I keep hearing people saying modeling amps can't take pedals.

So I did my own experiment today.

Most people said to use pedals on the jcclean settings on the cube series.

So I did it with ds-1 (MIT stock) but the problem is you would only get the pedal distortion sound.

When I switched to the plexi/classic stack, i get a lot of feedback, but I one thing I did is I turn the gain below 9 o'clock, and with the pedal off, I get a clean marshall sound, and when I kick in the ds-1, I get a distortion that is NOT purely based on the pedal but also very plexi sounding.

I think the key to using pedals with modeling amps, is to make sure you don't turn your modeled amp's gain over 9 o'clock.

This way you retain the amp characteristic while at the same time, coloring the pedal you're using, so you get the benefits of how different amp models work with the pedal.

More choices of sound, no feedback or noise, other than the inherent ds-1 buzz which is famous, and with my single coil.

So why do people keep saying you can't use pedals with modeling amps? I find that it is actually ok and pleasant as long as you keep the gain down on the amp itself.

With the VOX VT series, same thing, don't push your luck with the gain settings on the amps and your pedal can work nicely.
Or you could just get an amp that takes pedals without you having to beat it into submission...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by sfx
I keep hearing people saying modeling amps can't take pedals.

I think the key to using pedals with modeling amps, is to make sure you don't turn your modeled amp's gain over 9 o'clock. This way you retain the amp characteristic while at the same time, coloring the pedal you're using, so you get the benefits of how different amp models work with the pedal.

More choices of sound, no feedback or noise, other than the inherent ds-1 buzz which is famous, and with my single coil.

So why do people keep saying you can't use pedals with modeling amps? I find that it is actually ok and pleasant as long as you keep the gain down on the amp itself.

Good advice here SFX. I'm in the same boat and experiementing with my DOD YJM308 Overdrive pedal now - just to color the sound (similar to how a classic 1970's grey DOD 250 does) and get a blend of the amp's tone and the smooth Yngwie Malmsteen-like overdriven tones. You can use pedals on solid state and modeling amps using the method you verified does work. Yngwie himself does the same thing with his MG practice amp that he uses in his living room and even takes on tour for backstage use!

The people with tube amps supposedly giving suggestions, generally don't care about our solid state amp choices and generally shun the use of them. We do have bills to pay to support our families and can't always save money ("it's the economy stupid") just for some personal $500+ tube amp fantasy that we can't play anyway in our house without the neighbors calling the cops on us, or being served divorce papers!

LOL, remember this funny opening scene from the original Back To The Future Movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feXM9Nml_74
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by Yngwie#1
Good advice here SFX. I'm in the same boat and experiementing with my DOD YJM308 Overdrive pedal now - just to color the sound (similar to how a classic 1970's grey DOD 250 does) and get a blend of the amp's tone and the smooth Yngwie Malmsteen-like overdriven tones. You can use pedals on solid state and modeling amps using the method you verified does work. Yngwie himself does the same thing with his MG practice amp that he uses in his living room and even takes on tour for backstage use!

The people with tube amps supposedly giving suggestions, generally don't care about our solid state amp choices and generally shun the use of them. We do have bills to pay to support our families and can't always save money ("it's the economy stupid") just for some personal $500+ tube amp fantasy that we can't play anyway in our house without the neighbors calling the cops on us, or being served divorce papers!

LOL, remember this funny opening scene from the original Back To The Future Movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feXM9Nml_74

Bold #1.I already didnt like Yngwie, but thats just
2. If you look in my sig, I have an SS Modeller.
3. Weird, mine cost me $312
4. Again weird, that hasn't happened yet.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I have all modeling, solid state, hybrid and tube amps.

They can work fine with pedals if you know how to use them.

Btw it's really only with the drive/distortion pedals. I think everything else should work fine with either modeling/solid state amps.

It's just the distortion/overdrive need some coaxing and prudence with the amp's gain.
If I bought a tube amp over $300 my wife would kill me. It was hard enough to get my Fender Standard Strat for $400 but I did get $100 off trading in a Squier Stagemaster HH. But I would really like a Marshall Class5 - if the next generation if it just had a few extra features added. It just seems 'too basic' with only Volume, Treble, Middle, and Bass knobs. Add maybe Gain, Reverb, Master Volume, and now we're talking.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return