes. These tubes are alright, but I'm sure there are better. I'll be reading through the VK thread, but does anyone know what tubes would work better with the MT2 and let me get a sound at least remotely close to that of a Mark IIC+ (my dream amp)?
Quote by Twist of fate

normally when you blow a tube you take the fuse with it, tubes CAN fail at any time, i had it happend to me 3 weeks ago (in the middle of a guitar lesson i was giving).

did you hear a loud "pop"....1st sign of a tube going

theres 3 fuses in the amp, check the 3.15A one that`s on the back of the amp near the power cable, don`t replace the fuse without checking the tubes aswell, as powering up a amp with a failed tube can damage the amp further.

when replacing the fuse you want 20mm 3.15A/250v fast blow.

i reccomend putting jj 6l6gc in the valveking power section, get a matched pair or matched quad for best results.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by zeemonkey
Anyway I can ground myself to ensure that I can't be shocked? I wont be touching anything just yet, want to look around for burnt parts. Nothing to worry about yet. I doubt that just opening it would shock me.

No, you absolutely cannot ground yourself so you won't get shocked. Those little ground wristbands are for working with sensitive electronics so you don't damage any ICs with static, they won't do anything to protect you. Grounding yourself to the floor will ensure that if you do get a jolt from your amp, it will pass straight through your heart and kill you outright.

This is dangerous stuff, and yes, you can open your amp and look if you don't touch anything, but don't be under the impression that being grounded is being safe. It's not.
you shouldn`t be working on amps that are live anyway and leave a couple of hours after switching off before opening up.....(the caps on the transformers can give you a nasty jolt)

as said you absolutley do not wanna be grounded......think about peeps who get hit by lightining when on a golf course etc.....
Quote by ibanezgod1973
normally when you blow a tube you take the fuse with it, tubes CAN fail at any time, i had it happend to me 3 weeks ago (in the middle of a guitar lesson i was giving).

did you hear a loud "pop"....1st sign of a tube going

theres 3 fuses in the amp, check the 3.15A one that`s on the back of the amp near the power cable, don`t replace the fuse without checking the tubes aswell, as powering up a amp with a failed tube can damage the amp further.

when replacing the fuse you want 20mm 3.15A/250v fast blow.

i reccomend putting jj 6l6gc in the valveking power section, get a matched pair or matched quad for best results.

a loud pop would ensure that I would be freaking out. Luckily there was no POP just a sudden silence in the middle of a breakdown. I saw the fuse in the back by the power supply and it didnt seem burnt and the filament was intact. where are the other fuses?
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by Roc8995
No, you absolutely cannot ground yourself so you won't get shocked. Those little ground wristbands are for working with sensitive electronics so you don't damage any ICs with static, they won't do anything to protect you. Grounding yourself to the floor will ensure that if you do get a jolt from your amp, it will pass straight through your heart and kill you outright.

This is dangerous stuff, and yes, you can open your amp and look if you don't touch anything, but don't be under the impression that being grounded is being safe. It's not.

Understood. I will be very cautious and make sure I'm not grounded. I'll let the amp sit for another day before doing anything. Thanks for the help guys!
Quote by Twist of fate