So, I just started listening to Elizabeth and the Catapult and I love them. I know they're not jazz, but the singer apparently draws heavily from jazz influences such as Ella Fitzergerald, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughn. I don't really know who any of those people are, btw; that's just copy/pasted from Wikipedia.

But, so, my question is: if I wanted to start listening to more jazz, what would I listen to? Would the above mentioned people be a good start? What are some good songs by whomever?

If it helps, the stuff I normally listen to, excluding EatC, include Tool, A Perfect Circle, Muse, The Flaming Lips, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and MGMT.
Last edited by iforgot120 at Dec 27, 2009,
Well, interestingly, we were the first radio station in the world to play ‘Taller Children’; we’ve championed E&tC for the last 3 years or so, & Elizabeth promised us a track off the new album. Turns out we got the title track/lead single but, much to my shame, I wasn’t that struck by it on first couple of listens. We played it, nonetheless, partly because of the fuss I’d made about obtaining it pre-show recording that particular week, & also because we would have been the first radio show/station to play it anywhere in’t world, like. Not to play it would have been churlish.

On the show I expressed an opinion that I thought Elizabeth had done batter & her voice wasn’t being stretched by this ‘new direction’ i.e. aping the French swinging ’60s’ vibe (think early Cardigans, current The Bird & The Bee, etc.). However, when I received the album & heard it context it grew on me rapidly & I believe I apologised for my stupidity on air a week or so later.
============
car accident lawyer michigan
Pennsylvania brain injury lawyers