So, I'm currently crossed between which guitar to get. My two options are:
1) Schecter Damien-7
2) PRS SE Custom 24

I know the Schecter is good for metal, because it has EMG HZ's (which I really like from what I've experienced with them) and I'm considering it because it's a 7-string.

The reason I'm posting though, is because I'm wondering if the PRS can pull off metal..
People have told me it can just fine, and it's extremely versatile. I love the fact that it's a set neck, so it'll have nice sustain, and PRS is very good quality. Can it pull of metal tones, such as heavy distortion? And lead tones for soloing and such?
I also want to be able to pull of nice cleans (I'm almost certain the PRS can pull that off though)
I also use drop tunings a lot, sometimes all the way down to drop A, so it needs to be able to handle heavier gauge strings without sounding muddy. (10 or 11 gauge)
It will mostly be in drop D, D standard, drop C, or C standard though.
So the question is: can a PRS SE Custom 24 pull off heavy metal, drop tunings, and heavy distortion?

I really want to grab one of these before they're discontinued..

My budget is around $400 to $500 USD if you're going to suggest something different to me, but I want good reason behind it.

The two guitars I'm really battling between is the Schecter Damien-7 and the PRS SE Custom 24.
The PRS SE Custom can be as metal as you want it to be. Plenty of metal and metal-ish players use PRS guitars. And if you really want to crank it, get yourself a PRS SE and put in some brain-melting pickups like the Duncan Invader or the Duncan Blackouts.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Dec 27, 2009,
PRS over schecter any day of the week. I had an SE22 for a while and loved it, I had to sell it to pay for my engl though. Great guitar, and it'll handle metal just fine. As long as you have heavy enough strings on it, downtuning should be no problem.
Thanks, that's really all I needed to hear from someone.
As for strings, would 10 gauge (Elixir or Ernie Ball) or 11 gauge (d'addario) be better for the drop tunings I listed?
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Thanks, that's really all I needed to hear from someone.
As for strings, would 10 gauge (Elixir or Ernie Ball) or 11 gauge (d'addario) be better for the drop tunings I listed?

For dropped A? Go thicker. I use 10's just for Drop Db.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
On that note, I got some 11 gauge Blues/Jazz Rock D'Addario's (11-49) for Christmas..
My Epiphone SG Special can't handle 11 gauges, and I was thinking of putting them on my Ibanez AGS73B Semi-hollow, but should I save those for the PRS?
Or just buy other 11 gauge strings?
Quote by enselmis
For drop A? Use 13-56.

Hell, I play 13-56 in standard. That's a gauge for REAL MEN!!

Just kiddin.

Haha, the heaviest gauge I've ever used is 11 for an electric.. and that's on my semi-hollow.
I have a friend who stuck 13's on his second hand BC Rich, tuned it to E, and... broke the bridge. Be careful.
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
Yeah, anything thicker than 11 for standard is quite ridiculous. And it's also ridiculous when people say "Drop A? dude you need 13s or 14s!!!1!1!!" 11s would do it alright, might be a bit loose, so I'd go with 12s for drop A. Should be solid.

I always see people suggesting guages 1 to 2 steps thicker than than what they should be. But maybe it's me, I am a sucker for thinner strings, I like to be able to bend easily.

OH, and go for the PRS! Definitely can do metal.
PRS all the way. It will be just fine with metal....and will be more versatile than the EMG's.
Got a PRS SE Singlecut for christmas, the SE custom can platy metal, as much metal as you want. PRS can play anything man.

COuple of guitarists who use PRS are Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) and Paul Allender (Cradle of Filth)
Check out my fitness blog here
Both guitarists from BTBAM also use PRS so yeah, you should be fine.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
PRS the guy from Cradle of Filth has a Sig Custom 22 or 24, I cant remember, I dont much like his music but hes got great taste in guitars. The PRS can pull of metal BETTER than the HZ'z on that Schecter can.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Ignite
Yeah, anything thicker than 11 for standard is quite ridiculous. And it's also ridiculous when people say "Drop A? dude you need 13s or 14s!!!1!1!!" 11s would do it alright, might be a bit loose, so I'd go with 12s for drop A. Should be solid.

I always see people suggesting guages 1 to 2 steps thicker than than what they should be. But maybe it's me, I am a sucker for thinner strings, I like to be able to bend easily.

OH, and go for the PRS! Definitely can do metal.

anything 10 or less for standard feels so thin I shred on 11 in standard so meh, thicker strings sound better too.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
The custom 24 comes with 10´s, if you go to much higher they wont fit in the nut then you´ll have to file the nut out. Once you do that you cant go back.
What's with all of these heavy gauges?

I use 9 gauge and it works fine with metal

I just like how those strings play
Quote by bobthebum16
What's with all of these heavy gauges?

I use 9 gauge and it works fine with metal

I just like how those strings play

Its because he plays in one of those unnecessarily low Br00t4lz tunings.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

If you get your guitar set up properly you can get strings to reach tunings you wouldn't expect them to be able to. My friend's Schecter Gryphon, same one I have damn bastard, has like 8 or 9 gauge strings and he tunes down Drop B. When we jam he always says he'll "tune up" to C standard. For me that's dropping two whole steps on my bass.

So yeah. I guess if you want you can get your guitar to use even light gauge strings to get some nice drop tuning. I'm sure that someone here will inform me that I am lying, which I'm not, or that it'll cause some serious damage or something. Either way that's my $.02
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
should be. i play metal on my epiphone les paul custom and it sounds great with stock pickups (whatever they are). just put in the right amp settings. PRS should be better cause i would imagine they are higher quality.

i would recommend youtubing prs SE custom. the guy from guitar world does a review on the 24 and SHREDS on it.

and higher guage strings geneally give a deeper sound with a bit more output (more magnetism being picked up because there is mre metal over the pickups)
Last edited by ikey_ at Dec 27, 2009,