Thoughts? I love my Martin guitars. ive only played a taylor guitar a couple of times.
They are two companies that both make high end guitars.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
i could be wrong, but it might be against the rules to make versus threads?

it's mostly because these threads are stupid. both companies make unique guitars with unique sounds.

some may disagree about taylor and say it isn't unique because it's too bright, but it's that unique characteristic that brings them to hate it.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
some people like taylors, some like martins, some like gibsons and some like all three. and that's not even getting into collings, huss and dalton, goodall, breedlove and so on. there is no "martin vs taylor" because not only does each brand make many fine guitars, but each guitar has its own features. all martins won't be right for anyone nor will all taylors. a number of my favorite guitars are taylors including the gc8 and the gck, but the best guitar i ever played was a martin.

i think the best idea is to worry about sound and feel, not about brand names.
Quote by about
i could be wrong, but it might be against the rules to make versus threads?

it's mostly because these threads are stupid.

I looked through and in the general rules and the acoustic rules there was no rule against vs threads. I thought the same thing, and I think that was over in the electric guitar area that said that...

Edit: found it, its in the gear and accessories section under banned threads.
Last edited by Chaos Nil at Dec 27, 2009,
It's apples and oranges, but in this case the apples and oranges are the people, not the guitars.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
To me Taylors sound bright with more treble. The Martins have more bass response. That makes it a matter of your preference in music. Play both and as many others as you can before you choose.
im just trying to see what people think about the sounds that come from both of the guitars, not to see which is better. i know theyre both great companies.
i've never heard a tinny taylor, and i must have played 100 of them in every price range. many tend to be brighter than martins with less bass, but tinny? nah...
^ Now with 80% more "OH GAWD MY EYES! THE GOGGLES! THEY DO NOTHING!"
Quote by obeythepenguin
One's consonant-vowel-consonant-consonant-vowel-consonant, the other's... actually, they're both consonant-vowel-consonant-consonant-vowel-consonant. Hmm, I see no difference.

Seriously, Taylor does a lot more "modern" things like bolt-on necks and stock electronics, while Martin sticks to more traditional construction and features. Taylor does some nice custom instruments, but I don't care for their standard models at all, and they have a lot of dumb gimmicks like the Baby -- things Martin would never resort to at all.

Personally, I would take a Martin any day. They've been at it far longer; I prefer their more traditional style; and there is nothing like the classic Martin sound. But really, it's all a matter of personal preference.

OH MY GOD!!!! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!!!

Not really. But they're two very different sounding acoustics. Sadly, I haven't gotten a chance to play many of either. I played a Taylor 314 somethingoranother and I liked it. But those aren't the only two high up companies there are...Alvarez has some good stuff (Masterworks and Yairi series). Breedloves sound amazing, Takamine makes some high-up models, and there are loads of other companies too.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!