ok so ive seen the term "double-tracking" around and panning and using more than one mic.... whats the typical/best/professional technique for recording guitars or is there not a "BEST" technique
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Ibanez Rg350m YE
Roland Cube 80X
Squier Acoustic << AWESOME
really, the "best" technique is the one that gets the sound you're looking for. i've heard numerous different techniques that have worked perfectly in their own situations, but wouldn't work anywhere else.

experiment. try all those things you said and go from there. be creative. try weird things. you're not wasting tape, so why not try a whole bunch of crappy ideas just to get the one that works? that's how you find new stuff.
There isn't a "Best" way to record guitar.

There is the typical "Double Track Hard Pan" you mentioned. It gets the job done.

I personally Double Track with 2 different amps for one part. Like I'm using Pod Farm set with 2 Vox AC-30s panned hard left and hard right and 2 Fender Twins set to 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock. Then the volume for the Fender Twins is set about 4 or 5 dbs below the Vox so its more for ambiance. It leaves a very full sound in the end.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
There isn't a "Best" way to record guitar.

There is the typical "Double Track Hard Pan" you mentioned. It gets the job done.

I personally Double Track with 2 different amps for one part. Like I'm using Pod Farm set with 2 Vox AC-30s panned hard left and hard right and 2 Fender Twins set to 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock. Then the volume for the Fender Twins is set about 4 or 5 dbs below the Vox so its more for ambiance. It leaves a very full sound in the end.

i dont understand this technique. why would you want one sound coming from the right and a different one coming from the left?
GEAR:
Ibanez Rg350m YE
Roland Cube 80X
Quote by summguy
i dont understand this technique. why would you want one sound coming from the right and a different one coming from the left?

They aren't different, they are the same.

2 Vox, one set hard right and one hard left
2 Twin Reverbs, one set to 10 o'clock and the other to 2 o'clock

I've got a few different effects settings on each in Pod Farm. The Vox has a delay similar to The Edge on Where The Streets Have No Name, the Twin Reverbs have a tube screamer to give it that right amount of dirt. In all, it gives a great sound for all the people like me in a U2 Wannabe band :p
oh thank so if im recording with one mic i should arm two tracks panned hard left and right?
GEAR:
Ibanez Rg350m YE
Roland Cube 80X
Quote by summguy
oh thank so if im recording with one mic i should arm two tracks panned hard left and right?

Yes but you're gonna want to record each track separately (like one take for left, one take for right). It gives it that sound every record seems to have.
True double tracking comes from playing the riff twice. Most people copy and paste nowadays though.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3