what is the difference between both ebony and rosewood.. obviously the feel and stuff... but i wanna know.. will you notice a huge change if yeh go from rosewood to ebony??? what does ebony feel like and is it good for shredding/heavy riffs.... on a schecter blackjack atx i'm looking at
Gibson Flying V's is a good guitar to judge this from. Some of the early 2000 models had an Ebony fretboard while the current models have a rosewood. Other than that the guitar hasn't changed significantly. I think Ebony boards gives more of a bite to the guitar sound, especially with palm muting. It's not much but it's enough to notice when comparing the two.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Gibson Flying V's is a good guitar to judge this from. Some of the early 2000 models had an Ebony fretboard while the current models have a rosewood. Other than that the guitar hasn't changed significantly. I think Ebony boards gives more of a bite to the guitar sound, especially with palm muting. It's not much but it's enough to notice when comparing the two.

Actually, even today all Gibson Explorers, Vs, and Les Paul Studios have rosewood boards except the white ones, which have ebony for aesthetics. That means that if you want to know the difference, compare a white Explorer to a black one.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Rosewood:

The most common fretboard, Rosewood is naturally oily, and works well for any surface that sees frequent human contact. The sound is richer in fundamental than Maple because the stray overtones are absorbed into the oily pores

Ebony:

Ebony has a snappy, crisp attack with the density of Maple, but with more brittle grains, oilier pores, and a stronger fundamental tone than Maple. It has a tremendous amount of percussive overtones in the pick attack, that mute out shortly thereafter to foster great, long, sustain.

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm

Personally, I like the feel of Rosewood, but Ebony sounds better on shorter scale guitars imo and still has a great feel.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

some people will say ebony is more shredder friendly, but i find that to be bull shit. ebony and rosewood alter the tone differetly. other than that you can be a shredder with either or.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I wasn't aware of that, that's even better for judging lol
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
i just prefer the look of ebony compared to rosewood after playing a c7 atx blackjack as opposed to a c7 hellraiser ;D
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by Quaned
i just prefer the look of ebony compared to rosewood after playing a c7 atx blackjack as opposed to a c7 hellraiser ;D
That's not a good comparison at all, the EMG vs. Duncan pickups are going to seriously skew the sound, not to mention that the Hellraiser's maple-capped and the ATX isn't.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
While we're talking about fretboard woods, I was wondering how much of a difference there would be between a maple and ebony neck on the Jackson RR24s which come with either. Would i hear a noticable difference in tone?
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by dan ramP
While we're talking about fretboard woods, I was wondering how much of a difference there would be between a maple and ebony neck

I concur.
Last edited by thatguy1893 at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by dan ramP
While we're talking about fretboard woods, I was wondering how much of a difference there would be between a maple and ebony neck on the Jackson RR24s which come with either. Would i hear a noticable difference in tone?
Ebony is like level-two maple: the defining qualities of maple as a tonewood are its bright sound, articulation, and smooth, glassy feel, and ebony has all of those, only moreso. Thus, I'd excpect the ebony neck to be more bright, articulate, and smooth.
Ebony sounds like a sweet deal, thankyou very much good sir.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
That's not a good comparison at all, the EMG vs. Duncan pickups are going to seriously skew the sound, not to mention that the Hellraiser's maple-capped and the ATX isn't.

only on the red quilted maple model. the black and white finishes are NOT maple capped.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Crohny
some people will say ebony is more shredder friendly, but i find that to be bull shit. ebony and rosewood alter the tone differetly. other than that you can be a shredder with either or.

I agree to a point. Nothing slows me down like dry rosewood.
Quote by Pretty. Odd.

Did you not read "i prefer the look of ebony" ?
i have an epi explorer with rosewood and my les paul has ebony and i really like the smooth feel of the ebony finger board especialy for hamer-ons and pull-offs and taping kinda things, i cant realy compare the sound of the two because the guitars are completely different (pickups, body, n stuff) but i like the ebony.
and and it looks sweet, jet black
Last edited by GuernZila at Dec 27, 2009,