Hi UG,
I need some help with a decision. I am torn between getting a new PRS Mike Mushok Baritone guitar, or a morpheus droptune pedal. I love practicing all kinds of styles of music, and recently I've been getting into In Flames, Breaking Benjamin, and itching to jam to other music with low tunings.

Current Gear: Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus, mainly in drop D or 1/2 step down and used for wide variety of music. Fender American Strat, stays in standard. Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR setup in Drop C, used for KSE, BFMV, and other drop C stuff. Peavey 6505+ 112 combo. A few other pedals and such, but thats the main gear.

Reasons for considering Morpheus Pedal: It is the cheaper of the options, and if the pedal works out well I would actually consider selling the Schecter. I could use the Les Paul for anything drop D and lower coupled with the morpheus droptune. I really feel a bit guilty getting yet another guitar, and because I'm definitely still a learning player it would be nice to limit the number of guitars I am switching between. Plus, the demos I have listened to dont seem to color the tone much at all with this pedal (although I know some will disagree, it doesnt really standout much to me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWsxhzXXAb8

Reasons for considering the PRS: It will be the best tone option without introducing a new pedal, everyone loves getting a new guitar, and I have played one of these before I even knew I was looking for one and I fell in love with the feel of the neck. I had no idea what the guitar at the time was but remembered it being one of the nicest feeling guitars I have ever played. Adding this guitar to my collection (even though I always say this), I really dont think I would need another instrument as this pretty much would cover everything I could possibly want to play. (Amps are another story).

What do you guys think? Thanks for the help

P.S., budget is not really an issue. I would prefer to not spend $650 on a new guitar, but the truth is I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it without issues or sacrificing savings and bills.
Last edited by GuitarDTO at Dec 26, 2009,
I think you should get the guitar. The pedal sounds worse and worse for each half step you go down on the pedal. Plus, the baritone is sweet!

(^ the end of the world)
I admit, my ears arent as trained as they could be as I have only been playing seriously for ~3 years. A good friend of mine who has been playing for 20+ years thought the pedal sounded a bit "warbly" as it went lower and lower as well.
Yeah, by the time you get to a drop Bb (Breaking Benjamin, In flames tuning), the guitar is going to sound fake.

(^ the end of the world)
Guitar all the way. Especially if you like the feel of it. You may just find a new favorite guitar, who knows?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Baritone, fo'sho. The thing I've noticed with pitch shifters (any of them) is that they sound like a synth's bending wheel. In other words, they sound like ass.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yeah, guitar for sure if you think it'll improve your playing, the playability is always more important than tone!
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
get the prs man, they work with any music style, i mean the stock pickups in those are great and they play really well
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Get the guitar. No matter how good the Morpheus sounds it can’t give you the rich tones that you get from the heavy baritone strings stretched out on that long scale. And look around at Guitar Center stores for the Schecter Blackjack C-1 EX, I got one last week new for $399. Given I shop at the Manhattan mega GC which has alternate universe pricing on a lot of stuff, but worth looking into.
Wow, quite the unanimous decision from UG! Sounds like I will be getting myself a new guitar! In my gut thats where I was leaning, but I still have a bit of guilt owning what will be my 5th guitar. Plus my wife thinks I have lost my mind.

I will check out that Schecter this week when I get a chance.....but that PRS really struck me when I played it. The Schecter also has a slightly shorter scale I believe.