So, my 2002 MIM stratocaster is still near completely stock. Over 2010 I intend to change that and turn this thing into a badass chunk of wood. Not sure if I'll actually get any of it done, but hey, no harm in trying, eh? Plus it'd be nice to get some encouragement from people who actually understand why I wish to make the modifications I want to, considering my family keeps going on about how it's a bad idea("It works, doesn't it?" "Don't waste your money." "I thought you liked it?" "You want to do what to your guitar?").

Right then, here is Lucy, the on-and-off name for my stratocaster, when I got her October last year;

Fully stock except for the pots and wires, still in near-mind condition. Tags and everything too. Only modification I've done since is swapping the strap buttons for a DiMarzio ClipLock.

Stuff I intend to put in;

~Locking Schaller tuners ~ $75
~GFS Overwound Alnico Staggers(?) ~ $45
~Steel trem block ~ $20
~Roller string tree ~ $5
~Black pickguard?(with white pickups, knobs and switch tips a la Stevie Ray Vaughan) ~ $12 + $8 shield

Total; $145-$165

Will provide some new pics for each bit added.

So, thoughts on the modifications? Comments? Criticisms? Advice? Opinions on the black pickguard? Anything you'd suggest to do as well? Suggestions for shops? All are greatly appreciated.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 8, 2010,
Paint the body i totaly dislike that blue :S But i guess it goes good for Blues

The pickup-selector. Dude if i played on that i'd surely loose a finger cause of my fast pickup changing :S

I'm also thinking of modding my guitar but i'm not too brave :S
If you can read this... you can read!

Quote by Fat Lard
    I like semen, so what?
    Good Luck, mate. I think Its a good idea, as long as you get it right.

Google is your friend.
    Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
    Quote by strat07
    Paint the body i totaly dislike that blue :S But i guess it goes good for Blues

XD That's actually one thing I really like about it; it looks like something made in the US in contrast to the rest of the Mexican-made guitars I see! I still don't understand why Fender discontinued it. To each his own though, with aesthetics as much as tone.

The pickup-selector. Dude if i played on that i'd surely loose a finger cause of my fast pickup changing :S

Haha, don't worry, I've put a switch tip on since that photo was taken. For that precise reason actually; mid-gig I cut my right ring finger up badly.

Quote by wellsy411
    Good Luck, mate. I think Its a good idea, as long as you get it right.

Google is your friend.

Thanks. And yeah, being as this is my first build, other than asking local techies, repairmen and luthiers, google has been a close friend for me.

Also, how much of a difference does a steel block make from a zinc block?
    THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
    Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
    2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
    I agree, the color looks perfect. I'm not sure about the Black PG.

As far as the other mods, shield all the cavities and the PG. Replace the 2002's puny trem block with the heftier, solid block from 2006 and later. Upgrade the nut.

I can picture a black pickguard on that and it will look really awesome.
    As for the tuners, they're worth every cent.

What exactly does the super charger kit do.

what are you planning to do with the knobs/ the tip of the whammy bar? keep them white?
    Maybe this is an idea: http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Blender_Pot_W6.cfm
    I did this mod on my hand-made strat as well, it works perfectly and it sounds awesome. It basically allows you to blend in either the neck- or bridge pickup, so you can have the bridge and neck on simultaneously or even all the pickups at the same time.

I'll find you a proper diagram in a second.

EDIT: http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/pdf/WiringDiagram_Strat_Blender.pdf there ya go
    Last edited by Equivalence at Jan 1, 2010,
    Good plan dude, similar to what i'm trying to do, and I forgot about GFS pickups, that should save me a bit. And black pickguard would look the bees knees.
    Quote by slash11896
    I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
    I like women with balls.
    Quote by niels-uiterwaal
    Put a pearloid pickguard on it. I think it will be nicer then a black one.

Definitely. Those metallic finishes look really nice with a pearloid pickguard.
    I've never tried guitar fetish's locking tuners, but from what I hear, they're pretty nice, plus super cheap. Maybe you should try those before you spend all that money on the schallers.
    Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
    __\ _ /__
    ___ \/ ___

im also modding my MIM 50s strat, gettin som gfs '64 Stagger Texas Grey Bottoms set
    current project: 54 strat replica...almost done