my first question
why can maple be glossy while rosewood can't?

my second question
do you think i'd be awesome to use both maple and rosewood? use the maple as the main and make a wicked design on it with the rosewood (kinda like the jem7 but its wood instead of pearl)
The reason why Rosewood cannot be glossed on is mainly because that Rosewood is as open porus wood, Maple isn't it is very smooth which the glossy finish won't asorb in.

as far as your second question I don' know/
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
the guy above answered your first question well enough.

for the 2nd, if done well it could be cool

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
The first was well answered previously. The second was answered as well, however I'd like to give my input. That would be very cool looking, but are you sure you could pull it off without messing anything up? Sounds like tricky work to me....
So I don't get it, why doesn't anyone like Squiers?

GEAR:
Red Affinity Series Squire Fat Strat [guitar]

Little Big Muff Pi [pedal]
The first question was not answered well enough

Maple has a hard finish on it, which can be sanded and buffed to a gloss that will take time to wear down during play,

where as rosewood and ebony does not have any finish on it, but can be buffed to a gloss (although I doubt any of the mass production factories sand their fingerboards to 2000 grit) but due to not requiring a finish the dirt that remains on the fingerboard will remove the gloss finish rather quickly.

Second question, yes wood can be used as an inlay

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man