I've been trying to find my ultimate guitar but I'm finding that even spending £2000 involves compromises so I've started to consider a custom build and one of the names that came up was Ran guitars. The first question is, are they any good? Do their guitars match guitars like Ibanez Prestige or Caparison?

Assuming they are of equal or superior quality, there are then a few things on their specification sheet that I know nothing about so I'd appreciate some help.

1) What are the advantages of the neck having a body finish, clear glos or clear satin?

2) I am given a choice of fret sizes as Dunlop 6000, 6100, 6105, 6110, 6130, 6150 and 6230. None of these mean anything to me. I just know I want jumbo frets like the Ibanez Prestige models.

3) What would be the best locking trem system to get? I'm thinking either OFR, Schaller FR or one of the Ibanez Edge units.

4) What are the best tuning machines to specify as the ones on their list mean nothing to me? I'm thinking either Schaller M6 or Gotoh 510.

5) What's the difference between having pickup rings or having them direct mounted?

Thanks for your help.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman

1) What are the advantages of the neck having a body finish, clear glos or clear satin?

there are no real advantages or disadvantages,
A glossed neck it has a different feel, and can feel a bit stickier than a satin finish neck - especially when new. Apart from that it is aesthetics.

Quote by Doadman
2) I am given a choice of fret sizes as Dunlop 6000, 6100, 6105, 6110, 6130, 6150 and 6230. None of these mean anything to me. I just know I want jumbo frets like the Ibanez Prestige models.

I'm not sure which one is the one o f those are jumbo, should be relatively easy to establish though (I'd guess 6150 or 6230).

Quote by Doadman
3) What would be the best locking trem system to get? I'm thinking either OFR, Schaller FR or one of the Ibanez Edge units.

Any one of these is good.

Quote by Doadman
4) What are the best tuning machines to specify as the ones on their list mean nothing to me? I'm thinking either Schaller M6 or Gotoh 510.

Any decent quality ones, it doesn't matter much since you'll meed a locking nut to go with your trem

Quote by Doadman
5) What's the difference between having pickup rings or having them direct mounted?

purely aesthetic.
Go with the OFR, and see if they have sperzel locking tuners. Locking nut (from the OFR) and locking tuners equals ultimate tuning stability !!!

and i d go with pickup rings cause then you dont have that gap between the pickups and the body. Go with a finished glossed neck. It ll age better than the other IMO, and looks better as its usually the same color as the body.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
1) Not too sure about it
2) I think the JEM has a Dunlop 6100 fretwire, so I'd go with that one. Here is a link with the chart: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=5665998
3) If you can get an original Ibanez Edge, or a Lo-Pro, that would be the way to go. If that's out of the question, I'd personally go for the Schaller.
4) Personally, Schaller m6.
5) I've never really worked without a pick-up ring, so I wouldn't really know what the use would be of removing it. I'm thinking it's just for the sake of aesthetics so I'd just keep them.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Thanks guys, that's all really useful information and opinions. As I'm largely thinking of basically getting a Prestige RGT built I suppose it would be sensible to buy one of those but the only RGT Prestige they do is the RGT320Q, which is £2150 and even at that price I dislike the colours on offer and more importantly, I don't like the stock pickups and there seems to be some question marks over the Edge Zero trem. If a custom builder can match the build quality of guitars like this then perhaps it's more sensible to go that route as I may end up spending the same money but have the guitar I actually want.

As for what is my dream guitar, think of the Ibanez RGT320Q as a starting point, change the pickups to Bare Knuckle humbuckers with a Seymour Duncan single coil sized humbucker in the middle and the pickup options of an Ibanez Egen18 with a locking trem of my choice (still not sure what to get on that). The headstock will probably be more like a Jackson and I'm still unsure about the colour but certainly something that will show off the quilted maple. I'm thinking either purple with gold hardware

http://www.harmony-central.com/ProductImages/Large/000008790.jpg

or red with black hardware

http://www.gruhn.com/photo/EZ4972b.jpg
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by ItWillDo
2) I think the JEM has a Dunlop 6100 fretwire, so I'd go with that one. Here is a link with the chart: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=5665998

From memory mr Vai uses 6105 sized frets... Whether they're on the production JEM or not I don't know. 6100 has the same height but is wider, 6000s are just mahoosive.

Out of Gotoh and Schaller, Gotoh wins for me. But the hollow sperzels are even better IMO (I believe they're called "vintage locking" or similar)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I have good things from warmoth, you should check them out.
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
Quote by WishfulShredder
if you want metal, live in england and have shittons of pounds
GO BLACKMACHINE FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST

http://www.blackmachine.net/

also the B2 has 6100 fretwire

Damn, I need a towel and some new boxers now.

Thanks.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
IIRC RGs use 6150
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join