I just watched Freepower's video about posture
http://www.youtube.com/user/FreepowerUG#p/u/17/OyvGD9edWcg

I recognized myself immediately when he was talking about the wrist being bent to play on higher (lower in pitch) strings. For me, it's especially my pinky that needs to have my wrist bent to reach there. I was going to do 1234 exercises, to help my finger dexterity, but because of my wrist having to be bent to play with my pinky on the higher strings, I didn't go ahead, especially since they tensed me up on the 5th and 6th strings when they're supposed to do the opposite.

Now, his solution to this was to put the guitar on the left thigh. Problem solved. My wrist bends much less (it still does, but at a 40-50 degree angle rather than 70-90). However, he said that your arm needs to be straight from the elbow to the first knucle.
Can the arm be bent up more at the elbow? When I have my guitar on my left thigh it points up towards the sky a bit, so naturally my elbow need to be bent more than for when the guitar is on the right leg. Is this OK?

Next, right arm. This relates to my previous question. Since the guitar is tilted a bit towards the sky, my right arm can't put my hand into picking position without being bent more at the elbow. Is it OK if my picking arm is bent more at the elbow to compensate for having the guitar on my left leg?

These are pretty tricky detailed questions, so I hope you understand what I mean. Thanks!
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
And another sit down shredder is born

Seriously, are you really planning to play your music sitting down?
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
And another sit down shredder is born

Seriously, are you really planning to play your music sitting down?

You know, you can put your knee up on a speaker or a stool when playing live to get the guitar in the same position that it's in when you practice sitting. John Petrucci comes to mind especially. It works just fine for me too. Alternately, one could have the strap tightened so that the guitar sits higher on the body than normal. Tom Morello is known to do this. You're just trolling. Shame on you.
I'm not trolling at all. I'm just point out that this is absurd crap and that no one actually plays like this. If the OP really wants to put a bunch of time into the tweaking ergonomics of playing in a way that he will never play live, that's his business. But I would consider it a colossal waste of time.

Keep rocking those basements folks
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Geldin
You know, you can put your knee up on a speaker or a stool when playing live to get the guitar in the same position that it's in when you practice sitting. John Petrucci comes to mind especially. It works just fine for me too. Alternately, one could have the strap tightened so that the guitar sits higher on the body than normal. Tom Morello is known to do this. You're just trolling. Shame on you.

Solo time! Where's my stool?

GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Where's my stool?

Where's my monitor?

Bear in mind this kid's practicing sitting down already and might well have ended up in trouble doing it the way he was.

This way the guitar's in a closer position to when you're standing anyway, one of the main advantages of doing it like that.
Or you could just practice standing up with the guitar hanging naturally and avoid all this ridiculous nonsense. Or you could take something that should be really easy and do it the hard way. Doesn't really matter to me.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

I don't think good posture is ridiculous nonsense - and if it doesn't really matter to you why do you feel so strongly about it every time it's brought up? You have some strong views about what is natural - but bear in mind that some people have "naturally" picked entirely wrong ways of doing things as guitar playing is pretty far from what our hands are "naturally" designed to do.

Threadstarter, yes, you can bend at the elbow - the reason you don't want to bend your wrist too much is because the tendons you need for the finger motions of guitar playing (or wrist motions in the case of right hand technique) are going through your wrist, and if you have the wrist at a sharp angle then you cause extra friction and reduce your range of movement.